Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
PeterP
Junior

Hobie vs Native--- who wins???

I have a 7 year old Ocean Kayak that I fish in the Atlantic. I live in San Francisco and will fish in the Bay and the Pacific Ocean (windy, strong currents, swells, and chop).

I am looking at a 14.5 Native Propel and the Hobie equivalent. I'm a big guy (6' at 230lbs).

Of the Hobie and Native which is the best fit for the unruly waters of the Pacific and best combines speed and stability?

Many Thanks

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Drew

Full Disclosure: I'm a Hobie dealer and a long-time Hobie kayak guy...

That being said I'm also a big fan of lots of other kayaks and try to look at them without too much bias. I'm not a big fan of the current Propel system from Native. It's a good idea to try and compete with Hobie for the pedal-power market but the rotary pedal (like a bike) system forces you to raise your legs really high relative to your hips.

Secondly, the hull design they are using is still too closely related to the canoe and not the more traditionally flat-topped style of the sit-on-top kayak. For flat water this would be fine, maybe even better, but in the ocean it's going to be a lot tougher through surf. The waves have more edges, corners and volume grab on the Native.

It can go backwards, though, and that's cool.

I really love the Hobie Mirage system, kind of like that old commercial: I loved it so much I bought the company (dealership)

I'm also a big guy, 6'4", 220 and the Hobie Revolution is my boat. It's almost as fast as the Adventure but drier, rigs well for fishing and of the 3 brands of kayaks we carry in our shop it outsells everything else by 5:1.

If you can find the Propel then get a demo and let us know your thoughts, do the same for the Revo, Pro Angler and Outback. Good luck!
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Billy V

I spent some time talking to the Native guy at the Fred Hall Show in Del Mar.
He said right from the beginning that the Hobie Mirage drive was more efficient than the Native propeller drive.

I was looking at the boat closely and noticed that the rudder on the (sit on top model) didn't look to be suited for surf launches and landings. It doesn't fully retract like the Hobie.
The Canoe model had a fully retractable rudder,but i don't think you would want that offshore.

The Native did have a salt water trolling motor option for extra cost, but Hobie is coming out with their own motor option in the future.

The Native reminds me of the New Hobie Pro Angler. I don't know anyone who has actually tested the Native but I have seen it run on youtube. It is more like actual bicycle peddling, were as the Hobie is a straight push on the peddles.

As for stability I really can't say which is better, but my Hobie Revolution is plenty stable.

They are doing a Demo April 4th. Tomorrow. The dealer is based out of Newport Beach.

I would go Hobie all the way, just based on what I saw.

Heres a vid. There are more on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3Fq...rom=PL&index=2
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
seeker
Junior

hobie vs native

There is no comparison, just buy a Hobie!
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
psychoclown
U BEEN CLOWNED

Hands Hown,... Hobie wins
psychoclown is offline   Reply With Quote