Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
absentx

washdown pump/kit for kayak

So has anyone ever installed a washdown pump in their kayak?

This might sound a bit crazy, but hear me out!

Many times my kayak is in a situation of continuous use for many days without the ability to come back home, reset, clean it off and do normal maintenance.

A few times a year I basically "live" out of my kayak for five to eight days at a time and I am in and out of it all the time dragging mud, dirt, sand and everything else back into the kayak with me. I have an Outback by the way. All this mud and dirt has a real impact on the function of my center hatch after a few days.

Was just thinking a bit of pressurized water a few times a day or after I hop back in with wading boots full of sand might really help. Plus - I could see lots of other uses for it on a ten day kayak camping trip.

I am already wired up for my depth finder, so 12volt power isn't an issue. I just know that most "washdown" pumps are much more significant in both cost and size to a regular bilge pump, but to be honest I don't think I have ever even seen a washdown pump in person so I am not sure on the size factor.

Just an idea I have been playing around with and curious if anyone has tried any on-kayak solutions. The hose works great at home, but I need something for when that isn't an option. Perhaps there is a mechanical possibility out there I haven't considered.
absentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
2-Stix

Jim Sammons has a set up for washing off at his truck. I have not come across a unit in/on the yak.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Deamon

Keeping it simple. Helps saltwater rinse the yak, scares the shit out of seals when thrown...supplement your bait tank, wets/cools fish off... Cheapies at 99 cent stores. Mine is like quart size...?
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2446.JPG (39.8 KB, 227 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
Jim Sammons has a set up for washing off at his truck. I have not come across a unit in/on the yak.
There was a similar thread on this a while back. I don't remember what it was called but I do remember the team sewer guys had a wash down system out of there truck that seemed ideal.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Sponge for the WIN

http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-7-1-2...-3VP/203260188
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Sparklets 5 gallon bottle/ any big water container and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Portable...oAAOSwt5hYcgyy

I use this as warm post dive shower. Fill up with hot water before I leave the house and its usually still warm 6 hours later when I'm getting out of the water. Cant beat 13$.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.

Last edited by Denis_Ruso; 02-14-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

No need to have a washdown pump on your kayak, though it would be nice...all you need for your on the kayak needs is just like jim has pictured, some sort of container. Personally I have a plastic pitcher from the .99c store that I not only use for rinsing and cleaning while on the water, I use it to dump water into my bait tank as a back up.

Now as far as washing your kayak down...get yourself or build yourself a washdown system for your car or truck. That should solve your problems with the salt and the sand....
Old 02-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
jorluivil

Carry a few rags and some sort of water container in your kayak and you're good to go.

Here's the washdown tank.......post 494

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...t=6394&page=25

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
absentx

Yeah some type of container is a really practical idea, but something I rarely have out there.

Ahhh, like the washdown tank thanks for the thread!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
MrPukaShell

If you want something portable what do you think of this?http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-2...0459/205730091
I used to have one that I put up a set of misters on. I would put it in the daughters dugout during softball games. Worked great on hot days.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

If you want to rinse off your gear, you need volume and pressure. The insecticide sprayer offers pressure but no volume. You can get your gear wet with it...but rinsing it off cleanly and quickly is just not possible unless you open it up and dump the water out on your gear...
Old 02-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
If you want to rinse off your gear, you need volume and pressure. The insecticide sprayer offers pressure but no volume. You can get your gear wet with it...but rinsing it off cleanly and quickly is just not possible unless you open it up and dump the water out on your gear...
Or you can just wait until you get home and wash everything down in the driveway

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #13
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I used to rise salt off my axles and hubs on my boat trailer....

At the launch with a Hudson hand pump sprayer.....

Last edited by MITCHELL; 02-14-2017 at 09:18 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
5-20

Nobody's tried the Rinse Kit that was on the Shark Tank recently and can be found at Dana Landing and some other stores around here?
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I use a 3 gallon pump sprayer. I bought mine on Amazon Prime based on the highest ratings for a 3 gallon sprayer. Harbor Freight has a 2 gallon sprayer for $15, or a larger 4-gallon backpack configuration for $28.

I replaced the foo-foo wimpy misty garden sprayer wand tip with a dish washing nozzle & hose available from Home Depot for kitchen sinks ($9). The spray and volume is much better. I adapted the two different size hoses & dish spray hose connector with a brass connector from the plumbing department at HD. It's a screw fitting on one side and a press in hose connector on the other. The screw side easily disassembles by hand for convenient stowing in the back of my van.

This is what my adaptation of hoses looks like:

I split a section of typical engine hose to stiffen the smaller plastic tube from the sprayer tank to prevent kinking. From what you see in the photo, I then wrapped the split engine hose tightly with Rescue Tape.

Rescue Tape is a kind of waterproof rubber-like tape that can be applied wet because it bonds/fuses to itself without glue. Suitable for repairing blown radiator hoses, for example. Rescue Tape is also part the small emergency repair & first aid kit I carry in my kayak.

Rescue Tape
https://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-TAPE-B...ds=rescue+tape
Generic "Rescue Tape" for cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Rep...cy+repair+tape

The combination of 3 gallons of water with a dish sprayer works perfectly. I think I wouldn't want to fuss with less than 3-gallon garden sprayer capacity.

3 gallons is enough for most post-fishing purposes, including rinsing poles & equipment, my kayak and myself. I have a 5-gallon sparkletts bottle as backup, but generally don't need it unless fishing buddies want to borrow my sprayer for themselves.

I learned from our local famous Shimano reel service guy (Glenn) that adding 20-30% non-ammonia Windex to my water will repel salt from my gear in sheet-like runoff. If I'm planning to use my sprayer as a personal shower then I keep the water pure. Both approaches work well.

--------

If you are talking about *IN* the kayak, then I'll splash with a cup or use a Shamwow to keep things tidy.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 02-15-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
Nobody's tried the Rinse Kit that was on the Shark Tank recently and can be found at Dana Landing and some other stores around here?
The Rinse Kit requires charging pressure from a hose bib to inflate a balloon-like bladder for output pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Rinse-Kit-869...ords=rinse+kit

The Rinse Kit is only 2 gallons, and because it requires hose pressure to fill, a backup 5-gallon Sparkletts water bottle is useless for refills.

That's why I went with a hand pump.

If you want to spend another $50 on top of $75 for a 2 gallon Rinse Kit, you can get a Rinse Kit field pump kit that basically does the same thing as my hand pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Rinse-Kit-Fie...ords=rinse+kit

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 02-15-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #17
absentx

Appreciate all the replies. Lots of good info here.

Sprayers, buckets, sponges, washdown kits back at the truck...all really solid ideas.

However - my situation is quite unique, I love marine plumbing, I love kayak projects AND I am a bit crazy...so I am going for it.

I picked up a Jabsco Par Max 3GPM pump today. Ultimate goal will be to have this thing serve as an emergency bilge pump, a washdown pump and an on demand live-well pump/aerator if needed.

So I think if I do it right, I can get three practical kayak applications out of one pump. Worst case I abandon the project and make a portable spray kit for my truck.

The thing only weights 3.5 pounds so its not even that heavy.

I'm going to take the weekend to meticulously plan out the plumbing, electrical and routing of various things and only will proceed if it gives me all the advantages I want and involves minimal risk to the hull and integrity of the craft.

I'll post in the innovations thread if it works out!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #18
2-Stix

bitchen!
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote