Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
joefish808

Lure recommendation question

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a lure that has these qualities:

1. Anywhere from 3/4 of an ounce to 1.5 ounces; maybe 2 ounces
2. Can be retrieved at a relatively high speed; meaning, slower than say "yo yo" technique for yellowtail, but definitely higher than retrieving a krocodile/kastmaster spoon. So somewhere in the middle
3. A lure that has good to great action on the basic winding retrieve. For instance a p-line type jig doesn't have great action, IMO, on a basic retrieve; you have to jerk and twitch to give it that action.
4. A versatile lure that has the capability to catch a variety of fish from bonito, tuna, yellowtail to calicos, etc.

I know I'm asking a lot here, so does this lure even exist lol? Even if you have a recommendation for something close, I'd like to hear it. I really enjoy fishing with lures, so I'll try anything in any pattern if it's worth trying, as long as the lure doesn't cost a small fortune.

Thanks all,

Joe
joefish808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
2-Stix

take those little p-lines and put a bend in them. that will create the wiggle and jiggle your looking for. little bait little fish, big bait big fish. some fish will prey on the same sizes, but not always. the enjoyment is working different jigs for different fish in different areas. i have the full rack. from 1oz to 6oz. lucky crafts, rapalas, krocks, kastmasters, sumo, tady, etc...
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
joefish808

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
take those little p-lines and put a bend in them. that will create the wiggle and jiggle your looking for. little bait little fish, big bait big fish. some fish will prey on the same sizes, but not always. the enjoyment is working different jigs for different fish in different areas. i have the full rack. from 1oz to 6oz. lucky crafts, rapalas, krocks, kastmasters, sumo, tady, etc...
LOL I also carry a lot of lures like you and have all the ones you mention, although I don't use lucky craft anymore. Also thanks for the p line tip (should've thought about that myself but didnt). The rod/reel combo I enjoy casting the most is my curado hg/zodias combo, so essentially looking for a lure that I can cast w that combo frequently, if you know what I mean
Old 10-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
Denis_Ruso

Try out the Shimano Coltsniper, nice and heavy to get down in the water column and IMO has a really good action. Have caught everything from small YT to YFT to calico and a Bonita killer or sure. Or of course megabaits.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Snags

Been using the Hopkins shorty lately.
Bonito and Calicos love it. No YTs on it yet but I imagine it it would catch them. Comes in a variety of weights.
I prefer the single hook to the treble.
Good for trolling, vertical jig, and they cast a mile.
Don't usually see them in the shops here. They are big on the east coast for Stripers and Bluefish.
Snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
joefish808

Denis, I've tried coltsnipers and have caught some calico on them. I don't fish them too often, but will give them more shots.

Snags, I definitely would like to try the Hopkins lures. I looked them up and they look legit. I don't think I've seen them around like you mentioned.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:04 AM   #7
tamddo714

no matter what you choose or find, its all about fishing that lure with confidence
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamddo714 View Post
no matter what you choose or find, its all about fishing that lure with confidence
Agree 4x, also more about how you make the jig swim than what color it is. Off Florida I do alot of vertical jigging and have had alot of success with the williamson abyss jig in 100g, with an added single hook. Landed everything from Yellowtail snappers, Blackfin, kingfish, cudas to Huge Amberjacks on it. Had 3 instances of 2 fish on one jig last summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2species1jig.jpg (98.5 KB, 138 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
surfisher

X3 ... Fish one lure and learn to make it swim good. Similar to fishing the surface iron you find what retrieves make it swim right.

That being said, I think the colt sniper, and/or the megabaits, would work pretty good! I have caught everything from YT, tuna, bonito, dorado, calico, even some sand bass on it. Took a few to Costa Rica last spring and the Jack Crevalle were all over it!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
taggermike

One of the most versatile lures I use is the mega bait or similar "dart" style iron. It cast great, comes in plenty of sizes, and gets bit at about every speed between as fast as you can turn the handle to a no retrieve fluttering sink. Even at high speeds they dont have alot of resistance. They can work the whole water column too. Surface retrieve, yoyo, in between, or jigged along the bottom. The mega baits aren't too pricey either. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Another one for the megabait or P-lines.

26lb cabrilla caught on megabait with no paint left on it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445447052.938514.jpg
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #12
joefish808

Yea, I find myself using mega baits and p line lures more often nowadays as well - great casting distance on them! I use them to make bait since I get bored using the sabiki rig to catch macks.

A big reason for this thread is to find suggestions for a lure that can be retrieved at fast speeds (on pretty light tackle) for the quick pelagics, especially when they don't feel like biting. I'm probably using all the right lures already, but did get some good suggestions in this thread. And you're all very right - confidence is huge when using a lure.