Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
User name

Waders VS Neoprene Pants

I have always heard that waders can be dangerous if submerged in water. For this reason I bought some neoprene pants for cold weather. From a lot of the videos/pics I see on here it seems that most people use waders. Does anybody have any first hand experience with either of these cold weather options?
User name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Ojos_raros

I have never liked the idea of wearing waders: they seem too warm, I don't like the booties, and the thought of those things filling up with water? Pass.

The majority of days you kayak fish are 70 degrees, no wind days in which you don't need waders. For 10 years, summer and winter, I wore surf trunks.

For the few days every year you want pants, you can get Kokatat kayak pants - they have tight neoprene at the waist and at the ankles too. The best part is that I can take off those suckers while on the kayak and throw them into the hatch. Not sure if you can do that with waders?

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
FISH11

I never use wader while fishing from a kayak. It is usually warm and I don't need anything more than my bathing suit. When the weather is colder or the wind is blowing than I use a pair of kayak pants made by NRS. They have neoprene around the waist and ankles with velcro to fasten and keep the water out. They cost a lot less and as ojos-raros said they are easy to store just like a splash jacket.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Dail14

I have used neoprene whenever I expect to be in cold water. Most of the time I just wear my board shorts since they dry pretty quickly in the socal sun. The main benefit I see for waders is that they keep your feet dry durning surf launches.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
kaya_one

I cut off the legs of an old surfing full suit (rides up above my stomach) and used the legs for a year+. I now use waders. I was afraid of the waders filling with water (myth or for real??) if I took a fall in the water, and I think it is for real. There are videos out there that try to debunk the myth.

I am much more accustomed to the water these days, more accustomed to the gear, the risks, etc.
I have a routine I would go through if I had to get the waders off to re-enter the kayak.

As for why I switched?
I HATE swamp a$$, monkey butt, whatever you want to call it. Wet butt for 6+ hours isn't fun. Its nice to be dry. Yes, i am in a paddle kayak that has a well of water in it 100% of the time.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
User name

It seems that I was mistaken when I thought most people wore waders when they were probably wearing kayak/paddling pants.

Is there a significant mobility difference when completely submerged between kayak/paddling pants and full neoprene pants?

I bought neoprene pants last October. With the warm socal weather I haven’t felt the need to use them, even in the rain. I was just curious after watching the kayak rescue video.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
45user

Well,
I took a dunk while wearing breathable wader earlier this year. Yes they filled up with water but with PFD I did not go down. I don't think it is enough water to pull me down with PFD on. However it may be a problem to get back on the kayak with all that water in your wader. I got back on with no problem tho. With that, for the upcoming colder days, I will probably get a kayak splash pants.
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
ptn
Junior

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=23512

ful-rac wearing waders. He pulled them off easily, which is what you probably should do if you are trying to get back on your yak if it fills with water.

When you are in the water, the waders are not going to sink you, unless you have those waders with heavy boots (denser). Go with stockingfoot ones since the waders are lighter. If you are sinking, it's not because of the waders are filled with water. Water density doesn't change when it goes inside your waders... It's when you are trying to get out of the water with it filled is when it is going to give you a hard time.

You get the drift. Only time I could see a problem is if the current in strong, but in that case, you are going to have a hard time with waders or no waders. Always wear a PFD.

Or someone can enlighten me since I've only had a couple experiences with them on and dumped in the surf which was near shore.

Last edited by ptn; 10-03-2014 at 02:51 PM.
ptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
danjor

Until last lobster season I always just wore board shorts ghat was until one trip the weather man predicted it to be freezing so picked up a pair of $100 waders as a precaution. Wow what a difference it made for lobster fishing when normally you stay soaked all night from throwing wet nets on your lap. The difference between being soaked and dry all night was amazing!
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
jorluivil

How are waders filled with water going to pull you down? Is the water inside the waders heavier than the water outside the waders?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 10-03-2014 at 04:20 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
User name

I see the issue being that humans will sink and the waders make it more difficult to swim, self rescue, and resurface. I understand that there are many benefits to wearing waders so if you are going to wear them have a plan for removal in the water as kaya_one mentioned.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
I see the issue being that humans will sink and the waders make it more difficult to swim, self rescue, and resurface. I understand that there are many benefits to wearing waders so if you are going to wear them have a plan for removal in the water as kaya_one mentioned.
Believe me, If you need to get those waders off in a hurry...you will have no problem getting them off. Ditch'em, they float, you can just come around and pick them up after you rescued yourself.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post

Again, how is the water inside the waders going to sink you if it does not weigh more than the water outside the waders?

Have you ever seen a plastic grocery bag just sit on the surface of the water even though its completely filled with water?

What about a kayak that's completely filled with water? Have you ever seen how they just bob on the surface and do not sink.

I understand what your concern is but waders filled with water will NOT cause you to sink to the bottom of the Mariana trench. Don't believe me? ask Tony.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 10-03-2014 at 09:27 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #14
kentobin
Junior

They sell belts for waders that you put around the wader at chest level to stop the water from getting in. I have one but have never been in a situation to see how well it would work as I just use it for surf fishing.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

If you 'accidentally' tip over and your wader fills with water you may not sink but you also won't be able get back on/in your kayak. Saltwater weighs 8.5 lbs per gallon and I have no idea how many gallons a wader can hold. :-)

Normally I just use a farmer john. Easy to pull down if I start overheating.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
steveooo

Jim Sammons made a nice video a few years back regarding the "waders of death" myth.

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I use neoprene shorts under my board shorts sometimes in summer, and waders when it's colder (wintertime). Get breathable waders, they aren't hot at all. It's amazing how comfortable you can be all day while staying dry with waders. Neoprene.. different story. Not uncomfortable, and better than sitting in a puddle all day, but you are always wet inside... like kaya said, Monkey Butt. But they give some nice warmth that lets me stay out for hours comfortably all day and into the evenings.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #17
pbb

The potential problem with wader is not so much that they will pull you to the bottom, but that they make it hard to get back aboard.

Has anyone tried waterproof pants that don't seal at the bottom to prevent wet butt? I'm thinking along the lines of Grundens. Seems like the biggest issue might be getting water inside during a surf launch, that would then pool in your seat and give you the same problem.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
old_rookie

I started wearing waders - but when it was time to empty the bladder - it was a pain. Someone told me about watching someone trying to launch at LJ. It was a bigger surf day and the story teller said her and her friend had decided not to go. The guy trying to launch flipped, was wearing waders, and had a hard time getting out of the surf. They noticed him having so much trouble and went in to pull him out. After that I decided to get the Kokatat pants. I've wiped out a number of times with them and it is way easier when nature calls. I wear them all year - yeah, even when it is hot because I don't want to get fried by the sun, and in cooler temps, I get cold easy once I get wet from launching. Underneath I'll either have swim shorts, or warm up pants.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I started wearing waders - but when it was time to empty the bladder - it was a pain. Someone told me about watching someone trying to launch at LJ. It was a bigger surf day and the story teller said her and her friend had decided not to go. The guy trying to launch flipped, was wearing waders, and had a hard time getting out of the surf. They noticed him having so much trouble and went in to pull him out. After that I decided to get the Kokatat pants. I've wiped out a number of times with them and it is way easier when nature calls. I wear them all year - yeah, even when it is hot because I don't want to get fried by the sun, and in cooler temps, I get cold easy once I get wet from launching. Underneath I'll either have swim shorts, or warm up pants.

I believe that faithful day your referring to that resonates in my mind like yesterday, was almost my last..If indeed it was the same story, Sharon & Steve saved my life. (I am an excellent swimmer, surfer, diver, spearo, ect & I wear waders on my yak 365 & my PFD on about 80% of the time.Still..) Those are controlled situations, as I have mentioned before. The myth has not been debunked IMHO.
Real world situation: It was a huge cold winter morning, but I was competing in the WCW, and no day was going to stop me from getting out, or so I thought.
I had pierced through overhead waves countless times before with my old Prowler, and came out the victor. Although this day dealt me a different set. Literally. I probably couldn’t see the roller building outside on account of all the other ones firing and trying to get my timing to charge over the impact zone. Either way those facts of the story are insignificant to the OP question, so when it rains it pours, & when the sheet hits the fan…Look out!
It was cold winter water & after getting slammed solid, scorpion flipped to the bottom, I took in a small breath of water directly into my lungs right as I finally came to the surface, and got hammered by a few more forcing a hundred extra pounds of saltwater down into my stocking feet & going through the washing machine. (For those of you that haven’t experienced this, it is painful, and extremely scary as you try your best to get just one tiny bit of oxygen before you feel yourself slowly pass out and eventually drown.) It was really early in the morning and I didn’t think anyone would even see me, much less come to help, because I couldn’t even yell 1 single word. Waiting to die. The cold water had already shocked my system, and getting slammed held down for multiple waves wasn’t fun..Not thinking straight at this critical point, I couldn’t get my bearings to realize my feet felt like I was given Jimmy Hoffa’s shoes. I flailed my arms in a last ditch attempt & somehow two angels were soon hauling me off the ‘football field’ in fine BWE fashion. (Important detail to note: My nasal passageways are almost completely blocked due to a completely smashed septum. I have to breath out of my mouth, making air while surfing, diving, swimming a little difficult for me sometimes.)
When, and I do mean “WHEN” you crash, it will not be the most practical of situations. In fact ,it is going to be the worst case in point. I am sorry to be the bearer of this news, but it is reality, and everyone should be prepared. Launchings & landings are going to be the most challenging situations while wearing waders of course.
This could have easily been avoided, had I just put my tail between my legs and headed home with the heater running, as a few kayakers did that dreaded morning…
Thank you again Steve & Sharon for running into the chilly surf, to drag my lifeless body adorned with three mill cinderblock shoes from out of the relentless assault..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
FISH11

I think the important thing to remember, whether you want to use waders or kayak pants. Safety is the most important thing, it's #1. From what I have seen is a lot of the people using waders don't use the chest "safety belt", without that any fall in the water is instantly going to fill it up or close to it with water. That makes it very dangerous. You won't sink, but you will have a very hard time standing up if you are in shallow water. If you are in open water there is no way you are getting back in your ride without taking them off. I have some neoprene waders I use when duck hunting and I would never enter any water deeper than 2 feet without using the "safety chest belt". That is why they make it, to slow down the amount of water that can get inside if you end up in the water with the level above the chest opening. If you use wader don't forget the SAFETY CHEST BELT, they cost like $10. Isn't your life worth more than that.