Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
out of reach

Best kayak fishing ??

That other post got me thinkin..

If you could go anywhere in the world to kayak fish where would it be? Someplace you could paddle to, not be taken in a boat. Fish for larger tuna, marlin, wahoo, etc.... And who wants to go
out of reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Guam wouldn't be bad...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
FISHIONADO

South Africa! My bro-in-law from Durbin said the yellowtail over there are like the bonita or barricuda here, nuisance fish for most of us. They catch marlin, sailfish, yft, skipjack, dorado, wahoo, and king & queen mackerel. There were no kayak fishermen when he left 15 years ago.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Cuz they were all taken out by the insane amount of white sharks....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
mjehlers

Todos Santos. You can catch a bunch of exotics.
mjehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
South Africa! My bro-in-law from Durbin said the yellowtail over there are like the bonita or barricuda here, nuisance fish for most of us. They catch marlin, sailfish, yft, skipjack, dorado, wahoo, and king & queen mackerel. There were no kayak fishermen when he left 15 years ago.

South Africa? I think they had a large community of yak fisherman there.... eaten by the large GWS population
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Bikini Atoll
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
out of reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
Guam wouldn't be bad...
I think Guam might happen, looking into the details now, wanted to go there anyway. Do you have any specific info on the place, or any recomendations?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I have spoken with a couple of yak fisherman from South Africa, the fishing I was told, was phenomenal! However the surf will eat a typical SOT kayak alive!
Never mind that to most of the fish there we look like bait!

This was taken south of Cape Town!

Hey... doesn't that look like Adi....lol

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
i think a lot of people would be stoked to be able to fish la jolla...
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by out of reach View Post
I think Guam might happen, looking into the details now, wanted to go there anyway. Do you have any specific info on the place, or any recomendations?
I was there from 1988 to 1990. Never fished from a yak there but caught dorado and YFT from a 6 pac. There is no problem with launching because the Island is surrounded by a reef. Once past the reef (about 1/4 mile from shore)you are in DEEP water. That is where you will find dodo, tuna, marlin, wahoo, great barracuda etc. The Marianas trench(sp?) is there. I think that the trade winds always blow, so you need to stick close to the reef. I would definately invest in an epirb! A spare radio too just in case and lots of drinking water! I have done some surf fishing at Andersons AFB early in the morning and would catch fish that I could not identify. I caught grouper from the shore too. There are alot of little markets where I bought shrimp to use for bait. By casting a small kastmaster, I caught plenty of jacks.
I think it would be an awesome place to yak fish. I don't recommend just going for it though. Learn the winds, currents etc first. I would also suggest you leave a plan to where you are going to be and when you are to return.
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
twitchy

Yak Fishing in South Africa

I have been kayak fishing for about 6 months at La Jolla. I was born in Zimbabwe and moved to Durban, South Africa. I lived there for twenty years and surfed there for 12 of them, I never saw a kayak fisherman there. I have been living here for 8 years now and the coast line here is so forgiving and pretty predator free. Of the Umgeni river in Durban, about 2 kilometers out, you will find some very healthy, toothy fish. The abandance and variety of fish ther is crazy. The surf is amazing, you would be hard pressed to launch at a lot of beaches. La Jolla is very user friendly.
twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
out of reach

Guam

My dad spent some time living on the base there as a kid and has been wanting to go back, so I think i'll wind up there. I'm not planning some big offshore solo safari so I think i'll be OK. I'm new to posting here but have spent hundreds of days on my yak over the past 6 or 7 years. Got the epirp, sat phone and all that stuff...

What time of year is good weather wise and fish wise?? Where to stay? Who to fish with on a boat?? Any info would be appreciated.

Not sure my balls are big enough for Africa, atleast not without a group.

Joe
Old 08-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I was there in '03 when our carrier group had some steam issues and had to have a boiler replaced.. There is a tourist area on the leeward side (i believe) of the island.. It has all the tourist hotels and dining spots. From what I saw the rest of the island is mostly village with a few neighborhood markets..

From shore, it's about 100 yds of shallow, gentle sloping beach until it drops off into the great unkown. Wahoo fishing is fantastic from what I hear.. There has to be some sort of sportfishing outfit but I was too busy( ) to notice any... Good luck.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
taggermike

You might not need to go all that far. Hundreds of locations on both side of the Baja Peninsula would put you on excellent fishing for a huge variety of fish. Guam or Midway sound hard to beat though. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #16
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Bikini Atoll
Brazilian Bikini Atoll for me.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote