Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #21
Yakman88
Junior

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate your response. Is it pretty easy to launch out there in La Jolla? My kayak is a tandem so thinking about possibly going with a buddy or something. How far out do you have to go off La Jolla to get to around 100 feet water depth?
Yakman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #22
Robert79
Junior

Try hitting a harbor first if your by yourself. Look up seagate bridge in Huntington harbor. I'm still farely new as well and that's been great place to start. If you get into any trouble there's always people around and the anglers in the area have been very helpful. I'm still paddling light, plenty of water, one rod, and one 3600 Plano with baits. At least for me, paddling isn't as easy as the seasoned guys make it look. Good luck
Robert79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #23
svendawg

Talk little steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakman88 View Post
Hello All,

I am new to Yaking. Just starting out. Would love to get advice from everyone on where is best for people just starting out. Also bought a yak recently. Not too expensive, got it for a good deal. It's a Lifetime Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak. Is it okay to take out in the ocean? Hopefully some of you have some tips and tricks for me. Hope to hear from you all.

Thanks, Brandon
I had that Kayak for a couple of years and fished it mostly in small lakes. It is a very stable kayak and was fun to fish in freshwater lakes in calm weather.The kayak is slow and difficult to track straight. I added a DIY rudder that helped quite a bit. (I have pictures of the rudder if you want to build one)
Before you take it too far in the ocean I would recommend you take it out where there is some wind and current and try to paddle against the wind and current. It will be an eye opener for you. That kayak is difficult to paddle against the wind and current.
Remember just because you go out with no wind and current, it will come up when you least expert it and you better know what you are up against.

A good location to try it out would be in San Diego Bay in the afternoon when the wind and current is up. Try it out close to the Shelter Island boat launch that way you can get back to the launch if you get into trouble.
If you feel good about a short trip do some longer trips in the San Diego Bay, ( a mile or two against the current to build your confidence)

I used to hate it when the wind came up and I had to cover any type of distance. I sold mine for that reason. It is a good lake kayak.
I believe the manufacturer also states it is not recommended for the ocean.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #24
Yakman88
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
I had that Kayak for a couple of years and fished it mostly in small lakes. It is a very stable kayak and was fun to fish in freshwater lakes in calm weather.The kayak is slow and difficult to track straight. I added a DIY rudder that helped quite a bit. (I have pictures of the rudder if you want to build one)
Before you take it too far in the ocean I would recommend you take it out where there is some wind and current and try to paddle against the wind and current. It will be an eye opener for you. That kayak is difficult to paddle against the wind and current.
Remember just because you go out with no wind and current, it will come up when you least expert it and you better know what you are up against.

A good location to try it out would be in San Diego Bay in the afternoon when the wind and current is up. Try it out close to the Shelter Island boat launch that way you can get back to the launch if you get into trouble.
If you feel good about a short trip do some longer trips in the San Diego Bay, ( a mile or two against the current to build your confidence)

I used to hate it when the wind came up and I had to cover any type of distance. I sold mine for that reason. It is a good lake kayak.
I believe the manufacturer also states it is not recommended for the ocean.
Thanks for the info. I guess I just gotta go feel it out and see how it feels and all before I decide to go into open water. I've read on some online reviews of some guys that take theirs out into the Atlantic ocean but I don't know what the difference is wind wise and swell wise between the Pacific and Atlantic. I tried to do a little research to see if it was recommended only for freshwater but yielded no results. Maybe I should take a buddy with me since it's a tandem so I have some help paddling. How's the bay near the Seaworld area? Appreciate the info man!
Yakman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #25
momo fish

Totally agree with Sven..

Just cause it's a kayak doesn't mean it's suitable for all conditions. Mission bay is great area to learn and fish. I would stick to the bay and see how you handle wind and boat chops Be safe and don't rush into heading out to "open water".. Trust me you don't want to get yourself in a bad situation as many of us have in the past when starting out.. Not worth losing your life.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #26
svendawg

Seaworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakman88 View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess I just gotta go feel it out and see how it feels and all before I decide to go into open water. I've read on some online reviews of some guys that take theirs out into the Atlantic ocean but I don't know what the difference is wind wise and swell wise between the Pacific and Atlantic. I tried to do a little research to see if it was recommended only for freshwater but yielded no results. Maybe I should take a buddy with me since it's a tandem so I have some help paddling. How's the bay near the Seaworld area? Appreciate the info man!
Seaworld is in Mission Bay. That is great place to get familiar with your kayak and practice paddling and self rescues. It's get windy there too so you will get a change to paddle in the wind. Once your comfortable then go to San Diego Bay (Shelter Island launch) during the running tide and get a feel for paddling against the tide and wind.
Remember to wear your PFD all the time, especially while practicing self rescues.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #27
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Totally agree with Sven..

Just cause it's a kayak doesn't mean it's suitable for all conditions. Mission bay is great area to learn and fish. I would stick to the bay and see how you handle wind and boat chops Be safe and don't rush into heading out to "open water".. Trust me you don't want to get yourself in a bad situation as many of us have in the past when starting out.. Not worth losing your life.
+1 I was there it sucked!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote