Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

The Magic Hour

The Magic Hour:

It can be the right place at the right time, it may consist of local knowledge or just dumb luck. However when it happens, you are in for the time of your life. For me on this day, it must have been a little of it all mixed together. However by far this was the easiest kayak fishing experience I have ever had in Baja and a nice harvest of organic eats consisting of Orange Mouth Corvina, Yellowtail, Sierra Mackeral, Sculpin, spotted bay bass and trigger fish. (Only a select few were harvested)

I had fished 3 days in a row but only got a chance to kayak fish my last day, I met up with a few BWE members Denis Ruso and a friend on day 1 and we did some surf fishing and they invited me on their panga on Sat. Needless to say we fished hard, had fun and filled up their ice chest with plenty of meat to take home. Thanks again Denis, another epic baja adventure in the books!

The Report:

In search for the magic hour I planned to launch between 3-4pm as the tide started to change, visibility was 10-15 feet and a little on the cloudy side. I decided to hit a shallow rocky reef that I knew were holding some Orange Mouth Corvina from a few days prior in the surf. It took me about 45 minutes to locate the school and then it happened.

I noticed subtle ripples on the surface that looked like nervous dancing baits, then I see a beautiful silverish fish leap out of the water, I paddle closer and toss a brand-new chrome kroc pass the boil and start cranking. I get hit and its game on. 1st mission accomplished a nice eating size Corvina.

Keeping an eye out for more boils it begins, surrounded by boils and it’s another perfect cast that hit's the water and it is immediately pulling lots of drag, I end up getting straight up and down with the fish and can see it's a nice size grouper. I can’t believe the size of this fish for 10 feet of water and he is half way under his rock. Knowing I need to turn him before I get rocked I thumb the spool and crank. He turns and shortly after successfully land him.

I’m super stoked and pumped, I know I found the zone! Out in deeper water I see another boil to my left and another on my right. I quickly start paddling out, but before I can get there another boil erupts around me and its Yellowtail on the surface. I hook up on a 5lb micro Yellow, I muscle him to the boat and quickly pop him off for a safe release. Then another one on the next cast. He is pulling mad drag and is guestimated about 15 lbs. I get him to the boat and he spits the hook. Another safe release.

This continues for about a solid hour before dark with a fish on just about every few casts. The crazy thing was every boil was a different species, I ended up landing some big sierra, more corvina, a sculpin, some chunky spotties, pesky triggers and some micro yellows.

With some fish to filet before dark I left them biting. One of the easiest happy paddle back.

All fish were caught on a light bass setup with 1 jig. A chrome 1 oz Kroc I had borrowed and returned to MakoBob. Thanks, Bob!

I went through an entire tackle box of jigs the day before fishing with Denis and his friend. I also ended up donating my Torium 30 and rod to a Sierra Mackerel that seemed to want it more than I did. It was the ongoing joke of the weekend. However, that story is for another day.

On a side note I stopped by Mako-ville and met some new BWE members, I can’t remember their names but everybody seemed cool. We also ended up doing 2 nights of some Baja Yoga at my place, which I never in a million years thought I would be doing. It was great. Great times had by all.
Attached Images

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 11-28-2017 at 11:09 AM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote