Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
bwana

DP, should have hit LJ

Stayed local, later wish I hadn't...

Water temp varied from 67.9 to 71.5 degrees. Overcast. Sloppy offshore conditions. Wind blowing one way, current and swell another. 2 – 3 ‘ swell. NNW wind picked up steady 10 – 15 MPH about 10:30. Launched about 0600, returned before noon.

FF GPS stated 8.91 miles paddled. I headed north out of DP to other side of Salt Creek almost to Mussel Cove.

Hooked on a small bonito at the harbor entrance and took him for a ride all the way to the North of Salt Creek. Stayed along 60’ contour until I got close to the point hoping for a thresher or ?.

Current laid down most of the kelp so I paddled inside and outside and across the kelp beds off Salt Creek and Strands hoping something would hit him. Not even a strike. Moved back outside red buoy on the point and caught a limit of small bonito for lobster fishing. Could have easily caught hundreds. Came across small bonito schools from the harbor entrance to beyond the point.

Now I have enough small bonito chunks for my first night of lobster fishing to partially fill each bait cage. Need to catch some more.

Passed a kayaker fishing on the inside and had a very small halibut hanging off the side on a game clip. Didn't look legal and he had a guilty look about him. Karma has a way of paying back.

Conditions from the fish reports/photos looked much better in LJ.

Wish I had a worthy picture to post..
Mike
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
DanaPT

Passed a kayaker fishing on the inside and had a very small halibut hanging off the side on a game clip. Didn't look legal and he had a guilty look about him. Karma has a way of paying back

maybe his hands, kayak, fishing pole etc. are huge.

Wasn't me.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Had to work all weekend, now I don't feel so bad for missing fishing

I've never had much luck trolling baits at DP, but plenty of catches while drifting the bottom. I'm really not interested in Thresher though so I don't troll much. I'd love to see a day where the wind and the current were opposite. I usually have to work hard at staying on a spot, it would be a nice relief to have the wind helping me hold position.

I see people keeping shorts at DP all the time. I hope karma is real!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
straightrod

Smile

9/13/14 9:30AM Dana Point, 113 feet depth off the pipe. Wife trolling dorsal hooked greenback, three feet of segar flouro 10# to 25# braid with 2oz sliding egg stopped by a swivel. I told her with that light rod and reel to watch out. Bam, 1/2 hour later and a ride toward Camp Pendelton she lands 42" Yellowtail. Our first one. Coming back in heading north toward the harbor the swell and high winds plus chop crashed over her for for a long time before the safety of the harbor. No complaints from wife.

9/2014 Dana Point. Trolling 4" Xmas Hammerhead 1/2oz, three feet 25# flouro to braid. Lost two, got one small Yellotail to the the kayak. 130' to 240' trolling toward the kelp beads.

They are out there and they are hungry!
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote