Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
absentx

Pretty sure new Kayaks this spring!

Well I just don't think I can resist anymore. My wife and I have two 2009 Hobie Outbacks and we absolutely love them. If there is one weak link though, its the seats as my wife gets uncomfortable pretty fast in it. I can make it work all day, but it can get annoying.

These new vantage seats on the 2015's look like complete game changers to me. Plus the modifications for standing seem really nice too..I find trying to stand in my current model is an exercise in getting wet. I think as soon as my local dealer has one in that we can at least sit on and make sure its everything we want it to be we will get the ball rolling.

Now...what can I get for two 2009 Mirage Outbacks??? Hmmm...one nicely rigged for fishing and the other nice and stock for the misses. I hear they fly out of driveways when for sale, but I don't want to be unrealistic. $2500 for both seems to be the number I keep going to but that might be a bit high. Much harder to find for sale around where I live than coastal areas I think.
absentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Rambo

I think the price is more than fair. But the picture will do some justice. If the condition of each kayak is in good condition it'll move quickly with the sale. I say Good luck with the sale.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
absentx

Indeed. Once I have them down from their racks I will be taking lots of pictures. Going to be including some extras like the Hobie Live well too.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

My opinion is that it is fair for a V2 mirage drive and one with the stow and go rudder. Maybe not if it is V1 or not the stow and go.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
absentx

Would also be curious to hear any first hand experience from others who have upgraded to a 2015 outback from an older model. To me it seems like the seat and the standing upgrades would just be huge, but I actually have yet to hear from anyone who has upgraded.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
absentx

Well it all came together. My 2009's are down the road to a happy new owner and we pick up two new Outbacks tomorrow. We had two Moss colored 09's but I didn't like the new green color as much so we went with one in Dune for the wife and a Papaya one for me.

Can't wait to get started rigging. Looking forward to not having to pull teeth or solve puzzles to get my HDS transducer cleanly mounted...can't wait to rig it up with that Lowrance ready system.

Plus getting to rig a kayak all over again is going to be a blast, plus I have six years of experience with the other one of knowing what works and what doesn't.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
TJones

standing upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentx View Post
Would also be curious to hear any first hand experience from others who have upgraded to a 2015 outback from an older model. To me it seems like the seat and the standing upgrades would just be huge, but I actually have yet to hear from anyone who has upgraded.
What are the standing upgrades ? Are you referring to standing up in kayak , and do they make some some sort of brace or h bar ? I have had a similar year model as yours , and currently own 2014 and 2015 . I have stood up in both , which I do not recommend . Oddly enough I was more comfortable standing up in 2014 . I felt like I had a wider stance on the 2014 which leads to more stability (jmo) . My issues of monkey but are long gone with the new vantage seat and with that being the case , I will be doing more sitting than standing . My bets are on you and your wife loving the time on water together in your new yaks .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
TJones

rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentx View Post
Well it all came together. My 2009's are down the road to a happy new owner and we pick up two new Outbacks tomorrow. We had two Moss colored 09's but I didn't like the new green color as much so we went with one in Dune for the wife and a Papaya one for me.

Can't wait to get started rigging. Looking forward to not having to pull teeth or solve puzzles to get my HDS transducer cleanly mounted...can't wait to rig it up with that Lowrance ready system.

Plus getting to rig a kayak all over again is going to be a blast, plus I have six years of experience with the other one of knowing what works and what doesn't.
Rigging the new kayak will take an hour and a half tops to install a fish finder with a transducer in the water. No muss , no fuss . No better way .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
absentx

Well it was my understanding that the reason they flattened out the middle hatch area in front of the seat and put the foam blocks down there was for a better standing area.

And, as you can see in the attached image, Hobie did mount an HBar on one at a show or something.

But - I tend to agree with your sentiment on the standing anyways. I stood up in my 09 once and I kind of went

"I think I would be crazy to do this on any kind of regular basis"

With an H-bar, the easier position to stand from with the Vantage Seat and a flatter area to stand though, that might make me more likely to stand.

Completely looking forward to the new seats, the old ones made my wife's back uncomfortable after awhile and it just looks like a massive upgrade. We did try them out when demoing the boats and we loved them, but I am really looking forward to trying them out on the water for real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h-bar.jpg (82.8 KB, 99 views)