Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
StinkyMatt

Can you say Squid light?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
tacklebox
I got gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Can you say Squid light?
Squid light.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
silentviper

I've wanted to do something of this sort for my PA14 and mount some strips of led lights underneath the mounting rails as deck lights, i guess you could mount some on the outside of the hull and make all kinds of light show effects (Boat Parade anyone?)

benefit of this stuff is it's waterproof and if you cut it and solder wires in to patch it i heard all you have to do is epoxy it. http://www.amazon.com/300LEDs-multi-...ef=pd_sbs_lg_4
silentviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

So who will be the first on the West Coast to give this a try?

You can splice different colors together, (they make red and green for the bow). There are versions that send the light straight out or at a 90 degree angle downwards. There are multiple color temperatures available ranging from the cool, blue/white to warm which is yellowish like a candle flame.

The ones I saw were attached to the hull with something similar to Goop. Since the strips are flexible, almost any adhesive will probably work.

If you really want to get innovative, you could have multiple circuits. One for colored bow and stern lights. Another with a down facing, bait attracting array and a third to just light your way and make your little kayak highly visible at night.

The really cool thing is that since these are LED, they hardly use any juice at all. A full array of lights could run all night, probably multiple nights on a single charge.

If this catches on, I can see the possibility that some kayak manufactures might consider adding recessed mounting grooves, to allow for easy installation, as a feature included in future models.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas