Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
Johnny Hirn

Help Removing Transducer

Hello everyone.
I have decided to move my transducer to a scupper mount over the current goop mount that i have now based off of what I have heard about clarity and accuracy. One problem though, I cannot get the transducer off. It is just pushed into marine goop inside my kayak, but I could not for the life of me get it off. An advice? Has anyone had this problem before?
Tight lines,
Johnny
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
DanaPT

I haven't done this before but I would surgically remove with a razor blade. Go slow and easy all the way around. Silicon vs plastic.... should cut easy.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
FISH11

I removed one before to remount it outside in the water. I very carefully used a sharp and pointed knife (Buck or some similar heavier blade knife) to start to get under the edges of the goop and the hull. Once I was able to get under the goop and lift up on it, it started separating form the hull and a had to break off and scrape what was on the transducer. Be real careful to not poke a hole in the hull, the knife has to be held flat against the hull and only attempt to start under the goop edges. After the goop starts to separate switch to using a wide flat screw driver and slide it under and the twist side to side. Might even try first to push on the outside of the hull were the transducer is mounted to flex the hull material at the area of the goop, to help start to separate the two. Good luck
Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Use a pry bar and hammer, I have taken off a few, never damaged the kayak.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-1...B-15/202183846
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

flat head screw driver and a pair of pliers, once you get a corner of the goop up it comes off pretty easily
Old 09-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I haven't done this before but I would surgically remove with a razor blade. Go slow and easy all the way around. Silicon vs plastic.... should cut easy.
exactly what i did
Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Johnny Hirn

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try these out as soon as i can.
Tight lines,
Johnny
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Johnny Hirn

Thanks again everyone. After some time of using the only razor blade I had (which was unfortuanlty not that razor sharp) and a chisel, i safely removed the transducer without a scratch on either the kayak or the transducer. Once I got it off i discovered that my goop had multiple large bubbles under the traducer, so now I am very excited to see how clear it is now.
Thanks!
Johnny
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Dirty Curti

Please report what difference of clarity that you get with the mount on the outside vs inside hull.

I have been pondering moving my transducer outside somehow. I really like the inside mount as it is so clean having everything (wires, battery) in the hull vs outside.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
Johnny Hirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Please report what difference of clarity that you get with the mount on the outside vs inside hull.

I have been pondering moving my transducer outside somehow. I really like the inside mount as it is so clean having everything (wires, battery) in the hull vs outside.
I am not sure how soon I will be getting out, but I will definetly report when I do. I had the same dilemma as you so hopefully it pays off.
Tight lines
Johnny