Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Heisenberg
Junior

Fish Finder Recommendation

I just wanted to get a some rec's on a fish finder. I am going to pull the trigger on the Hobie Outback and wondered what everyone is using.

Thanks in advance!
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
GTboosted

I have Lowrance Elite HDI 5" that I bought 5 years ago and it's still working. Dunked it plenty of times and it hasnt died. I do have dielectric grease on the connections.

I see people bashing Lowrance all the time but I wonder if we see more complaints just because they sell more? Or what if the current quality does suck?

I'm getting the new TI2 7" and hope it lasts me at least as long as the HDI.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #3
aznative96
Newbie to plastic boats

kayak fish finders

I have used both a Hook7 (not a Hook2 7) and I'm currently running a Garmin 44CV. I like the Lowrance better for downscan and GPS. 7" screen is much nicer than the 4.5 of the Garmin but sometimes gets in the way on the yak. The Garmin is easier to use and does have GPS and downscan just not quite as nice as the Lowrance. For reference I have a Big Game 2 and mainly fish the leeward coast of Oahu.

I would really like to have a 5 Elite TI.

Aloha

aznative96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:11 AM   #4
Quansters
Junior

The Echomap Plus 44cv with US blue coastal G2 map is on sale for $200 at hodgemarine and some other places. I plan to return my striker plus 4 that just came in the mail for that. Is that a good idea? Sure, Garmin is transitioning to G3 but I'm sure G2 map is good enough for my need. I can always overlay with quickdraw contour if there's any inconsistency in the map's contour. How much can ocean chart can change over a few years? $60 extra for clearvu(downimage) AND preload saltwater chart + micro SD slot seems too good to pass up.
Quansters is offline   Reply With Quote