Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Tac.Fish0313

Bait literally ripped off,....Seal's???

Hey everybody, can somebody describe the characteristics of getting your live/ or frozen bait stolen by a LJ seal. I managed to hit the water this past Saturday, overall making bait seemed to be kind of rough, I was able to catch some small 10”-13” bonitos on my sabiki rig about four times. What I kept noticing in both trying to make bait and being rigged up on my Avet to catch yellows was I would get an aggressive tug as if I had a major bite. Then tug would get even more aggressive as if it were diving for the ocean floor and then after about a few minutes (2-3) fighting with whatever’s on the other end, the violent “rod parabolizing” tug would abruptly stop and either my bait would be gone or it would still be still attached to my leader swimming around as if that heavy engagement never happened. I thought maybe I’m getting snagged by a kelp vine but then again, what was pulling my line straight down??? I had just bought some Mustad live bait hooks the Friday before and I don’t think I’m hitting anything that’s spitting out my hooks so, if someone recognizes these occurrences like this, than this will confirm my baits being ripped off the hook by the local dogs in the area. :dontk now:
Tac.Fish0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
FullFlavorPike

Getting back an unharmed bait sounds like you're lassoing some kelp. If the dogs are stealing it, you'll see them. They'll rip it off the hook, then come float around in front of you to gloat.

When a dog takes the bait it'll be a short series of fast tugs trying to break off the bait. It's not like a yellow. Yellows swallow the bait and goooooooooo.

One quick tug and you get back a bait cleanly bitten in half with a terrified look in its dead eyes, that's probably a mako.

A whole bunch of commotion and slapping...Mr. T!

Others may disagree, but this reflects my own experience of short bites from the wrong kind.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

Seals will usually tug then wait for you to put pressure on to pull the hook off the bait. Then they will come to the surface to flip you off. I'm sure Mark(Fish11) will chime in on what his thoughts are on seals.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Tac.Fish0313

Alright then, now that i know what im working against and seal tactics im going to have to be more vigilant in where i decide to fish as well factoring the feeding times dogs like roam around. As everybody knows, after like the 3rd-4th time getting your bait torn off it gets old fast.
Tac.Fish0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Murray

Keep you bait tight to the yak and keep an eye on it. You can hear the seals coming if you listen closely. Reel fast and get the bait out of the water and back in your tank until you relocate or seals get bored and move on.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote