Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: To Post a timely report or not?
No, because it shutsdown the bite 20 37.74%
Yes, because it gives hundres of others to try and catch a fish 33 62.26%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #41
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I had not planned to post in this thread but the evolution theory that pchen911 posted intrigued me. I think that he is right.

I used to post a lot more than I do these days. One of the reasons was that when I was new to this, I was all excited about all the new things that I saw and learned. To me it was all worth sharing. As I became more experienced, I realized that a lot of people, particularly the ones who have been around awhile could care less about the observations and expeiriences of an excited newbie.

It is kind of like a combination of the "Circle of Life" and Been There... "Done That". Fortunately, newcomers are constantly joining this sport and for those people, these posts, redundant as they may be from a historical perspective, contain a bunch of new and useful information.

I also agree with what Jim Day said. Many who have been on this site for a while have stopped posting because they just don't want to deal with the occasional bully who gets his kicks by flaming others. Reading that crap gets old very quickly. Some of the hateful emails and PMs that folks have shared with me over the years have been just plain mean.

Maybe the discussion in this thread will help nudge some of us who have been lounging in Category 5 back to Category 3 where our cheerful voices will help drown out the bitches and moans flowing from the haters in our group.

Bob
Old 10-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #42
maui jim

WHAT WAS THE QUESTION????? AND WHO MADE THE POPCORN?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #43
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
WHAT WAS THE QUESTION????? AND WHO MADE THE POPCORN?
The question is:

Should we post a up to date current fishing report that may potentially expose a hot bite to Everyone? This will give hundreds of people a chance to catch a fish.

This is the question for the poll.

The popcorn is a figure of speech for those that are sitting on their computers watching where this thread may head.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 10-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #44
mtnbykr2

IMO I would post current, to me the more the merrier, you guys know that by now, but interesting question and fun reading, I kinda have to agree with "D" on this one.
By the way Frank, you and Matt make a cute couple...still miss the hats though...
Matt... I am still waiting
Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #45
Regor
Greg

Whats a Hot Bite?

I posted a YT report on Saturday night, the same day I caught it (after 11 hours on the water)
"Red tide or not, fish gotta eat, and so do I!"
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11541

Did this cause anyone to run out Sunday and fish, thinking it might be WFO?

Would I run out and fish right away just because a number of fish reports were posted? Nope. Did I this year. Nope. What was happening 2 months ago - fish at midnight, with squid, and your pretty much guaranteed a WSB,,,,, just so happens I don't care to fall asleep on the water, or risk getting hit by a PB

Sometimes I post right away, sometimes I wait a week or two, nothing meant by it to me. Just depends on how I feel, and if there have been a lack of "Fish" reports lately.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #46
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Fortunately, newcomers are constantly joining this sport and for those people, these posts, redundant as they may be from a historical perspective, contain a bunch of new and useful information.
OK fine Bob....the weather is crappy and I dont feel like working so I'll toss my $.02 in the pot (plus Frank asked)....

I love reading your (BWE members) fishing reports/stories but one thing you guys gotta understand, keeping "up to date bite info" off of a public forum has alot more to do with respecting our fisheries than keeping fellow kayakers from catching a trophy fish.

I'm sure most new guys don't realize that there are no daily bag limits for commercial H&L fisherman and that during these "bites", which are usually during spawning aggrigations, its possible for one or two guys in a boat to lay waste to 10, 20 or even 40 trophy fish in a few hrs!! What about 1 private boat with 4 guys on it(x50)? What about a sport boat with 40 people on it eager to "slay it" in some limit style fishing?...Is that what you really want to do? How about those seiners, anyone like fishing with them around?....for those of you that don't realize it yet, one post on this site, much like BD, has the possibility of pulling 100's of people out of the woodworks and right onto the perceived "bite", in less than 24hrs.

Here are three quick guidelines I try to follow when considering posting a timely report:

Did I catch it on squid?

Did someone else personally give me the info (what,when and where) that led to my catch?

Did I catch, see or hear of multiple fish caught in the same area around the same time, multiple days in a row?

If I answer yes to any of those questions, which is generally the case, I will wait to post the fish, and I do my best to provide some useful tips/details in that post or not post at all.....again this is out of respect for the fishery and the guys who put in all the leg/arm work to get me the info to catch the fish....not to hate on my brothers. If you see me on the water, you can be sure you'll get the freshest dope available along with bait and beer offerings .
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #47
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I had not planned to post in this thread but the evolution theory that pchen911 posted intrigued me. I think that he is right.

I used to post a lot more than I do these days. One of the reasons was that when I was new to this, I was all excited about all the new things that I saw and learned. To me it was all worth sharing. As I became more experienced, I realized that a lot of people, particularly the ones who have been around awhile could care less about the observations and expeiriences of an excited newbie.

It is kind of like a combination of the "Circle of Life" and Been There... "Done That". Fortunately, newcomers are constantly joining this sport and for those people, these posts, redundant as they may be from a historical perspective, contain a bunch of new and useful information.

I also agree with what Jim Day said. Many who have been on this site for a while have stopped posting because they just don't want to deal with the occasional bully who gets his kicks by flaming others. Reading that crap gets old very quickly. Some of the hateful emails and PMs that folks have shared with me over the years have been just plain mean.

Maybe the discussion in this thread will help nudge some of us who have been lounging in Category 5 back to Category 3 where our cheerful voices will help drown out the bitches and moans flowing from the haters in our group.

Bob

X-2!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #48
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfishturds View Post
I have never spoke, fished or met Jim Day either.Just read all his threads and comments on Allcoast..... and Bigwatersedge. Just saying.....

Just saying a bunch I'd say.

You know people have patterns and if you're smart you can get used to seeing them and ascertain what they are about. For instance I've always been interested in the fact that whenever you attack me you always bring up Allcoast.

In a little over a decade I put 10773 Posts up at Allcoast. You have six, and two of the six give me shit. My personal favorite is the first. Where you signed up in 2006 just to flame my first Big Halibut Kayak fishing Report. http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/V...D=48187&page=2 it was the only negative post in the thread.

Here at BWE I have 723 Posts. You have 4, and three of those four give me shit.

So considering the amount of time in the last decade that you must of spent on those boards to read:"all my threads and comments on Allcoast..... and Bigwatersedge.", and then considering the fact that you only have 10 posts on both those boards combined half of which are attacks directed at me, with no reports whatsoever.... Well... I got to say when it comes to the original topic: "do a fishing report or not to do a fishing report" It's fair to say that when it comes to timely posting of reports you are definitely in the NO!!! Fishing reports category.

In fact I'd say you actually epitomize anti sharing, anti report sentiment on the internet. The irony being that you actually seem to believe that people like you are far more valuable to these sites then people who contribute and help others.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-07-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #49
paintnfish

yawn
Old 10-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #50
wiredantz

Stay on topic... No personal attacks please

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #51
monkeyfishturds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Just saying a bunch I'd say.

You know people have patterns and if you're smart you can get used to seeing them and ascertain what they are about. For instance I've always been interested in the fact that whenever you attack me you always bring up Allcoast.

In a little over a decade I put 10773 Posts up at Allcoast. You have six, and two of the six give me shit. My personal favorite is the first. Where you signed up in 2006 just to flame my first Big Halibut Kayak fishing Report. http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/V...D=48187&page=2 it was the only negative post in the thread.

Here at BWE I have 723 Posts. You have 4, and three of those four give me shit.

So considering the amount of time in the last decade that you must of spent on those boards to read:"all my threads and comments on Allcoast..... and Bigwatersedge.", and then considering the fact that you only have 10 posts on both those boards combined half of which are attacks directed at me, with no reports whatsoever.... Well... I got to say when it comes to the original topic: "do a fishing report or not to do a fishing report" It's fair to say that when it comes to timely posting of reports you are definitely in the NO!!! Fishing reports category.

In fact I'd say you actually epitomize anti sharing, anti report sentiment on the internet. The irony being that you actually seem to believe that people like you are far more valuable to these sites then people who contribute and help others.
Mr. Day, that is not me on allcoast. Above you refered to people as jerkoffs and assholes. So i linked to the story you were talking about. I'm not attacking you. Just showing how people feel about exposing a bite, which is the topic of this thread. My opinion to this topic is that it is harmful to the fishery. Sportboats do this and gang together to slaughter huge schools of baracuda and other fish. I hope kayakfishermen don't follow in their footsteps.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #52
TCS

I'm with the Darkhorse on this one, this question is about as likely to reach a solution as the Israelis and Palestinians are to hold hands and live in peace forever. But it is entertaining.

I agree with Scally's comment too. Don't expose a squid bite on the internet, although it won't keep angry skiff guy away. He's always on it.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #53
bubblehide

It's been a while since I've been to that site, not much going on there in a long while. But wow the thread in that first link sure looks like no one had a problem, I can't see how it's related to the topic; either that or half of it got left on the editing floor. But then again, that was posted in May, and there's never been a hot bite in the Boo in May.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #54
bubblehide

But then again, I'd rather be fishing, hunting,.... than taking silly surveys; so back to the real stuff:

I'm still nailing um at that same local spot, here's a sea bass from my last outing there, just last month.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m...1010495.jpg?t=
Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #55
StinkyMatt

How do you keep a secret when two people know it?

You kill one of them!

The chance of several hundred people trying to keep a bite quiet? Get real folks it ain't gonna happen.

It only takes one person to spill the beans, you know there will always be that one person.

So, living in S. California get used to fishing with a little company.

Focus on your trips/ experiences and move over if it is a little too crowded.

Tight lines folks.

Hot bite on Lobster, WSB and 30 lb YT going on right now in LJ!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #56
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

You kill one of them!

The chance of several hundred people trying to keep a bite quiet? Get real folks it ain't gonna happen.

It only takes one person to spill the beans, you know there will always be that one person.

So, living in S. California get used to fishing with a little company.

Focus on your trips/ experiences and move over if it is a little too crowded.

Tight lines folks.

Hot bite on Lobster, WSB and 30 lb YT going on right now in LJ!

x2
Old 10-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #57
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Mr. Day, that is not me on allcoast.....
LMAO!!! Yeah... Sure... and it's not you here either I suppose

That's the beauty of you using these stupid aliases, it's never you, it's always some other concerned poster, that never seems to post except when you have an agenda or an axe to grind, and need to get a few anonymous jabs in

Quote:
i linked to the story you were talking about.
I saw that. Of course there were other threads involved, and like Gary said it looks like someone sanitized (edited) the threads. That said... if you can read past the attacks in the second one there is still some good stuff there.

For instance I posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day
Kayaking gives us and advantage with prespawn fish that no-one else can capitalize on, so it's not going to hurt the fishery to talk about targeting prespawn Seabass. I guess you could say that I have learned the difference between a prespawn bite, and the wide open bite that comes with the spawn, and figured out that we can catch them in prespawn mode when no-one else can. Prespawn the fish are in the kelp are sluggish, not very active, they do not move around much and do not want to fight current or chase down bait. We all know what a spawning bite is, when it's wide open and anyone can catch them but with prespawn fish you have to be there at the right place, at the right time, and present a bait right in front of a fishes nose to get bit. It's literally that the fish are lazy, because they are conserving energy for the spawn.... Party boats and private boaters can not fish those prespawn fish because they do not have the maneuverability or the time to wait them out, get right in front of them and then present a bait with enough finesse to get bit like we can do in a kayak. Is it a wide open thing where you get fish all the time, hell no!!! You have to fish the crap out of them to catch fish in a prespawn pattern. There's a lot of variables that have to line up: the current has to be right and you have to be in the right place at the right time, with the right bait, so it's more of a patience stalking and waiting game, but if you put in the time you can get some real trophies fishing prespawn fish from a kayak even if they are almost impossible to catch any other way....
Anyone can clearly read that in the middle of that web lynching I was still trying to help people catch fish, but additionally it's clear that my own words, from your link prove the original point that I made here in this thread.

I did not post about a wide open squid bite. I did not expose a C-bass bite where Sportboats could gang together to slaughter huge schools of fish. The people that said I did were just full of it, using it as an excuse to attack, and it's obvious they had another agenda.

I was simply trying to help people get on fish that only kayakers could catch, from a scratch bite that clearly was never wide open. It was early May the water was still cold in the fifties up there. The fish were the kelp hardly moving at all. A few people got them through persistence but there was never wide open bite at BKR.

The truth is even though I've fished there for decades, I have never, ever posted a wide open BKR bite online in over a decade of posting on all of the various sites I've contributed to.

Last time I mentioned a wide open seabass bite online was the epic Rocky Point bite back in the late nineties. I certainly was not the only one, the web thing was new and we didn't know better, but I learned my lesson back then. 250 boats a day on that bite by midweek, probably over a thousand fish killed, and a bite that never materialized in those same numbers again. That's the kind of thing that leaves a lasting impression.

You see unlike some I have been around long enough to know that there are things you can post and things you can't. You wont see me posting a wide open inshore C-bass bite online that could lead to the kinds of overfishing you describe. You won't see me posting lobster reports when I'm hooping local that could lead to huge even dangerous crowds at my local breakwalls. You say you have read all my posts on multiple sites. Alright you want to post links well try and find a single report I have posted that lead to the massive overfishing you describe. Out of thousands of posts and hundreds of reports to choose from you cant' do it. I don't post those things because I know better based on experience.

This is not really a black or white, post reports or never post reports issue. It's really about educating people what they can and can not share online.

There are timely reports you can post: like solo fish that do not come off hot bites, or fish taken right before a cold front or blow out where the conditions are going to change.

You share what you can report wise and then fill in the gaps with technical info. I try to help people out and share what I can, but even then I run into trouble with the share no info, don't tell anyone where we fish, post only misinformation crowd.

My take is that's purely do to different agendas. Some just want to control the dialogue, promote their little cliques, then toot their own success at the expense of others. Others actually want to educate people and help them become better fisherman. I'm the latter, and my take is if your not here to help people catch fish then why bother with the boards at all.

Like I said: some people just give shit to who they want to. Some can post fish right in the middle of bite and don't get shit at all. Others post reports that could no way effect the bite and people go after them using it as an excuse even though their real agendas have nothing to do with the particular posting, or the actual fishing conditions.

Bottom line:The bite you and your buddies claimed I destroyed never existed. The whole blow up over posting the bite thing was just an excuse for you guys to push an agenda that had nothing to do with the original post, the actual fishing conditions at BKR or the phony wide open bite in May that was never even there.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-07-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #58
Billy V

I wasn't going to make a post on this tread, but I feel too strongly about the subject to not speak up.

No - I would not post a timely report on BWE, or any other internet forum.

I have been told many times by powerboat fisherman from Bloody Decks and including The Blackman Forum members how they regularly search our site for Fish Info/Recent Reports about a bite.
Especially the West Coast Whoppers Forum

I have been told..
"we are as tight lipped as the mafia" .. true statement there, but it still doesn't dissuade them from searching our forum.

I don't mean this in a sarcastic way:
"You can catch quality fish everyday of the week in LJ - look down, they are swimming right underneath you !"
---------------------------------------
I don't consider myself an elitist, or superfisherman - and I do not want to deprive any member here of quality information.

Rather, I respect the hard work, and long hours spent covering miles of water reading ever changing conditions and searching to locate fish.
Those members have no obligation to hand over their hard earned information to anybody.
-----------------------------------
Getting away from the computer will be your best chance at catching a quality fish.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #59
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

You kill one of them!

Matt, I gotta disagree with you here buddy.....I have, on numerous occasions, seen these bites (even squid bites) last for weeks on end without one word on the public forums...and it wasn't because I was the only one out there....there where HUNDREDS of boats and yaks out, and every single one was catching multiple trophy fish.

True it only take one person to blow it, and they always do.... eventually (seems like its always a yaker too )...but thats why we never told you!!!

Remember, the dope only flows one way....from the guys who make it to the guys who want, need and sometimes demand it (dopefiends)....don't throw your dope man under the bus. The only friends you'll make are more fiends.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #60
wiredantz

Matt can't help it. When matt catches something, the inner child comes out of him and he wants to scream like a little girl, and If someone ask matt on the water where he got that big lunker his body shines like a star in the pitch of darkness and his mouth opens up like a amplifier speaker and uncontrolled words of his most deepest desires come out. This is when I have to tell matt Shut UP!! Matt has a problem with selective hearing. Lol

On the other hand, he does know that when someone give him bite info to keep it on the DL.

But matt and I share two different viewpoints, but it doesn't stop us from fishing together. Sometime I start watching a tv commericial and an image of Matt with is Rave collar comes up and i start laughing.

Although the guys make fun of me all the time, it just good times spent on the water. What i consider pure fun.

Almost 2000 views and only 46 have voted, i really wonder out of the 2000 views how many people actually are only here for bite information.

Last edited by wiredantz; 10-08-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Closed Thread