Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

10/24 Just like Brad's.......

Brad, didn't you say you caught a leapard shark on Sunday

Surf was only a foot high, next to no wind. Launched at deep greylight and hit the pier. Found some lil greenbacks under the lights. The bait boat was not far and heading out towards it, I was able to add some sardines to the tank. Lots of scattered birds diving. Water is green again. Wind picked up early. A few mackeral on the iron was it. Doing one last speed drift out in front of the pier, got bit on the greenback. Was pretty sure it was what it was, but when they don't break off, ya got hold out some hope. Peering over the side looking for color, "Ahh crap!" It put up a fun fight and did finally break off as I tried to release it. Most likely I will be back on Wednesday for more punishment.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
madscientist

Yep, that looks just like one of the three leopards I got on Sunday. Two of mine ran hard from the get go so I knew they were not flat, but one just played dead on the bottom. That one got my heart racing until I saw the tail at color. Those things drive me nuts.

I have a weird question. Does anyone know of a taxidermist or other that can make shark leather from the skin of one of these? I'd really like a leopard shark skin hat, boots, belt, or something of the sort. Figure I could find a cobbler, hatter, or whatnot if I could provide the material.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
hubz
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
I have a weird question. Does anyone know of a taxidermist or other that can make shark leather from the skin of one of these? I'd really like a leopard shark skin hat, boots, belt, or something of the sort. Figure I could find a cobbler, hatter, or whatnot if I could provide the material.
A quick web search produced this:

http://www.primitiveways.com/processing_sharkskin.html

The example only deals with a small piece of skin, but the concepts are there.

-Mark
hubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
A quick web search produced this:

http://www.primitiveways.com/processing_sharkskin.html

The example only deals with a small piece of skin, but the concepts are there.

-Mark
Thanks for the link, but that looks to produce some pretty tough rawhide. And I don't relish the idea of soaking it in urine. Would have to drink a 12pack to get enough for a whole hide. Wait, maybe that's not such a bad idea...
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote