Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
MAKOBOB UPDATE

Post amputation, DAY 60
by Makobob
The last 60 days have been the slowest I can remember since I got out of school. Yep
even Vietnam moved faster. Post amputation, time slows down. I got depressed as
things were moving SO slowly. Slow down you move to fast is fine if you are healthy.
Being wounded that philosophy does not hold water.

I found that post amputation my POV needed to change. Our health care system naturally
moves slowly. Medicare and the VA do not talk to each other. Casually the system crawls,
do this first. Make appointment and have this test done. Results come back, now make
appointment to get this test. Some times it takes 2-3 weeks to get that test.

Results come back, it has been 6 weeks down the drain. So the wound care Doctor saw
me TUESDAY. He took the bull by the horns. HE was tired of the slow process and lack
of results. Had his head nurse contact the emergency room at TRI CITY. He wrote the
orders for them, instructions were spelled out. Now remember he is also a Doctor on the
Tri City staff.

Doctor told me to LEAVE his office and go straight to their emergency room. And once
there to tall them he had sent me and that my wound was not healing as it should.
This was post amputation day 59. So off to sea the wizard at the emergency room.
The attendant at the door came out to me and asked why I was parked there, I opened
the door and showed him my stump. I asked for a wheel chair and for someone to park
my truck.

I was processed in within 30 minutes telling them that the wound had a smell and looked
like it might be infected. Boom I was in seaing a Doctor who opened my file and saw the
Wound Doctors notes, and recommended tests and procedures. Over the next 9 hours all
the tests were done and the results compiled and ready for the Emergency room Doctor.
Together in a conference call, ER doc, my Wound Doc and the Surgeon plotted a course
of action. In actuality in ONE single day a process that was taking weeks and months was
solved.

The GOOD, NO sign of Bone Infection, Blood Cell results, very slightly elevated. NO outward
signs of infection. The BAD, nothing noted. Because of those tests they were able to
debride the wound on day 60. The UGLY, when the Doctor opened up the wound to clean
out the DEAD tissue. The WHOLE room stank. He removed the bad tissue, he did not put
me on anti biotic because he saw no infection.

The CT scan did show a pocket of? Fluid and gas, and they put a HORSE needle in to it
in 3 places trying to aspirate the pocket. All they got was a small amount of blood. They
sent that to be cultured and results should be back early next week. All in all a great
week, a little sore tonight but no pain meds needed.

Post amputation, DAY 83, the 20th of May is MY FREEDOM day. I return to Baja that day
for a week. Life is good, God is great and loving. Yes, I too got depressed for a while but
just thinking and DREAMING about Baja kept me on track most of the time. Now as I get
closer to my return date time is SPEEDING up again. My best wishes to all of you. Thank
you for your prayers. I hope to sea each and every one of you in PARADISE soon. Tight
Lines and HAPPY BAJA DAYS.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Tigermidge

Wow I am glad something happened!

M
Tigermidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Bob, I respect and admire you more than you know. It pangs my heart to read these things you write.

I wish the very best for you with all this crap you have to work your way through.

Life is sweet. We need to cherish every moment we can, for as long as we can. I know your fishing buddies and your fishing retreat in Baja gives you immense contentment and satisfaction. For that I am deeply thankful.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Bob, I respect and admire you more than you know. It pangs my heart to read these things you write.

I wish the very best for you with all this crap you have to work your way through.

Life is sweet. We need to cherish every moment we can, for as long as we can. I know your fishing buddies and your fishing retreat in Baja gives you immense contentment and satisfaction. For that I am deeply thankful.
About 60 years ago, and maybe 20 miles from here, while sitting on the beach in Carlsbad my grand pa told me this. He said "Cholly, NEVER sweat the small stuff because it is ALL small stuff". Life is only as hard or as easy as we make it. Life is MY adventure, I embrace it everyday, and live each day to its fullest. I will continue to do so for as long as I can. Yep the foot is gone, good ridence to it. Slow me down it will. Stop me NEVER. The good Lord is not through with me yet. I still have miles to travel, Baja beaches to walk, fish to catch and others to help in finding their way to THEIR paradise. I hope everyone can find that path and I will be looking for you along the way. May your journey be as rewarding to you as mine has been for me. Thank you all and Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 04-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
About 60 years ago, and maybe 20 miles from here, while sitting on the beach in Carlsbad my grand pa told me this. He said "Cholly, NEVER sweat the small stuff because it is ALL small stuff". Life is only as hard or as easy as we make it. Life is MY adventure, I embrace it everyday, and live each day to its fullest. I will continue to do so for as long as I can. Yep the foot is gone, good ridence to it. Slow me down it will. Stop me NEVER. The good Lord is not through with me yet. I still have miles to travel, Baja beaches to walk, fish to catch and others to help in finding their way to THEIR paradise. I hope everyone can find that path and I will be looking for you along the way. May your journey be as rewarding to you as mine has been for me. Thank you all and Tight Lines.
Woo-hoo!
Old 04-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
Orca Winfrey

Bob. When I grow up, I want to be like you.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:01 AM   #7
Gr8fuldude

Roberto, mad respect and many prayers going out to you, hermano. I love how you write about the Baja dreams keeping you on track. When we have our why figured out, we can deal with any what.

It looks like I can make it down for the trip in May, very much looking forward to seeing you there
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post

I was thinking the same thing.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
Denis_Ruso

No news is good news Bob. Good to hear you'll be back in Baja soon,

See you down there end of May!

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Thank you, but please not with the health problems.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 04-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post
Roberto, mad respect and many prayers going out to you, hermano. I love how you write about the Baja dreams keeping you on track. When we have our why figured out, we can deal with any what.

It looks like I can make it down for the trip in May, very much looking forward to seeing you there
It will be nice to sea you again Paul, tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 04-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpricenator View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
The giving back to your community and the positive attitude YES, the health problems I hope not. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Hopefully all goes well and you get back to Baja as soon as possible and on time!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Hopefully all goes well and you get back to Baja as soon as possible and on time!
Thanks Tony, I am really looking forward to getting back to my Baja. Have a great one amigo, and Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN