Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
Seabass
Junior

Fish finder help

New to the sport and confused about purchasing a fish finder?
Looking at the Raymarine dragonfly and the lowrance elite 5/ 7.
Any recommendations?
I appreciate the help
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I say go Lowrance HDS-5. I have fallen in love with the unit and I am sure you would too. Just as important, purchase from a reputable buyer. May I suggest West Marine, and don't skimp on the extended warranty. In this sport, our gear takes beating, and when the time comes, you want to have options. I purchased an inferior sonar, and wasn't satsified but had the extended warranty. 3 months after realizing I wanted the HDS, all I had to do was take it in, find one I wanted, and pay the difference. That easy.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
bolocop

I'm a Humminbird fan. I've always liked the capability of having two frequencies on one screen. You're able to see the 83/200 cones at the same time.

Whatever you get (I have a Lowrance X-4 pro also), make sure you get at least the 83/200 transducer for LJ. I went with a 200/DI transducer and that's no good in LJ. I see everything with 83/200. I have stayed away from DI for LJ.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
The pelican

I agree w Cadillyak. HDS 5 has served me very well. I also had the Elite 4 (non DSI) and that did the trick for LJ where I fish. It worked much better when the transducer was directly in the water with the mad frog arm (vs through hull, which I used initially). Mostly, I use my finder for GPS, depth, and finding bait. The HDS 5 is better, but I got what I needed from the Elite 4 at a cheaper cost. You might consider that if you're starting off and want to save some money. West Marine frequently puts the HDS5 on sale down to $450. Thats how I bought mine and got one for a buddy too. I suspect labor day will be an excuse for a sale and you'll see it marked down at least $100. The extended warranty, as Cadillyak also said, is the way to go. Like any insurance, it's priced to reflect the costs West Marine expects to pay out in repairs on average, plus some profit. Basically West Marine prices the warranty for boaters who make up most of the buyers. We yak anglers have a much higher risk of using the warranty for obvious reasons. We're in direct contact with salt water, making surf launches and landings, etc. You pay the warranty price for the average person but have a much higher likelyhood of using the coverage because you're on a kayak. Its a good deal in my opinion. Also, dont forget the dialectric grease!

Pat
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
PescadorPete

West Marine has the HDS-5 w/transducer on sale for $399 8/21 thru 9/1.
Too bad they didn't fix the depth contour lines for LJ. Slackers!
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I just got a Dragonfly and used it only two times so far but it's pretty sweet. It seemed easier to use with a cleaner interface and less buttons and options to dig through, and the imaging is awesome. The HDS seemed to have way too many options (engine, Sirius, networking, etc..) that I didn't need for a kayak, but it has some great abilities. So far I'm happy with my purchase. Go to WM and try them out side-by-side before you decide. Either will do a proper job.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
tacmik

The dragonfly is the bomb. Check with OEX as they have it competitively priced and can do the install.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #8
tsugg
LOWSPARK

dragonfly

I've always use lowrance products even as far back as my first chart graph used scrolling paper! when the roll ran out (from the left to the right) you would put in a new roll of paper! Anyway lowrance has always used what I've thought is not the most user friendly software. I'm almost done installing a new ray marine dragonfly and from what I've seen and hope it has really really friendly software and a really great bottom and fish detail. I fished in a buddies boat two weeks ago out of oside and he was using a dragonfly. I was amazed at the detail, on the way in I had him run over the artificial reef #2 because I look at it a lot on my elite 4 hdi and what is a basic hump on the elite, is a complete reef structure on the dragonfly. So I went out and bought one from the GPS store online, got it for $539 with the gold chart. So maybe by noon today I'll get to try it out. PUMPED!!
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
tsugg
LOWSPARK

BTW

All I had to do to fit it(CHIRP transducer) in the Hobie/lowrance transducer mount was to cut the two mounting towers off the black bottom plate. After that the raymarine chirp transducer seemed like it was made to set in the hole with the cover fitting tightly down on it to keep it in place.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Seanbarnett
Junior

Dragonfly

I just bough a dragonfly this week and havent finished installing it but if you are trying nit to drill into your kayak at all the base firs very nicely into the cup holders and will definetky stay put.
Seanbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Maxfli123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
I've always use lowrance products even as far back as my first chart graph used scrolling paper! when the roll ran out (from the left to the right) you would put in a new roll of paper! Anyway lowrance has always used what I've thought is not the most user friendly software. I'm almost done installing a new ray marine dragonfly and from what I've seen and hope it has really really friendly software and a really great bottom and fish detail. I fished in a buddies boat two weeks ago out of oside and he was using a dragonfly. I was amazed at the detail, on the way in I had him run over the artificial reef #2 because I look at it a lot on my elite 4 hdi and what is a basic hump on the elite, is a complete reef structure on the dragonfly. So I went out and bought one from the GPS store online, got it for $539 with the gold chart. So maybe by noon today I'll get to try it out. PUMPED!!
I would love to see those reefs on the dragonfly...wanna post up a pic when u can? I have a humminbird 386ci and I can see the reef but like you said its just a big bump no real detail. I'm heading out that way tomorrow, maybe I'll even see you out
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
Seabass
Junior

This has been a ton help.
Thank you all.
Is there a good reason to get a 50/200 transducer or is the 83/200 good for kayak fishing.
I see the 50/200 gets a better reading when going fast... I'm lucky if I'm doin 3!
I did look at the dragonfly and lowrance at west marine.
The worker at west marine could not stand the dragonfly?!
He is not a kayak fisherman though either.
I appreciate all the advice
Seabass
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #13
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've read that the 50 is for deep water, offshore fishing, like over 600'. You'll be fine with the 83.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
YakDout
Brandon

You will use 200 much more than 50 or 83
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Oside on Sunday maxfli123

I will be at the harbor as we'll I would love to meet and put faces with names. Tomorrow is the maiden voyage for the dragonfly. And my wife is coming along in her outback(tan) I'll be the old fart in the olive PA. IM PLANNING ON FISHING INSIDE the harbor mañana. But I would love to plan a trip out to the reef with you sometime.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #16
bmercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
West Marine has the HDS-5 w/transducer on sale for $399 8/21 thru 9/1.
Too bad they didn't fix the depth contour lines for LJ. Slackers!

Great deal, might pick one up, but my ideal budget for a sonar/gps combo is under 300. any thoughts?
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
Seabass
Junior

Kayak is still not ready for its first voyage.
I do appreciate the invite TSUGG, but I got 2 kids and no life vest?!
Missing out on an epic bite, but safety comes first.
I still have not purchased fish finder, bait tank or a few other items that would be needed.
Can't freakin wait to get out there though.
My buddy Bwana has been helping me out big time putting my kayak all together.
Thanks dude and thanks everybody for the help.
Ballast Point 6 packs of Scullpin are on sale at Sprouts for 10 bucks each...awesome!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #18
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Damn good sale there !!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #19
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I have had a lowrance elite 5 hdi, gold with the 83/00 455/800 transducer since march of this year and Im pretty happy with it.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #20
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Dragonfly

Well I went out at oside harbor sunday as planned to learn how the dragonfly works. As usual(for me) no love from the good but fish lots of macs and pesky lizard fish. The dragonfly is the bomb! coming from a elite 4 dsi, I couldn't go 10 feet and the FF showed structure with fish(not biting fish,lol). I was off the pier in 40' of water playing with it and I found I could drop a 4" z-man down next to the yak and I could watch it all the way down to the bottom then jig it up and down and watch the action from above. So I sure can see everything down below now but I've got to do something tp change my luck out there. Not bringing dinner home is getting old. Still, I could have called in sick and gone back out on monday but I didn't. I love it out there !! I haven't been on a lake( where I know how to bring home dinner) in months.LOL. Saw a pod of porpoise out there, really awsome!.
So the dragonfly works fantastic, I'm completely happy with it.