Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
hage0429
Junior

Newport 8/29

I've been following BWE since getting into kayak fishing earlier this year. Was trying to wait until I picked up something significant to make my first post but after 100+ hours around the Newport area and a couple days at La Jolla small bonito and a few barely legal calicos are the best I'd managed so far.

Went out Saturday more to beat the heat than anything. Launched from the kiddie beach around 4:00pm and trolled near the surface in anywhere from 150-300 ft down to about the middle of crystal cove beach before turning back and working along the kelp line at twilight. Water temp was about 76F and boat traffic was lighter than I expected for a Saturday so it was a nice day on the water even if the fishing wasn't too exciting. I picked up a bigger bonito than usual (~6lb) trolling a small white swim bait and decided I'd keep it for ceviche and make it my first post. There were a couple other small bass in the mix once I got closer to the kelp but nothing exciting.

Was keeping an eye on a sea lion and washing my knife as the bonito bled on a game hook. Five seconds later I felt a little bump, 2/3 of the fish was gone, and about 16 inches of fin was swinging around behind me. Nothing exceptionally alarming or "aggressive" about the situation but, considering the cloud of blood and scales it made, I opted not to stick around for a precision ID or length estimate.

Sorry for no on the water pics, I didn't want to mess with trying to take one myself on the water and it was dark by the time I got back to the beach.

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully my next post will involve an intact fish and be something destined for sashimi instead of ceviche!
Attached Images

hage0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
AirborneYak

Nice going! Sorry about the taxman. My cousin got his red stolen by a hammerhead on a stronger a few weeks back.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Dark_Knight_9C1

Sounds like an adventure at least. Better luck next time.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
govomit

bonito recipe

CA tax is under 10%, but this looks like 50% - you were overtaxed

Hage, a word of advice about ceviche. Here is a great recipe a use, just put 1+ lbs fish instead of 2. But they say "firm" fillet, which would be YT. I tried with bonito, but the bonito meat is super delicate and turns out kind of soft. With YT, you get the real thing.
I think the best recipe for bonito is to salt it - cover it with rock salt (Morton Ice Cream Salt) for 12-18 hours in the fridge. Then drain the water, clean the meat from salt, wash with water and dry with paper towel. Delicious salted "sushi" that you can enjoy for a long time keeping it of course refrigerated. And it beats salted YT.
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
hage0429
Junior

Thanks for the recipe govomit! I'll definitely try salting the next bonito. But, if I manage to pick up a YT it's going to become sashimi with jalapeno and green onion!
hage0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
PapaDave

I don't know what you guys are talking about, salting it, really?

Just cook it like you would ordinarily, it really does taste good. Personally, I just slice it up, heat it up a little to where it is still light pink in the middle (about 2 minutes) and enjoy.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I hate to admit it, but that picture is hilarious. You made my morning. On another note, I have been reading a lot lately about people getting their fish stolen by sharks and sea lions.

Me myself, once I get a fish (which rarely happens), I cut the gills, and a few vicious dunks in the drink before it goes on board. Wet towel over it (going to purchase a kill bag soon).

I may be going out on a limb, but if you keep your fish in the water, it will get stolen, just a matter of time. It's an easy meal. I'm sure many will agree to not keep your fish in the water.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
ratdog

It only took me once to figure out, no hangin fish! never!
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote