Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #21
blitzburgh

Nice write-up and critters Tony!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #22
SoCalCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
BS! I need to get me one of these 180s then! I can't imagine the speed you will gain on a revo. 10kts just might be a possibility on a revo 16!
This was vs a REVO 13....... not the 16.
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #23
taggermike

So Hobie has been selling "turbo" fin upgrades for years. But these odd looking strait fins are just as fast. And the Hobie kayaks were fine w/o reverse until several competitors came out with reversal peddle drives.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #24
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
So Hobie has been selling "turbo" fin upgrades for years. But these odd looking strait fins are just as fast. And the Hobie kayaks were fine w/o reverse until several competitors came out with reversal peddle drives.
Mike
You obviously don't fish because if you did then you would see many reasons to use reverse like if the wind is pushing you towards weeds or a rock or dock. Before you would have to get the paddle out- now you just flip it in reverse. There's so many incidences where reverse is very helpful. If you have the wind at your back and you want to do a slow drift or stay in one spot- REVERSE
I use it all the time, I like it
ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #25
GTboosted

I get his point though.

It is almost like Apple. They are leaders in their market and are obviously aware of all advancements. But they need to keep changes small so every year they have something to entice buyers to upgrade. Everyone has been asking for reverse and a skeg for years. Why did they add them in separate years?

I am happy to have got into it with reverse and vantage seat. More than likely though I will be pissed next year for the 2018 model to have something that they could've added for 2017....
GTboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #26
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
I get his point though.

It is almost like Apple. They are leaders in their market and are obviously aware of all advancements. But they need to keep changes small so every year they have something to entice buyers to upgrade. Everyone has been asking for reverse and a skeg for years. Why did they add them in separate years?

I am happy to have got into it with reverse and vantage seat. More than likely though I will be pissed next year for the 2018 model to have something that they could've added for 2017....
You don't invent something and throw it on the market the next day. It takes years and years of R&D and then you have to test it over and over before releasing a new product. For instance when you se a new model car- that was 10+ years prior of R&D and testing before it's released. Reverse drive is no different. Takes a lot of time. A bike pedal with a chain or belt drive to a propeller is not rocket science. Mirage drive is a lot more complex and unique.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #27
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejay View Post
You obviously don't fish because if you did then you would see many reasons to use reverse like if the wind is pushing you towards weeds or a rock or dock. Before you would have to get the paddle out- now you just flip it in reverse. There's so many incidences where reverse is very helpful. If you have the wind at your back and you want to do a slow drift or stay in one spot- REVERSE
I use it all the time, I like it
Mikes too nice of a guy to comment back. He's been yak finishing LJ for almost 20 years. The roof on his car is almost completely rusted threw because of the amounts of days he puts int. I been in the riper currents and wind with him. Mikes one of the best guys out there.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #28
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCJ View Post
This was vs a REVO 13....... not the 16.
Right. How much extra speed did the new OB have over the previous year model Revo?
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #29
ful-rac
Emperor

I didn't notice any extra speed on the PA, as compared to the GT drive. Both are pretty smooth...I'll pay more attention on the next trip.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #30
skrilla

Hey you Hobie guys can do J turns now. Cause donuts are sooo 2015.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #31
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
John I enjoy casting top water plugs at the boulders and cliffs in Gonzaga. I point my bow at the beach and cast as tight to shore as I can. Cabrilla and snappers sometimes explode on the plugs, corvina too. Being in reverse and ready MIGHT help getting these fish out of their holes. The panga drivers peform this move every day, so it might help me get that bigger cabrilla that keeps stealing my top water plugs. Besides I needed a spare drive as a back up. Hopefull win, win.
Thanks Bob-
I get it now...having the option to go in reverse makes sense.
I can see the benefits.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #32
paddle man

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

O.K. GUYS HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFOR THE NEW DRIVE
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #33
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle man View Post
O.K. GUYS HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFOR THE NEW DRIVE
RETAIL should be about $750.00 YOU did change that name to PEDDLE MAN right?????

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #34
paddle man

[QUOTE=makobob;270756]RETAIL should be about $750.00 YOU did change that name to PEDDLE MAN right?????[/QUOT

NOT YET BUT WILL THANKS BOB FOR PRICEING
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #35
monstahfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejay View Post
You don't invent something and throw it on the market the next day. It takes years and years of R&D and then you have to test it over and over before releasing a new product. For instance when you se a new model car- that was 10+ years prior of R&D and testing before it's released. Reverse drive is no different. Takes a lot of time. A bike pedal with a chain or belt drive to a propeller is not rocket science. Mirage drive is a lot more complex and unique.
I'm an industrial designer and he is correct. Companies are not holding back on things to screw the customer, it's a matter of development time and resource implementation. For example building an injection molding tool of moderate complexity takes about 6-10 weeks, followed by sampling usually 2 weeks to dial the tool in, followed by any needed redesign a week usually, then tooling rework 2-4 weeks then at least 6 months of field, UV, cycle and materials testing each of which can yield another design change and start the whole cycle over again. Then you have to schedule production and assemble. Now imagine this for every single new component of any product and things can still fail in unusual usage or with poor maintenance. Then the current and old products have to be serviced and maintained by the engineering team so they don't have as much time to develop new product.
Just a quick glimpse into how it works and that doesn't even include the concept, design, prototype and approval phases which can be significantly longer than the build phase.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #36
TJones

does not justify the price .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBentRod View Post
Nice Lobsters!
if you ain't catching. . don't worry Stan, we gonna turn these Sewer boys inside out this weekend. ..
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #37
TJones

good share Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Mr No BS great, thorough review!

always exceptions for special customers.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #38
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
DREAM BIG, then go out and make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
if you ain't catching. . don't worry Stan, we gonna turn these Sewer boys inside out this weekend. ..

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #39
TJones

Amen

. one day i will catch a 65 lb tanker, but since it has been awhile since the sweet white flesh has rolled off my tongue, a barely legal will be sufficient. this weekend i am gonna make it happen.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #40
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
Mikes too nice of a guy to comment back. He's been yak finishing LJ for almost 20 years. The roof on his car is almost completely rusted threw because of the amounts of days he puts int. I been in the riper currents and wind with him. Mikes one of the best guys out there.
So 20 years of kayak fishing and he has never needed to back up? lol I've only been kayak fishing for 2 weeks and I already saw the need right away. It just seemed an arrogant response from him..... at least that's how I read it.