Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
bentrod1

Mounting a transducer - HELP!

I've been trying to figure out how to mount a transducer to my yak. I've looked at mounting through the scupper hole, inside mount and outside mount etc. The best looks to be inside mount using various forms of glues, jellies (vasoline) and epoxies.

My question(s):
  1. Can someone provide me with step by step instructions (I'm another pain in the ass rookie)
  2. Does the transducer sit on top of the plastic separated by only the glue or epoxy etc.?
  3. Reservoir or no reservoir?
  4. How much of the transducer should be covered with water?
  5. Drill a hole for the cord? (yep definitely a rookie )
I've seen so much knowledge passed back and forth via this forum and appreciate your help.

Bret
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

Try this site http://kayakfishinggear.com/fishfinderhowto.aspx
Most people go with the transducer gooped on the inside the hull.
Hope this helps.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski

Last edited by zinkysd; 12-28-2009 at 07:13 PM.
zinkysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Sloberdog
Junior

Transducers go bad, I know, mine took a dump. I had the same question you did when I first got it and ended up "gooping" it inside the hull. Removing the glued in transducer is a real pain to deal with and have zero intention of doing that again.

I have had the transducer glued/gooped in, held in place by glued in foam that was filled with electrical grease, and currently using the glued in foam method and filling it with 1/2 cup of water before each use (this is what I recommend as I get excellent readings and I can easily remove it).
Sloberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My FF just crapped out. It was still under warranty so I returned it to West Marine and exchanged it for a new one. (See another recent thread for more on this).

When I removed the old gooped in transducer today, I was really surprised to see that the entire surface that was supposed to be in contact with the plastic was covered with bubbles. I was really careful to avoid any bubbles when I installed this transducer.I followed the excepted procedure perfectly. Somehow I must have messed up. After looking at all the bubbles, I am surprised that the thing worked at all, let alone for two years.

While I am technically no longer a rookie, I have to say that just like Bentrod, I could use some good advise on installing the transducer on my new unit so I can avoid the bubble problem. Is the foam and water method a better way to go? Is there another better method?

Sloberdog, if you know of a link that demonstrates the installation method that you used, please post. If this method is used, will the transducer stay in place when transporting or storing the kayak upside down?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Goop bubbles as it cures. Any movement of the transducer just makes it worse. In spite of the bubbles, both of these gave good readings down to about 550'-650' depth; depending on conditions.

I don't think the bubbles were this bad when attached. It took a lot of force to pull these up, so it's likely that some of that was caused by the removal.

I've been pondering how I'm going to mount the transducer in my new yak. I've Gooped the last 4 that I installed. Before that I used 3M 5200. The 5200 makes an ungodly mess of things but provides a good mechanical attachment and creates a more uniform bond. Either can give acceptable results. I would rather mount it in a scupper or over the side, but I don't want the transducer cable exposed.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Podaker

I used a two part slow cure epoxy recommended by billy v and have had no problems in over a year. previously I had a piece of foam fitted to hold the transducer under water and after the boat rolled or pitched the water would find a way out resulting in loss of signal. lots of people use marine goop or other epoxy's. my advise is whatever you use make sure once you set it be sure it sets long enough to dry completely and don't mess with it.
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I want to give the "wet mount" transducer installation method a try. One of the problems with the foam with water procedure is that you have to constantly monitor the water in the transducer well. I would like a wet mount that is basically setup and forget just like the goop method.

I thought I had a great original idea on how to accomplish this until I did a little Goggling and found an Aussie who appears to have beat me to the solution. Check out this link for more. http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22577

I will be giving this method a try tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Sloberdog
Junior

I did not have much success keeping the PVC plastic glued to the hull, that is when I decided to try the (packing) foam method, and that has been working great! I have it on my Outback and it fits in the cut-out pocket nice and snug. I transport the kayak upside down and it has ever come out. Good luck.

Semi-Permanent: I think more guys are using this method, basically it's just a piece of foam glued down to hull of the kayak with an area cut out to hold your transducer and keep it in contact with the bottom of the kayak. When it comes to gluing it down Lexel or Marine Goop works fine. The cut out for the transducer you should be tight so it fits snug. I use this method and it works great, sometimes I will have to place a little water in the cut-out so there is no air (transducers can't shoot thru air), another tip is use a little Vaseline inside the foam but water can also work as long as it stays on the packet, usually once you put it in there it stays there for a while and will insure a good reading. This set-up also gives you the ability to move from kayak to kayak whether using portable or non-portable
Sloberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
bentrod1

Keep 'em coming!

I am in no way trying to kill this post as I'm getting so much great info from you guys...as usual, but thank you all for your posts. I'm still researching ideas.

Dsafety, I like the Aussie's idea but will give you credit anyway. How are you securing the transducer to the hull?

I was thinking of using insulation foam to build a well but am now thinking of using that well secured with A and B 2 part epoxy putty then for added insulation and stabilization spraying the foam around the base of the plastic reservoir.

You've all probably seen this foam displayed at any H.D. or Lowe's. It's used for new window/door installs. I have to see how it will adhere to the yak. Since the foam is used on vinyl windows I think it should work well.?

FYI - I have the Hummingbird 160 PT (portable - never used it). Seems like a cool set up so far. The case houses all but the transducer. $129 at BPS. A nice little gift from the Mrs. I wonder if she knows that my Fathers Day gift (kayak) and Christmas gifts (rod, lures, line, fish finder) means she'll be seeing a lot less of me? Or maybe that's the plan? Either way....

Thanks for all your ideas and research!
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote