Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
skiffman

L.J. 10/21/05 p.m.

Launched late @ 12:30 with the breeeeze just starting to build. Water 64-65 with 20+ visability. It was pretty windy and bumpy on the way out so I hooked it inside to fish Calicos. Caught 6 and then saw the birds working outside so I banged it out there. Lots of bait puddling around and birds crashing but no large boils. I was throwing a Fish Trap on 15lb when I get bit. Reel down, feels good, nice quality bass I think. When it came tight and the fish realized it was was hooked it smoked me big time and never stopped. I chased it down and got on top but it was over. Lot's of heartbreak going on lately. I feel your pain Nelz, Andy, and Brad. Still some life out on the L.J. pond. It's not over yet. Ken was on his way out when I hit the beach @ 4:30. We'll see what kind of tale he has for this evening. Kelvin
Old 10-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
Spinal Tap

I guess that was Ken out there with a headlamp. I went out to look at the conditions at LJ to see if it was divable, and I saw a guy in a kayak with a headlamp on. He was near the edge of the reserve. I wonder if it was Ken.

I scrapped the dave because I don't like going in at night with such a low tide. I'm a wuss.

Nate
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Good to see ya Kelvin, loved your story!

Hit the PM late. I planned to do some fishing and then hoop for bugs until 8:30 or so. The wind wasn’t too bad and it laid down after the sun went down. The swell was less then one foot.

I saved four macs in my bait tank (from Thursdays adventure). Man those get nasty quick!

Made some more bait at the reserve buoy. It was getting too late to fish so I headed towards the point.

I hooked up with two kayakers, Jeff and Eric. Jeff has hooped a few times this season and was a big help.

I dropped my first hoop, When I returned 15 minutes later both greenbacks were completely gone except for their skulls.

Those bugs are voracious feeders.

Ended up the evening with two shorts. Great time! Fast paced and very exciting.

I plan on using salmon heads next time, the are very durable (thanks Jeff).

Landed a little before 9:00. Pulled off a Madscientist sideways landing on a rogue two footer.

Hasta manana pinche pescadores,

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:12 AM   #4
PlasticSkipper

I went out just before Ken, good seeing you. Hoping to get bait and something tastey North of the pier but didn't get either. Saw one boil of bait but they were not biting. Trolled a rapala around the reserve and then cast for bass at the edge of the kelp. Got a good tug on a plastic lure, then a too-friendly seal pup started hanging around and playing with my drift chute, had to pull it in when I saw he was sticking his head inside, afraid he would flip me. Would you guys stop feeding him? No love from the fish and I paddled back in the dark. Started metering lots of fish as I crossed into the reserve. Water was 65 degrees. Dave
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
Brad Wells
Junior

Ken, I was on my way to join you at 4:15 when my wife called. Her truck won't go in reverse. Looks like I have an expensive date with a transmisssion shop. Are yo going for bugs again tonight?
Brad Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
jefkawst

Yo Ken,

Nice meeting you out there. After our underwater recon, we decided to drop hoops regardless of what our human fishfinder found....

But throughout the night I did manage 2 legals to go with dinner as well..

Hope to see you out there next friday, fully loaded with salmon heads.

Jeff

jefkawst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Brad, I'll be out there armed with salmon this time.

Ken
Old 10-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
madscientist

I've got the bait if you have the hoops. Got several carcasses in my freezer and would love to go out bugging with anyone that knows what they are doing and can spare a net or two. I'll be happy to go home with one or two and will supply all the bait needed. Gotta nice fresh rack that looks like bugs would go nuts for. :shock:
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Ripps

buggin'

Ken,

thanks for the advice and the website ref's - you'll prob see this rookie out more often.. my diver buddy was able to locate some good areas and picked up a few legals.. he was gunna give'em to us but we had separated for the evening. he ended up throwing 'em back cuz he didnt have a license.

came out skunked this time but will also go back to using salmon heads. LESSSON #1: "if it aint broken, don't fix it" - (had much better luck hoopin last week with the salmon heads)

ps- ken, what was the name of that carbon fiber paddle you had?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Eric, I used the salmon heads this evening and picked up two legals and threw back 10 shorts.

The paddle is an Onno.

See you out there and good luck,

Ken