Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

my new yak

After a few weeks of trial and error, I think I found the yak that ill keep for a bit. Its an Ocean Kayak "Manta". Its 16' of offshore beast and I got it for a steal. The manta was made and marketed in 1996 and was discontinued after only 1000 were made. I don't know why, this thing is awesome! Its sturdy, stable, fast and from what I hear, it handles big chop like nothing. It has 2 large A hatches at bow and stern, came with 2 forward faceing flush mounts. I will add 2 rear facing flush mounts, a johnnybar for my scotty and finder. I'm picking up a paranahamax 210 that ill install. I also plan to add a rudder and an anchor system. It has this weird winged nose it looks like a giant squid too!
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
tagyak

nice looking boat; cool nose too. just wondering where would you keep the live well? it seems there really isn't a good spot for one.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
nice looking boat; cool nose too. just wondering where would you keep the live well? it seems there really isn't a good spot for one.
I know, that's the only thing its missing is a tankwell. I'm exploring the possability of an internal livewell. There is enough room behind the seat and a big enough hatch to get inside and tinker. I'm going to take a bunch of measurements of the inside tomorrow and brainstorm a bunch of ideas.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

But for now I'm draggin a pvc bait tube
Old 10-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
pchen911

Tough without the rear tankwell. That's what made the difference between Scupper Pro TW being fishable and Scupper Pro not.

Bait tank isn't even the problem, you can just use a bait tube.

But no place to keep tackle or tools or anything else for that matter... especially without a center hatch.

My suggestion is to NOT tinker with it. Use it as-is for a few sessions and find out if you can overcome the storage issues or be willing to live with the limitations.

My bet is you'll want to sell it and upgrade it to something else very shortly after, so don't bother spending money to upgrade it with gadgets.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks for the advice guys. Time will tell. As is I travel light with one soft box that snaps on to any available eyelet. Plus there is the bungie tiedown spot behind the seat that I just need to add the bungie to. For now I will take your guys advice on getting too tricked out but I do still want the sounder and the added rod holders. I don't know if ill want to sell it or just keep it for the rarety of it. Plus the thing is a speed demon and a pack mule. Id love to take it down the coast camping
Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Jim Sammons LJKF

Love the Manta, it was after my first paddle of it that I wrote my proposal to OK to take that hull and make a better fishing boat, which in time turned out to be the first Prowlers. Enjoy
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
StinkyMatt

Way to go William. You seem very stoked.

The flat area on the bow is actually a casting platform. Try it out and do some casting from it next time you are out. (Please make sure the camera is rolling)

Good luck with all your plans for the "Red Squid"
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

From what I can tell by countless hours reading reviews on different yaks, there is no perfect kayak. For every alteration in design to acheave a specific need, your often sacrificing something in return. For some the loss of a tankwell might be a huge factor keeping them from chosing there ride. For me its not a huge issue. I'm a "fish in the trenches" kind of guy and a minimalist. 2 rod/reels, 1 small softbox, 1 larger plano for my irons and I'm good. The biggest selling point to me is the comfort of know I have a yak big enough to make me feel safe in big water. I got off of my cobra xl, and even though I didn't flip it or come close, it just didn't feel safe in the rough chop. I'm 6'4" and 280. After reading reviews of guys my size and bigger paddling through 6' swells without a worry, I was sold. This is a huge learning process and I'm not claiming to have it figured out in half a session of kayak fishing. I don't doubt that when the chance comes to get an x factor or extreme comes I won't be on it, but I'm in love with this thing right now.

And@ stinkymatt.......yes the big red squid! I'm naming my boat the "humbolt" for sure
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Way to go William. You seem very stoked.

The flat area on the bow is actually a casting platform. Try it out and do some casting from it next time you are out. (Please make sure the camera is rolling)

Good luck with all your plans for the "Red Squid"
Casting platform! Toes to the nose samuri fishing is the style I believe!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
tagyak

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
......yes the big red squid! I'm naming my boat the "humbolt" for sure
LOVE it; great name for your new ride
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
JRD
Junior

Storage - NO problem!

There is tons of room on that ride for more than you need to carry. First get a good fishing seat, that will transfer with you to any kayak you use. Your pliers, knife, and ready tackle can be right there in the seat with you. There is alot of potential for small crates behind the seat or on the back hatch. Its not like you have to bring your offshore tackle bag every trip anyway. The big hatches are great for rod and reel stowage for big launches and landings and dry bags keep everything neat and handy.

Good luck with it and just put miles and miles on her.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote