Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #1
Pescador Paul
Junior

Dana Point Info Request

I plan to take my yak up to Dana Point tomorrow. I have launched boats there before but never a kayak.

Will the bait barge there sell a kayak scoop? If so, what would be the price? How long of a paddle is it from the harbor to the point? Specific spots to try?

Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Pescador Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
jbl_91762

Dumb Bait Barge will not sell you a Kayak scoop so expect to pay $20. I hear Halibut can be had along beach and to point Im guessing 1.5 miles. Good luck and I would have joined you if I didn't throw my back out.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I should be out there late morning/early afternoon tomorrow. It's a bit over a mile to the point from the harbor. Try all around the headlands, lots of reef around. The area just south of the red buoy can be good as well. A bit further north and you'll get into the Salt Creek kelp which can be great at times, depending on the kelp condition and the abundance of bait. The last time I was up there the kelp was looking unhealthy and the area was almost lifeless.

The surf is up a bit at the moment and the commute along the jetty can get a bit choppy with the bounce-back so keep alert.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
Pescador Paul
Junior

Thanks to all for some very helpful information. I have a yellow Cobra Fish-n-Dive. If you see me, please do not hesitate to say hello.

Paul
Old 08-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

$20 is the current price for a kayak scoop, 1/2 scoop for pbers is $35.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Pescador Paul
Junior

I launched this morning at around 6:00. The line at the bait barge was long, so I opted to go without.

I paddled out to the headlands and worked this area from the rocks to the red buoy for no action at all. On the way back in I caught and released my only fish of the day, a 12 inch sand bass. It hit a white bucktail jig with a single plastic gray curly tail.

Paul
Old 08-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #7
jbl_91762

Bummer about the slow day but heck you were out there. I tried to load up last night but looked up and saw almost full moon. That and my sore back was enough to skip it till my back is 100% Thanks for report. Did you not try to make bait or see other boats trying? Its been so slow in OC for some time now.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Pescador Paul
Junior

I did not try to make bait but saw several larger boats attempting to do so. I did not see anyone succeed.

Paul
Old 08-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I didn't make it out today either. Did you get a water temp? I think it just got too warm too fast. We may need a good upwelling to bring life back to the area.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
Raskal311

Dam $20? Np was $10... plus tip of course
Old 08-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #11
PapaDave

DP info (for next time):

Kayak scoop is $20, the guys will fill your tank though.

The area around the red buoy and boiler rocks is fished a LOT. Try going further north, like towards the end of Salt creek, which is in front of the hotels.

There is a pipeline that heads out from the river outlet to about 1 mile offshore. Cruise around in that line for a bit and you will pass over a 10-15 foot hump on your FF. Sometimes good for bass and halibut, and the occasional Thresher or WSB.

South of the harbor there is a wide area of reefs, rocks and kelp, all the way down and past the Clemente Pier. At anytime you can get some bass, leopard shark or halibut drifting through that area. Troll a small rapala, or drift a 'red calico hunter' or 'spotty killer' and you should be good. There is also a possibility for the occasional Thresher, WSB and BSB and Yellowtail.

You should also be able to make bait out there. Do watch for GWS though, there have been quite a few smaller models cruising the area, and then there is Bob, the resident GWS, at about 7 feet now.

Do some exploring, and on calm days head in towards the beach, you'd be surprised at what you can catch there.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
Scoot
Scoot

Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
DP info (for next time):

Kayak scoop is $20, the guys will fill your tank though.

The area around the red buoy and boiler rocks is fished a LOT. Try going further north, like towards the end of Salt creek, which is in front of the hotels.

There is a pipeline that heads out from the river outlet to about 1 mile offshore. Cruise around in that line for a bit and you will pass over a 10-15 foot hump on your FF. Sometimes good for bass and halibut, and the occasional Thresher or WSB.

South of the harbor there is a wide area of reefs, rocks and kelp, all the way down and past the Clemente Pier. At anytime you can get some bass, leopard shark or halibut drifting through that area. Troll a small rapala, or drift a 'red calico hunter' or 'spotty killer' and you should be good. There is also a possibility for the occasional Thresher, WSB and BSB and Yellowtail.

You should also be able to make bait out there. Do watch for GWS though, there have been quite a few smaller models cruising the area, and then there is Bob, the resident GWS, at about 7 feet now.

Do some exploring, and on calm days head in towards the beach, you'd be surprised at what you can catch there.
Stuff there Dana in a nut shell!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote