Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
MrM

I caught 8.... at NPH

Macks.

Seriously. From the looks of it, no one else was catching much either. They were dredging in NPH, and there was so much debris floating in the water... and sunk on the bottom. I could not keep my lines clean. Stay away from here for a day or two (or three...) before trying it out, every time you pull up in the harbor you will only have weeds.

Back to the macks.... If anyone ever needs bait, don't go to the barge. Just go to the mouth of the harbor between 40-70 ft deep, and sabiki up! I have had nothing but success making bait here. Schools of fish go by every 5-10 minutes it seems.

Otherwise, the harbor sucked today. Saw a dead seal floating in the mouth. Nice weather though! Going to have to start fishing DP here soon...
Old 08-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
DanaPT

dana was slow for me on weds.

not a single bite.

saw anchovie and some birds dive here and there but that's it.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
socal_matt
Cruisin'

thats good news for me, since tomorrow I'm going for some threshers outside of NPH.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Yeah, Dana sucked for us on Monday too. Worst fishing I've had there in a long while. 3 fish for 6hrs.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
PE.rider

Thanks for the report. I've been swamped with work, so I haven't been out since the day after Independence Day. It was much cooler then, and the dredging was closer to the fork in NPH where you are a stone's throw away from the Pacific Coast Highway bridge.

The only thing I caught that day was a small octopus, and a cold .

It seems that both mid and south OC county locations aren't yielding as much action as La Jolla. Bummer.

BTW, did the seal look like it was attacked, or perhaps died of sickness, disease? I always see headless or chomped-torso seals floating on the beaches in nearby Balboa Pier. I know there are always seals near the bait barge and the buoy at the mouth of the harbor, but wondering if those GWS sightings down in LJ may be visiting NPH.

If so, time to bring the stake-pole...

Thanks again for the report. Hope your next outing is more productive given the warmer temperatures.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

damn that sucks!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE.rider View Post
BTW, did the seal look like it was attacked, or perhaps died of sickness, disease? I always see headless or chomped-torso seals floating on the beaches in nearby Balboa Pier. I know there are always seals near the bait barge and the buoy at the mouth of the harbor, but wondering if those GWS sightings down in LJ may be visiting NPH.
I couldn't tell. I took a picture, but my phone didn't save it for some reason... I honestly thought it was a pillow at first. It was almost completely white, and smelled like it had been dead for a few days. The side that was visible looked like it was untouched.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
yotasan

headless seal dana point

Name:  headless seal.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  51.7 KB