Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #21
GoGoGoJack

Thanks Johhny B! San O is still on my summer bucket list!!!! I have little doubt I'll get my booty kicked!!! I have this ugly scene in my mind of trying to walk it in... Getting pounded by a surprise set... And stubbornly Holding on for dear life to that handle bar that's on the front of the PA... And getting dragged up on some rocks😱😱😱😱😱
Trying hooping for first time this Thursday night... Wife will be glad the bags of frozen mackerel will finally be outta the freezer😜😜😜
GoGoGoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #22
taggermike

Great trip and report. I tend to describe sea lions in harsher terms than "rascally". I'd recommended using heavier line than 20 lb. Spending 1/2 hour fighting a fish gives the dogs plenty of time to find you. And with lobster season in swing there are going to be 100s/1000s of traps out. YT will wrap in trap lines and break you off. So heavier line is the way to go. Ive been running my baits a bit closer to the yak this year and being extremely vigilant looking and listening for dogs. I can usually wind in n put the bait in tank before the dog can rip me off. They'll chill under the yak for a while trying to wait you out. I throw an iron for a bit and they'll often zip over to the splash a couple tines before they swim off. With bait so hard to catch now losing a couple to dogs can be a major set back. Its kinda strange, I would never go on a Baja trip with out taking at least a dozen crocs. But I rarely use them locally. I gotta put a couple in my box. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #23
TINCANYAK
Junior

Hi Jack,
Nice post. Steve and I went out past Barber Poles Saturday hitting one bird feeding frenzy for one big hit before it dissipated then up to the Strand....nada. LJ was the best bet that weekend. I use 60 spectra to 40 floro just to get jigs and line back out of the kelp. Rolled it also on the first return....just like everyone else has at some point. Have you heard anything from Rich?
John
TINCANYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #24
Vikingj

Smile

Super job, Jack! and thank you for the report. From DP to LJ the YT are trembling w fear. I need to take my krocodile along for backup when bait is scarce. As for the early morning bath...you probably needed it. I thought I detected a "gamey" smell when we were fishing together last time!
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seadogs, yellow tail