Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
young mola

Pro angler?

Hey whats up guys? Ive been looking into gettin a new yak lately and was wondering if anyone fishes the pro angler? I never really see them or hear anyone talking about them. It looks like a sweet little boat but was wonderin if anyones got any experience with them. Im still in my first yak now a cobra escape and its small but just wondering if the pro angler is too big? I dont mind the extra work with launching and loading just curious how the handle on the water. I weigh around like 180 so i dont need a huge boat but want something i can move around on a bit easier. Im gunna stop by oex today went by yesterday and they were out to lunch was gunna come back but got tied up so i called in sick today to do some research.. ahh to be a bachelor with few responsibilities...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new 003.jpg (19.7 KB, 364 views)
young mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have observed a few guys on the water in the Pro Angler. The extra space and stability appear to be pluses but the extra weight and reduced agility would be a deal killer for me. Launching and landing in any kind of surf would certainly be a challenge.

I think the Prangler would be a great boat for lakes, bays and other flat water venues. For fishing off LJ, maybe not so much, although Kurtfish says he loves his.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
blitzburgh

Really happy P.A. owner here. I love all of the room and storage I have on the boat. Surprisingly quick, plenty agile to me and SUPER-stable. I stand up in it, often. I am an little over 6'-2" and 215lb. That said, the boat is no joke to transport. At the end of a long day on the water you will not be looking forward to packing up . The Thule racks I installed on my car make a world of difference, if you have a truck, you're golden. One thing for sure, BUY A SET OF WHEELS immediately. This is a good idea for most yaks, a MUST for the P.A.. I cannot speak for the surf launch aspect of it yet but I know guys have done it successfully with relatively no major changes in technique or problems. I plan on a few practice sessions in the coming weeks. All that said, I LOVE my P.A. .

blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

The Pro Angler is sick!

To say it's not the right boat for La Jolla?...ah, nevermind. I've fished the Pro Angler in La Jolla and it's handles very well. Easily as well as the Outback. And I really like the bow design compared to the Outback, as you don't have the bow splash.

The Pro Angler's uber-stable, but faster than most kayaks. You can hook, fight and land fish...standing up! As a matter of fact I'm making space in the garage for one now.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I really like the idea of a peddle kayak. I will be on my x-factor for some time. Saving up my $$.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
To say it's not the right boat for La Jolla?...ah, nevermind. I've fished the Pro Angler in La Jolla and it's handles very well. Easily as well as the Outback. And I really like the bow design compared to the Outback, as you don't have the bow splash.

The Pro Angler's uber-stable, but faster than most kayaks. You can hook, fight and land fish...standing up! As a matter of fact I'm making space in the garage for one now.
kick back ????????????j/k or am iiiiii ha seen plenty of guys eat shizz in the surf. lack of experience maybe amusing to watch possibly
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
roosta

Get one!

The Pro Angler surf launches just fine. Like any kayak, it takes a little getting used too, especially since it is 38" wide. I have fished a bunch off of it in the ocean on both calm and bumpy days, and surf launched it a number of times. The PA is very stable and nice for standing up and casting surface iron at yellows. It is surprisingly fast for its size and has plenty of storage space. The large seat is really comfy and is raised up so your butt stays dry; the center hatch that houses your tackle provides easy access. The horizontal rod storage keeps your rods flat and safe when launching and landing through the surf. Go get one!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
kick back ????????????j/k or am iiiiii ha seen plenty of guys eat shizz in the surf. lack of experience maybe amusing to watch possibly
Hey, that's me your watching crash. Don't blame the boat. I'm learning, I'll get there. It's a great boat and very well designed

I'd put up a crash smilie but I don't see one.

If your going to put down the money for a new boat, I'd seriously consider a Hobie because of the peddles. Before I got my Pro Angler I had a paddle yak. I went with a friend he spent all day fishing and I spent most of the day paddling to stay in position.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by toby; 04-27-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: More to say
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
WahooUSMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbRSl9-9g3g

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Wahoo, I am assuming that that was not James Cameron behind the camera. I started getting sea sick just trying to watch the video.

Kidding aside, I was surprised at how dry the launch was in the Prangler. My Revo would have plowed through some of those gnarly two footers but the Prangler went right over the top. Cool!

The landing, of course, was something we all have experienced. I have seen some guys who are able to surf their yaks all the way to the beach but most of us look like the video about half the time.

Maybe just for fun, we ought to have a surf contest for yakfishers one of these days. Get some judges who grade the launch, landing and degree of difficulty, (based on wave size, yak size and other variables.) That would be a fun event and an even better video.

Bob
Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Wahoo, I am assuming that that was not James Cameron behind the camera. I started getting sea sick just trying to watch the video.

Kidding aside, I was surprised at how dry the launch was in the Prangler. My Revo would have plowed through some of those gnarly two footers but the Prangler went right over the top. Cool!

The landing, of course, was something we all have experienced. I have seen some guys who are able to surf their yaks all the way to the beach but most of us look like the video about half the time.

Maybe just for fun, we ought to have a surf contest for yakfishers one of these days. Get some judges who grade the launch, landing and degree of difficulty, (based on wave size, yak size and other variables.) That would be a fun event and an even better video.

Bob

I don't care how small the surf is, I usually end up sliding into home with the Revo. No matter the drives in or out, I have a 75% chance I ain't gonna make it! Pisses me off, especially when I see the rental crowd paddle right past me, usually laughing. Going out isn't the problem for me, its coming in...

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
-scallywag-
Banned

stand-up yellows ??? on the carolina rig??

Ok, that pic got me thinkin bout the good ol' days....I've never peddled the prangler, but I did spend over a year fishing LJ in it's older sibling, the outfitter tandum. The outfitter is only 34"'s wide and 79lbs but is still a beast when compared to the single seat yaks out there and it's similar in size to the prangler. Size has its advantages, and disadvanteges.

+'s :
Stability - sight fishing YT, stand up casts, taking a leak, taking naps/overnighters, exc...

Capacity - lots gear, coolers, camping gear, hoop nets, surfboards?, passengers? exc....

Hull design - this was my major peev with the outfitter, hull splash/slap, but on the prangler the bow design is much more vertical and I'm sure much quieter, especially in rougher conditions.

-'s :
Weight - moving more weight = more work. Less speed, less range, tired legs, and excessive miragedrive wear. Then you have the loading, unloading, storage, mothership trips? exc...

High profile - This was another peev I had with the outfitter, it was like a sail in the wind, and the prangler looks worse (although a drouge or drift chute could be used). although the higher bow would probably keep my sunglass's from getting splashed (another peev) and lower my agrivation level in those conditions.

Hull design - The prangler hull design behind the bow does have me a little skeptical as it appears to be very similar to the 1st gen outback hulls which has the same rounded egg shape that lacked a defined keel and did not track well (or, at all) without the rudder down. This made heavier surf landings very difficult.

Cockpit - I'm also a little scared of the volume of water the cockpit could hold after taking a good wave or whitewater over the bow while launching. Now, I know they have scuppers plus the drive hole but so does the outfitter and even when the cockpit on the outfitter (which does not hold much water compared to the prangler) gets filled by a wave it takes 3-5seconds to drain out, during that time the yak is sluggish and responds very slowly...this can make getting thru 5-8sec interval wind swell a pain.

Conclusion : Stand up fishing is the shiznit!!! and the prangler is a super sick platform for that style of fishing. Its a "fair weather" boat great for fishing the bays and lakes (LJ is a lake 90% of the time) exc... but IMO if your serious about fishing in the ocean (wind, waves, current, chop exc.) and targeting pelagics and can only own one yak, then the light weight, sleek and efficient design of the more traditional kayaks would be your best bet. If I didn't already have the outfitters and I could get it inside my house, I would have a prangler in my quiver....but I already have a fully rigged standup fishing machine ready to go and I still fish the revo 90% of the time....
The true test is coming though, if Josh has both the Revo and Prangler in his quiver which will get the most use??
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
toby

Contest!

Quote:
W

Bob

I like your idea Bob! Winner takes a cash prize. Serious sponsors donating great prizes
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
T Bone

Having just suffered aa catastophic surf landing/wreck/pearl/yardsale I am curious about the horizontal rod holders and If an 800m calstar would fit in there.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Having just suffered aa catastophic surf landing/wreck/pearl/yardsale I am curious about the horizontal rod holders and If an 800m calstar would fit in there.

I'm not familiar with the 800m, but I think the rod holders are supposed to take 8 ft'ers. It takes my black hollow sabiki rod. It also has bungies that lash over the rod butts in 3 different places. Works great for me I'm an expert at crashing and the only thing I've lost is my sun glasses.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
T Bone

Well I just up'ed my standings in the wipeout olympics.I think I am going for the platinum medal...

If I sell My skiff and my big game I could get one.I am going to practice landing my skiff like they do the pangas in mexico.It should be interesting...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
roosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I am curious about the horizontal rod holders and If an 800m calstar would fit in there.
The horizontal rod storage on the Pro Angler will hold a fly rod up to 9'6". The reel sits a little further back, but it still works great for protecting the rod. It fits my 9' jig stick very well.

The horizontal rod holders were originally designed to house 6 freshwater bass rods which are thinner and have smaller reels than the typical setups we use in La Jolla. I usually take 4 rods: a sibiki rod, two 7ft 30lb outfits, and my 9ft jig stick, and I store two rods horizontally on either side of me. This makes getting them in and out of the holders quite easy.
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #18
j mo

High class problem

I fished LJ recently with an "older" gent who was on Pro Angler. Surf was up much more than normal (for LJ) and he punched through w ease. Said as long as he stays "square" to the surf he never has an issue. It agility was impressive.

Have to say I was super jealous especially after he popped in the torquedo drive and blew past me...

Love the Revo but the Pro Anglers got me thinking especially when it comes to my little guy, when he gets a bit older it would easily fish both of us.... And if they close Cardiff/Swamis to fishing it would make a super stable spearfishing rig. (Can you tell I’m trying to talk myself into why I should have one????)

The only real issue I see is transportation. It’s a beast of a kayak. I can lift my revo onto my car easily. But without a truck, the Pro Angler would be a 2 man job or a thrown out back for me.

Best,

Josh

PS

Can’t wait to see what it looks like on the roof of a BMW though
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #19
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

So Josh, will you be getting the Prangler with or without your wife's approval? I say you go with the plan of hoping for forgiveness rather than trying to get permission.

If you have to lay low for a while, you can pitch a tent in my back yard.

Bob
Old 04-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #20
Nic D

Quote:
If you have to lay low for a while, you can pitch a tent in my back yard.

Bob
as long as he brings the PAngler right?
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote