Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Schmalzy88

Los Alamitos Bay 6/9 finally saw some action

Headed down to the LAB today and met up with my buddy Jaime (cell128) around 8am.

Anchored up near the launch and tried to make some bait to no avail. Wound up hookin a small stingray, about a 10 inch wingspan.
Decided we should head out to the jetty mouth to give that a wack and hooked up on this little sandy on the way out on a nuke chicken gulp shrimp rigged up weedless.

Not much luck in the jetty and it was pretty rough so we tucked our tails between out legs and went back inside.

We anchored up once again and I dropped down some mackerel and returned to fishing the gulp shrimp. Got a couple nibbled on the shrimp but no takers. Then got bit on the mackerel with this ray (slightly smaller than the first).

Jaime had to jet to work but I stuck around to throw out my last half a Mack on the cal star. I figured why the hell not.
While reeling in a massive smelt (13 inches) I got lit up on the cal star.
Had my anchor down and had to bust some ninja shit to get the anchor up and keep from flipping from the pull on my rod.

Got towed around the bay for about 45 minutes, nearly getting spooled 2 times. After that whole debacle, I realized that there was no way in hell I was pulling this thing into the yak so I started to make way for shore. Got to shore and some paddle boarder helped me drag my yak on shore.

Another 15 minutes of drama and some good runs and I finally dragged the monster up on shore. After a quick photo op and some measurements, I dragged it back to the shallows and safely released it.

What an incredible experience and the biggest catch on my yak by far. Hope to keep the luck Rollin.

I hope you guys enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schmalzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
MissileTM

Nice Mud Marlin! Bat rays are sure fun to catch. Did he breach a lot? Sometimes it looks like they are trying to fly when you fight them.
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Cool pictures!

Those things can kick your butt and test your drags a little.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
cell128
lizard king

That's probably the one that was toying with me all the way down the jetty...he must of got tangled on your line lol. I owe you that jackpot $

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Schmalzy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissileTM View Post
Nice Mud Marlin! Bat rays are sure fun to catch. Did he breach a lot? Sometimes it looks like they are trying to fly when you fight them.

It was a blast to catch! One stubborn SOB against another. Didn't breach at all, didn't even see color till I beached my yak and started beasting it in. My upper body is wrecked today after that fight. Easily 100+ lbs but can't be certain because all I had was one of those crappy berkley spring scales on me and it maxes out at like 12lbs. Didn't wanna mess around too long with it so a measurement was good enough. Plus he got to go back with a nice 2/0 circle hook piercing to show the ladies.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Schmalzy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
That's probably the one that was toying with me all the way down the jetty...he must of got tangled on your line lol. I owe you that jackpot $

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pay up sukkah!!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
Schmalzy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Cool pictures!

Those things can kick your butt and test your drags a little.

It's a good thing it bit on the cal star and not the shimano ultra lite that I got the little guys on. Or I would have been screwed

Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
blitzburgh

Those are fun
Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Squid Vicious
plastic navey squid

...cool report
Malibu Mini X F & D "anchovie "
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote