Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
yaksailor

22 Is The New 24

What a difference a week makes with the weather! Memorial Day weekend was windy and the first weekend in June had record rain. This Sunday was the first day in a while to have nice conditions. We launched in Santa Barbara to lake-like conditions. The water was clear; we could see fish and urchins on the floor at 20 feet. Wind was about 5 knots, slowing to 2 knots by 1pm. Water was in the mid-to-upper 50’s. There was a strong current pushing us uphill, making it tough to stay on our marks.

I was using the 5-inch BH Fall colors with a weed-guarded jig-head. Austin was using a similar swimmy with a bare jig-head. No doubt that the weedless keeps you out of snagville, but you lose more fish. If you can see where you casting, the bare jig-head is the ticket.

We caught assorted RF, lings, cabs and a couple of spider crabs. Austin thought it would be funny to tease some crabs with the swimmy and ended up snagging them. Say goodbye to that lure! He caught and lost an old-school ling, but redeemed himself with a 23-incher.

I tested out my new Briggs & Stratton / Hobie live well, custom made for the Revolution. It kept a ling and several RF alive for hours. This puppy fits perfectly behind the seat and is low-profile so that you can still access stuff on the stern. It has a built-in handle and drain spout. AND you can buy it for $13.49 at the Do-it-Center! I’m not sure why the original Hobie version is so tall, unless maybe you’re holding giant sea-horses.

A rainy fishing day last week:

Austin’s ling:

This cabbie was eating rock crabs:

Dangerous Catch:

Some pics of my Briggs & Stratton / Hobie live well. They also come in red, which has got me thinking…

yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Deuce

Nice fish. sounds like a good time
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Dean Machine

Nice idea for a live well.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
tagyak

cool live well. i am still a bit confused on the briggs and stratton reference?
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
cool live well. i am still a bit confused on the briggs and stratton reference?
They manufacture gas cans along with small motors for lawn mowers.

http://www.google.com/search?q=briggs+%26+stratton+gas+can&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=fi&biw=1639&bih=771
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Cool bait tank, great report!!!

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

excellent job on the live well John, almost looks like you bought it that way, nice craftsmanship, nice report too...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
tagyak

yaksailer, that is a nice tank. from the pictures it looks like you ran the battery wire thru your hull? also noticed that you had a hobie hatch on it, may i ask why not run the inlet thru the scupper and up into the tank like hobies?
could you take some more pictures of your setup? it looks real clean.

thanks
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
yaksailor

Quote:
yaksailer, that is a nice tank. from the pictures it looks like you ran the battery wire thru your hull? also noticed that you had a hobie hatch on it, may i ask why not run the inlet thru the scupper and up into the tank like hobies?

thanks
Thanks, guys.

Yes, it does have a Hobie hatch and the wire goes through the hull to the one 12-volt battery. I really did debate whether to run both the fill and drain through the scuppers. I decided not to, since the scupper pump requires you to pedal forward to prime. The pump must run continuously to stay primed. Thus, you'll need a really big 12 volt battery, or a second 6-volt battery. I don't want to carry more than one battery. Plus, I want to be able to access the inlet if it gets clogged with kelp or eelgrass. A scoop type inlet seems like it wouldn't have enough screen filter area to prevent clogging (to me anyways). Also, knowing me, I would inevitably land with the scoop sticking out below my hull. If I could figure out a way to use the scupper without having a periscope sticking below the hull, with ample filter area, I might do it for Austin's kayak.

I'll try to take some more pics tonight after I get home.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksailor View Post
Thanks, guys.

Yes, it does have a Hobie hatch and the wire goes through the hull to the one 12-volt battery. I really did debate whether to run both the fill and drain through the scuppers. I decided not to, since the scupper pump requires you to pedal forward to prime. The pump must run continuously to stay primed. Thus, you'll need a really big 12 volt battery, or a second 6-volt battery. I don't want to carry more than one battery. Plus, I want to be able to access the inlet if it gets clogged with kelp or eelgrass. A scoop type inlet seems like it wouldn't have enough screen filter area to prevent clogging (to me anyways). Also, knowing me, I would inevitably land with the scoop sticking out below my hull. If I could figure out a way to use the scupper without having a periscope sticking below the hull, with ample filter area, I might do it for Austin's kayak.

I'll try to take some more pics tonight after I get home.
bravo sir...excellent info...b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
yaksailor

Quote:

thanks
Here's some pics. I forgot to take a pic of the hole thru the hull, but that's pretty common; just a rubber stopper with a hole in it.

My 12 volt cell is in a Lock-n-Lock box. It's like it was made for this cell with 2 fuse holders:

It's a pretty standard mounting method, except for the dog collar. Yeah, the wiring is sloppy. I will be rewiring this soon. Goop works well, though. My first timer broke, but OEX replaced it, no problem. I think maybe I didn't have it sealed well enough. I gooped up the wire side and put electronics grease on the cap: should be good now.

I bought the Hobie drain to save time, but it turns out that I had to file out the ID of the collar. The tube didn't fit. Better to just buy a bulkhead fitting and 3/4" PVC tube.

Outside view. It does slide up and down to adjust the tank level.

Yeah, it's just a cheap 5 gallon diesel tank. It's sturdy, though. The spout cap really is useful for draining the tank. You really want a large drain. A little fill cap like the kind on a squirt gun won't cut-it when your ling coughs up an octopus or something worse.

One last thing: IMO Hobie kayaks are the best. I've owned 3 and would buy another.

Last edited by yaksailor; 06-14-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
cjthomas

where did you get the locking tupperware?? I need one and I can't find them anywhere!
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjthomas View Post
where did you get the locking tupperware?? I need one and I can't find them anywhere!
My GF bought a whole set of them from Costco and I've seen them at Target too.
Dunegoat is offline   Reply With Quote