Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #301
OutdoorAdvntr

i like the idea of front pole holder extender... i will try to make one but not for the pole but for camera mount extending towards the front to have a wide angle shot... i will use the concept... thanks for sharing!
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #302
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorAdvntr View Post
i like the idea of front pole holder extender... i will try to make one but not for the pole but for camera mount extending towards the front to have a wide angle shot... i will use the concept... thanks for sharing!
Thanks! If you are following the concept, I believe I cut the arms at 15 degrees, and 4 inches in length. The backbone is 25 inches, with the first arm epoxied at the 24 inch mark, with 4 inch intervals. Start from the bottom up, that way the top has a slightly larger area for you to wall mount vs the bottom (see pictures in first post). I used drywall anchors, long screws, and a washer to keep the carbon fiber from caving in at the screw head.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #303
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

whats that rear hatch on the pro angler for anyways?

rigged it up to hold one of my batteries. since the front hatch seems to hold water, I'm in the progress of fixing that, i figured this would be the best way to insure a dry battery and terminals. i just slit holes for the wire and epoxied it in place.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #304
skrilla

Just making a contribution to this awesome thread.

Original post here with a review.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=15546

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
And here's how I did it.

Ordered one of these. It's under $10 shipped and I got it in less than a week.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Spotter.html

I did some research on it and saw it got good reviews. Waterproof, built nice, and did I say under 10 bucks?

Comes with some cool colored lenses you can switch out. Since I'm using this to fulfill my lighting requirement for the yak, I opted to leave them out.

Here's what the shine of 5 LED bulbs look like with a fresh set of batteries I had lying around. No diffuser cone. Not bad, but it's no Las Vegas either.

And here it is with the cone.

The body fit into a 1" PVC pipe left over from my homemade cart project. I drilled a hole into it, pulled the lanyard through, and wrapped it around snug. Boom instant light pole!

Well, not quite. Wanted to add some bling. I grabbed some extra reflective tape that I've been marking my floats with. Just a minor enhancement for some added safety.

And when I thought I was done I wasn't. I whipped up this turkshead in non other than lobster red. Left a little tag end and made a loop so I can add a leash to it. Didn't want my precious new project to fall over without a little insurance.

And here it is. Straight and to the point, nothing fancy. No DSLR pics and post editing to dramatize it's appearance. Just a simple 10 dollar project I thought I'd share. Hope you enjoyed.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #305
NEEFFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
Just making a contribution to this awesome thread.

Original post here with a review.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=15546
sweet deal, Just ordered mine
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #306
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1983 View Post
I recently added a new seat to my kayak. It consists of a Bass Pro folding boat seat with a boat seat swivel. Then I put a Wise Quick connect boat seat mount on the kayak.

materials used-
Bass Pro Folding boat seat-24.99
Bass Pro Boat seat swivel- 9.99
Wise Quick Connect Boat seat mount 20.99
screws/bolt/washers- like $15 (had to go back and get longer bolts)
scrap wood
tube of Marine Goop

Screws/bolts/washers were
1/4 in by 5 in X 4
1/4 in by 3 in X 4
1/4 in bolts X 8
washers X 24

Ok now to how it all went together-

I cut the scrap wood to fit the match the Wise Quick connect. Then drilled the holes to mount the quick connect to the wood. I used the wood with holes drilled as a guide and drilled the holes into the kayak. once this was done I placed the wood block and Quick connect together and used over 3/4 of the Marine Goop on the bottom of the wood and placed the weather stripping around the edges of the wood. then bolted it all in to where the seat would go.

On the top of the Wise quick connect I had to unscrew the top lip and place washers under the piece of metal to allow the base for the seat to slip in.

I drilled out the holes in the seat to connect the seat to the swivel base to allow for a better hold (the screws that come with the seat seem weak to me) For the Stealth 14 because of the bait tank hatch I had to cut out a little bit of the front center of the seat to beable to open the hatch.

Then put it all together and here is the end result. I used a Drimal tool to sand down all the edges that were still touching the kayak and causing friction.(pretty much just the back of the folding seat and the back corners on the bottom.

I took it out to Dana Point last weekend to test it out. The seat didn'e really change the center of Gravity. It felt the same as before I installed the seat as far as stability goes. I caught a 18 lb Halibut and never felt that I was going to tip over.

Another good thing i found is by Installing the seat this way it creates a space below the seat for more storage. My Nalgene bottle will fit under the seat perfectly.

Hope this helps those that had questions and feel free to ask all the questions you want. Next project is a trolling motor and I WILL be asking lots of Questions. My Goal is to make this stealth 14 better than a Pro Angler!!
Nice design, how did it work out? Do you feel a change in the center of gravity or feel unstable? I want to do mine like that but with a spare boat seat, idk how it will affect paddling though i might be sitting to high.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #307
guamboas

This is all I have done so far

http://youtu.be/KkKQCx3Z--Y
guamboas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #308
jorluivil

WHERE'S THAT BUNGEE!!??

Ive been out a few times and have come close to or have actually forgotten the bungee cord for my kayak cart wheels. I have the larger wheeled and YES I know they're big but its nice to have them available as soon as you land. Anyway, since Hobie makes those plastic removable nuts I decided to come up with a permanent solution to my problem.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #309
Salty Dog
loves bacon

ACME RSRDT 3000 (Rockfish Safe Release Descension tool)

2 years of research and development
This is for all you cheap bastards that don't want to pay for a real one

Features
All plastic construction: it's lightweight and won't rust.
Glows in the dark: Acts as a night light so that those little frys you're sending back down into the dark abyss won't get scared.
Floats: You will never lose it
Multi Purpose: flip it upside down and it can be used as a lip gripper

Instructions
1. Clip the lever end to your line
2. Clamp it on to bottom lip of fish and send it down
3. Pull on rod a few times and clamp will release
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACME_rockfish_release004.jpg (32.2 KB, 1415 views)
File Type: jpg ACME_rockfish_release003.jpg (31.5 KB, 1403 views)
File Type: jpg ACME_rockfish_release005.jpg (31.2 KB, 1404 views)
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #310
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post

Features
Glows in the dark: Acts as a night light so that those little frys you're sending back down into the dark abyss won't get scared.

Instructions

Holy crap T!!! That's fricken awesome!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #311
sasha

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Some of the best ideas are the simple ones.. Thats the best one yet
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #312
StinkyMatt

Soo simple...it's frickin genius!

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #313
Salty Dog
loves bacon

Thanks for the compliments!

If you want to be an ultralight freak and drill small holes into all your gear like me....use brad point drill bits. It makes clean holes and won't tear through or crack any types of plastic or PVC.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #314
JKay
Junior

Rolling Rack Project

OK, I've been shamelessly stealing some of these great ideas from some of you sharp West Coast guys. Time for me to try to contribute something.

Here's a rolling rack project that I did about three years ago and posted on a few other sites. Some changes that I've made since then:

I made slings for all three bunks. I keep a Revo, Kaskazi DII and Ocean Kayak P-13 on this rack. All three kayaks are kept hull down in the slings. I know some folks advised hull up on the bunks, but I've never had a single issue with oil canning and it's much more convenient this way. Anyone hanging a kayak from a hoist would have a similar arrangement. The other boats are relegated to an A-frame rack on the side yard.

Here's a day project that might help free up some floor space in the garage. Good for burning a snowy day! We have a single car garage and were constantly stumbling over both the kayaks. I didn't really want to store them outside; we live in NJ...I didn't want these kayaks boosted

I wanted a rack that could hold up to 3 kayaks, but be able to get them all out of the way if needed. I found some other similar designs on the web, but adapted some of the better features to make something that would work best for me. A trip to the Home Depot got me the wood, hardware and misc supplies needed.

Overall outside dimensions are 72" x 39". The inside width dimensions were dictated by the fattest boat (OK Malibu 2XL).

I wanted to be able to slide the kayaks onto the crosspieces or bunks, so I used black foam pipe insulation and covered them with indoor/outdoor carpet. I wrapped the carpet around the top and sides and secured it to the bottom of the 2x4's with staples all the way across. You'll need a staple gun for this.

The OK sits directly on the bunks. I don't really worry about creating permanent dents in the bottom of this boat. They're built like tanks and because of the bottom design, not likely to get damaged. I was a little more concerned about storing the Revo in the same fashion. I decided to create a sling. I bought some 4" wide winch strap material from online. I doubled over the material on the one side and screwed it to the 2x4 using fender washers and screws. You can easily poke holes in the material using a pencil soldering iron. On the other side I installed a d-ring and secured it using a small bolt, nut and lock washer. This side gets hung on the hooks. When I want to use the boat, I unhook both D-rings from the hooks, ease the boat onto the bunks, and slide the Revo out.

I used these corner brackets that I picked up at HD to secure all the cross piece bunks to the uprights and horizontal long pieces. They save a bunch of time and worked out pretty well.

I got some heavy duty rolling casters from Harbor Freight. I made sure that they had real ball bearings and could handle quite a bit of weight. I screwed in short pieces of 2x4's to the bottom so that I could get some long screws into the bottom to mount the wheels on.

I've had the rack in use for several months and it's working out great for us. When I want to get something off the shelf in back of it, it's fairly easy to roll it out of the way. I can roll it right out into the driveway if I want to clean the garage. Make sure that you have some wheel chocks ready. You don't want to be chasing your rack and yaks down the driveway.

Sorry for the varying size of the pictures. Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the first shot the same size as some of the others.
JKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #315
DanaPT

nice rack. Any pictures of fish?

In all seriousness hope all is going well for you and your neighbors.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #316
SABA

How about a solar Battery charger straped to the deck!! So we can keep charged our 12 volt for longer trips. Also you I phone users to. My girl saw this at Cost Co and wants to use it.

http://www.goalzero.com/

Maybe it will help Cheers Saba
SABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #317
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABA View Post
How about a solar Battery charger straped to the deck!! So we can keep charged our 12 volt for longer trips. Also you I phone users to. My girl saw this at Cost Co and wants to use it.

http://www.goalzero.com/

Maybe it will help Cheers Saba
I have a 30 watt flexible panel intended for RV's that I put on the front hatch of my Scupper Pro for extended Baja trips. It connected direct to the finder/bait tank battery to keep it charged. Havent decided yet if I'll set it up on the new PA though - I went the Aussie way and put in a manual whale pump for the bait tank this time, and can charge the finder battery in the truck when it needs it...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #318
MrPatrick

Whale pump

Please show the whale pump installation. I'm very interested in that.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #319
Redeyejedi

Quote:

Features

Instructions
Brilliant!!
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #320
Pugz
Junior

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments!

If you want to be an ultralight freak and drill small holes into all your gear like me....use brad point drill bits. It makes clean holes and won't tear through or crack any types of plastic or PVC.
Simple design I like it.

In the downhill mountain bike race scene we call these speed holes.
Pugz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas