Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
rackhenry

Leo Carillo

Just got a PA 12 and want to launch at Leo Carillo. Anyone going fishing there any time soon? Definitely need some pointers...
rackhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Roscoe

If everything goes right I will be fishing that area on Sunday. I can do Leo if people are committed to going. Otherwise I will be at deer creek road.
On a side not I just got the 2018 outback and will be putting my Malibu stealth 12 up for sale soon.
Let me know if you can make Sunday
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #3
Beer Me
Take two

Leo Carillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
If everything goes right I will be fishing that area on Sunday. I can do Leo if people are committed to going. Otherwise I will be at deer creek road.

On a side not I just got the 2018 outback and will be putting my Malibu stealth 12 up for sale soon.

Let me know if you can make Sunday

If the surf is down, 9/10 I’ll try Leo Carrillo. I did some scouting yesterday on my motorcycle, checking all the launch spots from Pescador to Pt Magu. The surf was up, I saw one pickup with a Hobie sticker near the LC parking lot underpass.

I’m in the market for smaller kayak for the purpose of difficult beach launches. I prefer pedal though, my shoulder isn’t doing too good.

Last edited by Beer Me; 08-05-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
rackhenry

Im in for Leo this coming Sunday. What time and it will be my first time trying to surf launch the PA 12. I put the Hobie trax wheels today and man the thing is a beast.

What time do we meet and what is the suggested best way to get my kayak to the water?

Surf report looks good so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.17.42 PM.jpg (14.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
Roscoe

I will be there at 5:30am
Right now the forecast looks good.
If anything changes I will let you know
Old 08-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
rackhenry

After moving my PA12 onto wheels and trying to move on concrete it was a PITA. I can't imaging lugging it down a set of broken stairs or the steep access we have to local beaches in Malibu.

Last edited by rackhenry; 08-09-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
CaliHalikiller

Saw your post on my lunch break was going to mention PA probably not the best option for surf launching Leo,this is a place i call home look up my old Post alot are from Leo it's a beautiful fishery but the challenge is getting the Yak to the water I've owned Malibu and Ocean kayaks,I've always stayed away from peddle drives due to the Rocky conditions surf launching there IMO ocean kayak Trident 13 or 15 I prefer 15 with the mod pod is ideal can access and store rods inside nice and secure but the just my 2 cents I'm usually there on Sundays orange Trident 15 white Jeep GC with YakPak sticker on it
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
rackhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHalikiller View Post
Saw your post on my lunch break was going to mention PA probably not the best option for surf launching Leo,this is a place i call home look up my old Post alot are from Leo it's a beautiful fishery but the challenge is getting the Yak to the water I've owned Malibu and Ocean kayaks,I've always stayed away from peddle drives due to the Rocky conditions surf launching there IMO ocean kayak Trident 13 or 15 I prefer 15 with the mod pod is ideal can access and store rods inside nice and secure but the just my 2 cents I'm usually there on Sundays orange Trident 15 white Jeep GC with YakPak sticker on it

Looked at some of your posts.. yea been to Leo and watched some kayak fisherman return with some nice fish..
Old 08-09-2019, 06:27 AM   #9
Roscoe

Anyone going to commit to going to Leo on Sunday?
Surf looks to be 1-2 foot and the wind should be good.
I am fishing on Sunday so if there is anyone wanting to try Leo and needs a buddy let me know. Otherwise I will be at deer creek rd.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
Beer Me
Take two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Anyone going to commit to going to Leo on Sunday?

Surf looks to be 1-2 foot and the wind should be good.

I am fishing on Sunday so if there is anyone wanting to try Leo and needs a buddy let me know. Otherwise I will be at deer creek rd.

I’m in, I just have to figure out how to get my PA14 down the stairs since the day use lot with the tunnel opens so late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #11
Roscoe

Red X is parking.
Red line is path to a dirt ramp by bathrooms.
Yellow line is path to launch area
Yellow X is launch site.
Two people helping drag the kayak thru soft sand should be a problem.
This will be my first surf launch in a hobie outback so it should be interesting.
Also I don’t have sand tires for it so it’s going to be a chore for me.
You going I will be there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BE68B412-B699-43E6-966E-235C1C3ED918.jpeg (76.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Cronus
Cheat to win

I'll commit to Sunday at Leo. I went on the Erna B yesterday and we hit county line, deer creek, Leo and past Leo a bit. Was mostly smalls but a lot of calico action. One guy got a nice sheephead at county line and there were a few nice fat calicos. The captain lost his trying to jerk it up into the boat, think it was the nicest one I saw all day too.

The kelp looked real healthy just to the north of Leo, so may launch and head that way in front of the beach parking area.
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
Cronus
Cheat to win

Also, if your yaks will fit on my DIY kayak cart it has wheeleez, We can take turns going through the sand. I read a lot of good things about the c-tug cart with the sand wheels as well if your looking for something. But I do like the custom fit of mine and the wheeleez just float on our soft sand.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
Beer Me
Take two

Leo Carillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
Also, if your yaks will fit on my DIY kayak cart it has wheeleez, We can take turns going through the sand. I read a lot of good things about the c-tug cart with the sand wheels as well if your looking for something. But I do like the custom fit of mine and the wheeleez just float on our soft sand.

Looking forward to it. Tomorrow will be prep day, replacing all of my tube baits, net, etc. after my issue with the sailboat last week.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #15
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

What would you guys say are the best options for catching fish there? Small hammers are what I usually fish with.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #16
Cronus
Cheat to win

I catch a lot with big hammers there, the small ones, and have recently been having luck with red crab and mint hookup baits. I think most soft bodies will do well there.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #17
Beer Me
Take two

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
What would you guys say are the best options for catching fish there? Small hammers are what I usually fish with.

I’ve been using hook up baits, and a local variant.

The mint blue and red crab 5/8 or 1oz were the ticket that day.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #18
Nickrivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
I can speak for those C-Tugs with the sand wheels. Its held my Outback loaded up quite nicely. Only downside it you have to lift your yak onto them.

I've seen a lot of cool ideas with bungees for the scupper hole style carts where you just lift up on the back and they go in on their own.

Same concept with the Landing gear styles.

But as far as strap style carts go, this things a beast, breaks down quickly for storage, and is way lighter then most carts like it.

Nickrivers is offline   Reply With Quote