Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #81
Aznronin

My deepest condolences. This whole situation is very sad. I will pray for his family.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #82
Chuck D

I am so sorry for your loss and hoe that you can find peace in the face that he was doing what he loved when it all happened, my thoughts are with Dave's family.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #83
yaksailor

This is very tragic to hear about Dave and something no parent should have to experience. Those that fish from a kayak have a special bond with each other and the sea. My thoughts and prayers are with Dave's family and our kayaking community.
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #84
FoodGeekFish

In life, one may know a man by his words and deeds, his handshake and his smile. In passing, these measures disappear, and are not for consideration of those who did not know him in his days.

As such, we may only know him in the love and grief of friends and family, the good works he leaves behind, and the nature and spirit of those who mourn his passing. By these measures, never having had the privilege of meeting him, it is clear that Dave was an exceptional individual.

We grieve, not only for the loss and suffering of those that knew him, but also for the community, any time one of its members falls away. We are weakened by his absence and strengthened in our unity of grief, a final gift from a kind soul.

John, may your family's suffering be no more than is necessary to honor Dave, and may his memories and gifts remain as blessings in your lives.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #85
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I hope our community's heartfelt outpouring of condolences bring you some comfort. Sending prayers of peace to you and your family.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #86
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
John so sad and sorry you lost your son...

Thanks for giving us a report.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 09-21-2018 at 02:04 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #87
Semper Fi-shing

Well said, FoodGeekFish.

I have been witness to many simple acts of kindness and consideration that has made a huge impact on me since I have fished La Jolla and elsewhere such as:

-That time when i was done offloading my kayak and proceeded to get my truck hopelessly stuck in the sand on the way to parking it. A few kayakkers who were all ready to launch saw me spinning my wheels and came by to help me push my vehicle out of the sand while another provided tow straps to successfully tow me out. I realized that the sun was already coming out and they came over and started helping out before I got a chance to ask. Half an hour later, I was on the water fishing.

-Or that day when I broke off my one and only sabiki off kelp and didnt have any other means to catch bait. One yakker offered up some bait while another offered his one and only spare sabiki and refused to take money for it. I, of course, proceeded to lose the sabiki on the next patch of kelp. I found out later that week that that same person caught a yellowtail on that very day. (Good karma for a good deed )

-Or last Saturday when my helper on the water (and my now new friend) told me about how, the week prior, he had met Dave on the water after my friend also broke off his last sabiki. He told me how Dave also offered him a sabiki. On top off that, every time Dave caught bait, he offered my friend half of his catch.

Sometimes, it's the simplest acts that make the biggest impact.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #88
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Deepest sympathies to Dave's family and friends, I cannot imagine the pain you are experiencing... to the kayak fisherman who responded to this tragedy, much respect.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #89
Hydronaut

Send a message via Yahoo to Hydronaut
Eternal Tight Lines

Heard about the accident while at the Heroes On the Water event last Saturday. I prayed that there was a positive outcome. Deepest sympathy to Dave's family. Eternal Tight Lines Dave.

Hydronaught
Hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #90
lamb

Very sad.
Condolences to family
Old 09-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #91
Aquaholix
Addicted2Water

From all of us here at AQUAHOLIX, we are deeply saddened that this tragic incident ever occured. We all have been & will continue to pray for you, your family & of course your tremendously beloved son to find peace during these most painful times...

Tragedy doesn't have an alarm clock. There's no way to ever really prepare for these type of things. All we can do is be prudent in our daily life practices of expressing our love to whomever that may be. Tomorrow is never promised.

I personally pray to God to bless all of you with peace, love, protection & guidance...

Lastly, to Dave, you do not know me personally, nor did I know you brother. One thing I do know, is the same love for the Sea & fishing was definitely a shared addiction between us, as well as many others both near & far. And through that similar, shared passion we are all connected. You've touched many with your passionate acts & gestures of love & kindness. And even though I could be considered as a stranger to you & your family, you (Dave) & your family will forever be in my heart, my mind & my prayers... See ya on the other side brother, leave some fish for the rest of us! 🙏

Again, as many have previously stated, we are here for Dave's family in any way/capacity we are able to be. Please let us know how we may be able to help. If any kind if memorial paddle out or anything similar is being planned I would love to be a part of that...

& to those who were the first responders out there in LJ that day, good on you fellas for lookin out for eachother out there, it could have been any of us. Much love to yall & I pray as well that you all find some peace through all this... May God bless all of you.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #92
echo42
Junior

I am pretty much the new (but old looking) guy out at La Jolla and unfortunately I never met Dave. I plan on fishing tomorrow, hopefully I will get a chance to meet Davesdad and family. I would like to say that I will go out and catch something grand in Dave's honor, but the fact of the matter is, I'm just not that good...yet. So, I'll make it a nice day on the water and take the chance to reflect on Dave's well lived life.
echo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #93
joe tuipala
Junior

just saying hello

my family will bring flowers to the beach Saturday .
joe tuipala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #94
summers in kuwait

John,

I am so sorry for your loss. I wasn't too close to Dave, but knew of him. We would pass each other on the water occasionally and I would usually say good morning in the early am as I passed by his truck, parked near the launch.

My deepest condolences to you, his family and friends.
Much love to all.

Todd
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #95
Davesdad
Junior

I'm at a loss for words with all this support guys.Hope to see some of you in the morning.
Davesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #96
FISH11

Smile

I'll be launching tomorrow around 6:20 to fish for a few hours, since the wind is going to pick up and be strong before 11am. The surf report is for 1' wave and should be very easy. I usually don't fish Saturdays because of the crowds, but tomorrow it will be to Honor David. Tight Lines David
Old 09-22-2018, 02:43 AM   #97
Steve Max

My heart has softened and I am lost for words. My prayers to Dave and his Family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:52 AM   #98
MattRabasco

I am sorry for your loss. I never met Dave but saw him out there often. May you find peace and acceptance during this difficult time.
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #99
BFranke
Junior

It’s incredible how bitter sweet someone’s passing can be. We will never know the whys of what happened, but to see how it brings people closer together is amazing. I didn’t know Dave but can tell he was a great person and this tragic event has changed my outlook on the way I go about my daily routines. We will never know when it’s our time to go, so try and enjoy every moment to the fullest. Rest In Peace Dave!!
BFranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #100
the dude

very sorry for your loss.