Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
fongman

Where to get a check valve for bait tank?

I am converting my cooler bait tank from bilge pump to aerator (thru-hull design). Since my intake connection on the tank is near the bottom, I need to find a check valve. The ones in the irrigation departments of HD are too strong and will not allow water to draw through it. Where have you guys gone to get one that works with a 500 gph pump?
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

West Marine has them. A little expensive if I remember right ~$18.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

OEX Pt loma and Sunset Beach.............$14.95
Old 08-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
mrJB

Back-flow Preventer

HD/Lowes has two kinds and you probably got the wrong one (for a water line). Go into the sprinkler section and get one there. They are $3 and change and black in color; I've been using one for over a year with 100% success on a 360 gph pump through a scupper...
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Kiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
HD/Lowes has two kinds and you probably got the wrong one (for a water line). Go into the sprinkler section and get one there. They are $3 and change and black in color; I've been using one for over a year with 100% success on a 360 gph pump through a scupper...
Really? I heard those didn't work.
Kiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
mrJB

Backflow Preventer

Yeah, mine works great! I prime the bait tank once (with a siphon hose from the inlet inside the tank - some use a squeeze bulb in the line like the ones for an outboard motor) just prior to heading out and I'm good for the day. I'm even on a timer so it's on and off, but the water still doesn't backflow... There are a few things to note though: the pump should be located below the waterline which, in our case, is below the top water level in the bait tank, and there can be NO air leaks in the intake plumbing section including the backflow preventer (threaded PVC connections are not air tight so use teflon pipe thread tape on all threaded connections, marine sealant, etc.). If there is the slightest air leak, the pump will pull some air instead of water and lose it's prime...
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote