Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Steveo

Anchor

I'll be yak fishing for my first time ever in my new Hobie Rev tomorrow out of DP. Heading out with a couple of experienced yakkers, Tim of DP Jet Ski & Kayak and Jack V., a fellow yakker I met at the recent surf clinic, so I'm in good hands. My question is this; how important is an anchor from a safety standpoint? If I were going alone (which I would not do at this point, but hypothectically...) is an anchor a must have?
Thanks,
Steve
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I'll be yak fishing for my first time ever in my new Hobie Rev tomorrow out of DP. Heading out with a couple of experienced yakkers, Tim of DP Jet Ski & Kayak and Jack V., a fellow yakker I met at the recent surf clinic, so I'm in good hands. My question is this; how important is an anchor from a safety standpoint? If I were going alone (which I would not do at this point, but hypothectically...) is an anchor a must have?
Thanks,
Steve
Anchor- meh, you probably don't need one.
Its just extra stuff & weight to carry...less is more.
Good luck

$.02
cabojohn
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
dorado50

Recipe for disaster. Lakes are fine. Why would you want an anchor in the ocean ? When the swell takes the kayak up, the anchor takes it downnnnnnnnnnn.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
madscientist

Anchors are fine, but largely unnecessary out here. Back east I used to anchor all the time chumming for stripers. A foot or 2 of chain helps hold the anchor and also evens out the swells. For an even softer ride, tie a couple dropper loops in the anchor line about 4ft apart and connect them with 1ft of bungee: acts like a shock absorber. Whatever you do, try not to drag it. Pulling free a snagged anchor is not easy on the yak.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Sherm

I have an anchor I got in a tournament a while back. You can have it if you want it. I've had it for two years and it is still in the package.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
I have an anchor I got in a tournament a while back. You can have it if you want it. I've had it for two years and it is still in the package.
Thanks for the offer, but from the sound of things, it's looking like I don't need one. That's fine, too...it would just be more stuff to lug around in the hull.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
dorado50

Glad you decided against the anchor. No matter what gissmo or gadgets you add to the line a swell or boat wake crashing upon you will jar that yak and turn that boat over.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
I still have an anchor I pulled up from the rock off LJC.

No one's claimed it yet.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Glad you decided against the anchor. No matter what gissmo or gadgets you add to the line a swell or boat wake crashing upon you will jar that yak and turn that boat over.
That is not true, if you anchor from the stern or bow and have the proper amount of line out. A quick release mechanism can also assuage any fears of catastrophe. I had a bungee release/floater mechanism that would immediately release me from the anchor and leave the line floating for later retrieval. Anchors are mostly not needed here, but they are not unsafe if used properly and with a little thought.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
I have one and used it a couple times in the bay...or at humphrey's but never even take it to LJ.

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
jscott

Out here I recommend a bungee cord to tie off to kelp with. If wind picks up and you want to remain stationary-- that is your best bet. The bungee acts as a shock absorber on the swells so you don't get sudden movements from the yak. Also-- you can get a drift chute to slow down drifts on windier days as well. Leave the anchor at home unless you are lake fishing.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
dorado50

kayaks are unstable, very submersible, and have no beam ,therefore, a swell or white cap pushes the kayak one way while your at anchor, and the kayak is positioned in an opposing direction, perhaps by shifting winds, the two opposing forces can cause capsize no matter how much scope you have out.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
madscientist

I guess I'll have to add the "anchor of death" to the "waders of death" on the list of things I'm doing wrong.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
fishingsolo
Yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I guess I'll have to add the "anchor of death" to the "waders of death" on the list of things I'm doing wrong.
you should go out in your waders, anchor up in LJ and fire up the grill. lol lol I would have no problem taking the advice from Brad. IMO he seems to have a prettty good idea of what he is doing on a yak.
fishingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
lamb

I think all points made are very valid ones.

On my boat, I always make sure I have an anchor with 200 yards of rope on board. I think of that anchor as a very important safety item. If the engine dies, I want to make sure I can anchor up ‘till VA arrives. I primarily fish inshore with my skiff.

For some reason, I don’t have an anchor on my kayak. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have one. I do see Dave’s point; I remember I almost rolled a couple of times when I anchored by tieing to the kelp, in a bit of a chop though. Kayaks are certainly not as stable as boats, and that’s something that needs to be kept in mind. Bungees and all other things Brad mentioned ought to help with this.

I remember reading that the anchor rope ought to be at least 3 times the depth – the idea is more horizontal the angle, the better.

Here’s some handy general info on anchoring. It is specific to boats so I’m sure all these figures are considerably different for kayaks as they are so light… That's how I understood Dave's points, and I agree with him:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/anchorin.htm