Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
October
Fish Whisperer

I go on the NSF and Premier out of H&M pretty much once a week or every other week. With as hot as the tuna and the yellow tail are right now, I have found that, for me, its just not worth the hassle. The fishing is great. The crowds are not.

I lost my biggest yellow tail couple weeks ago because no one moves, no one watches their lines and there are just way too many people crammed on the boats right now. Really frustrating. Both boats crews are great but there's just too many dingbats that dont know what they are doing. Then there are the guys that really know what they are doing and try to muscle other people around to get where they want to go.

If you do decide to go and brave the crowds, I would suggest HEAVY gear. Bring your stiffest rod so you can steer the fish, 65lb to 40lb flouro so you dont have to worry about letting them run too much, and walk with your fish no matter what. I happened to hook that big yellow on my lightest gear (8ft Proteus MH, Saltist HC30 and 65lb braid to 30lb flouro) and I felt like I didnt have complete control over it. My rod tip was literally touching the water with me standing straight up lol.

another tip, if you are fly lining, fling that bait WAAAAAAAY out. As far as you can. 80% of the people throw out 5 feet in front of them or drop straight down so theirs lines and bait going every direction close to the boat. All my hookups were way out past everyone. Or you could always be nuts and post up at the back of the boat behind the bait tank.