Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
Nic D

Id really like to be there, however Im flying to the East Cape on the 20th
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
bluesquids

Can't wait. More fun than a Barrel o' Monkeys.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #23
jbm

I'd like to come. Can someone explain in a little more detail what is involved? Does it require a whole day of being there? I've got kids, work, other commitments; but if someone can give me a better idea of what to expect, I'll make all the arrangements I can to come support a science based sustainability approach over the "hug the fishies" mindset.
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
Matt
Support your local pangas

Yep I'll be there
Old 10-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
PAL

Quote:
I'd like to come. Can someone explain in a little more detail what is involved? Does it require a whole day of being there? I've got kids, work, other commitments; but if someone can give me a better idea of what to expect, I'll make all the arrangements I can to come support a science based sustainability approach over the "hug the fishies" mindset.
These questions will be much easier to answer once the Commission gets around to publishing an agenda. Until then some of this is guesswork.

The short answer is yes, you can still help even if you can't come for the entire meeting. Everyone who comes should come early and fill out a speaker card - even if you don't want to speak! You can cede your time to others. When you consider it can take 10 cards to get an extra minute, you'll see how everyone is needed.

This is a bit too much "Inside Baseball" - I can't help it after sitting through so many meetings.

Please have faith - we'll have the info you need soon.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Not to reiterate Paul's post, he is absolutley correct that we need everyone to do all that they can, whether they can attend or not.

If you are able to attend, expect alot of comraderie and support, and feel free to ask any questions you may have to get a better idea of what is going on...I'll refrain from elaborating on that further...

If you do plan to attend, I would consider planning to stay the entire day, usually they have the 'extensive public input' part at the end. At least that's how most of the meetings have been; mind you, this is after the BRTF announces what the detailed agenda will be for either that evening, or the next day, usually followed by one of the task force asking if they wouldn't mind repeating everything that was just said since they couldn't seem to comprehend it all...I personally think that is just a stall tactic to waste more time in order to cut short the 'extensive public input' session...but I digress.

Hopefully this meeting will be much more than smoke and mirrors, and all involved, including the DFG, will actually realize what is exactly at stake.

You sign up in the morning for your speaker card and have to have them turned in at a certain time. If you are uncomfortable, or semi-uncomfortable speaking in front of large groups, or don't know exactly what to say, not a prob, it is best to cede your speaking time to somebody else. They will do their best to convey the points you would like them to touch on.

Usually those who have never attended any of these meetings end up staying for the duration and leave with more knowledge of the entire process, more than what one could actually read about, better yet, fathom.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
newguy01

COUNT ME IN

SEE YOU THERE MATT
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #28
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

October 20-21, 2010
Four Points by Sheraton

8110 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA

ROLL CALL!!!!

1. Chris
2. dmrides
3. deepdvr
4. dsafety
5. AQUATICHUNTER
6. SteveOOO
7. Dgax65
8. cowboybill
9. Fishionado
10. Old Rookie
11. PAL
12. Joe Beck
13. Kurt
14.Cabojohn
15. The Kid
16. CurtyL
17. Bluesquids
18. jbm
19. Matt
20. Tman
21. Clay
22. newguy01
23. ???????
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #29
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
October 20-21, 2010
Four Points by Sheraton

8110 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA

ROLL CALL!!!!

1. Chris
2. dmrides
3. deepdvr
4. dsafety
5. AQUATICHUNTER
6. SteveOOO
7. Dgax65
8. cowboybill
9. Fishionado
10. Old Rookie
11. PAL
12. Joe Beck
13. Kurt
14.Cabojohn
15. The Kid
16. CurtyL
17. Bluesquids
18. jbm
19. Matt
20. Tman
21. Clay
22. newguy01
23. ???????
In

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #30
Corey

I'll be there and will try to bring some others that are not online.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #31
Ohana

I am planning on being there. Anyone from southern Orange County going so we can carpool down there?

I will also post this meeting notice on some other forums I am a member of to see if we can get some people from these groups to participate.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #32
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

I'm in. What color shirts are we wearing?

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #33
FISHIONADO

Bump. Now is the time to step up.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #34
zenspearo

The Waterman's Alliance will be on hand to give out t-shirt to all conservation-fisherman attendees and with pizza/drinks for everyone.

The spearos are taking care of those details as a gesture of appreciation to the wider conservation fishing community (and especially to the kayakfishermen who have led the charge most of the way).

The speaking points are being worked on and should be ready in a week, in plenty of time for the meeting.

Let's do this critical meeting in style!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #35
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post
The Waterman's Alliance will be on hand to give out t-shirt to all conservation-fisherman attendees and with pizza/drinks for everyone.

The spearos are taking care of those details as a gesture of appreciation to the wider conservation fishing community (and especially to the kayakfishermen who have led the charge most of the way).

The speaking points are being worked on and should be ready in a week, in plenty of time for the meeting.

Let's do this critical meeting in style!
Very cool, hope to buy you guys a beer after we take care of business.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #36
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

October 20-21, 2010
Four Points by Sheraton
8110 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA

ROLL CALL!!!!

1. Chris
2. dmrides
3. deepdvr
4. dsafety
5. AQUATICHUNTER
6. SteveOOO
7. Dgax65
8. cowboybill
9. Fishionado
10. Old Rookie
11. PAL
12. Joe Beck
13. Kurt
14.Cabojohn
15. The Kid
16. CurtyL
17. Bluesquids
18. jbm
19. Matt
20. Tman
21. Clay
22. newguy01
23. WahooUSMA
24. Corey
25. Ohana
26. zinkysd
27. roadx
28. Tyler
29. Dan
30. ???????

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 10-06-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #37
PAL

The list is looking better.

We still have a long way to go.

If they aren't on this list, reach out to your other friends and ask them nicely to attend. If they don't get it, twist their arms and break out the peer pressure.

A hard core of kayak anglers and divers battled hard to hang onto ANY piece of La Jolla. The fight's not over. Rally up!

For those just coming into this thing, we need you! If you love kayak fishing, it's time to do your part.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #38
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
The list is looking better.

We still have a long way to go.

If they aren't on this list, reach out to your other friends and ask them nicely to attend. If they don't get it, twist their arms and break out the peer pressure.

A hard core of kayak anglers and divers battled hard to hang onto ANY piece of La Jolla. The fight's not over. Rally up!

For those just coming into this thing, we need you! If you love kayak fishing, it's time to do your part.
Paul is exactly right. This 11th hour firing of neutral Commissioner Sutsos a week ago (Sept. 28) and the substitute appointment of a Heal-the-Bay (affectionately known to many fishermen as "Steal the Bay") board member (Bayliss) as a Commissioner mirrors a move made earlier in the North Central Coast process when Benninghoven was appointed at the 11th hour to deliver the vote that devastated that region for fishermen.

The same treachery is about to happen again in SoCal.

We can expect the Fish and Game Commission meeting on Oct. 20-21st to be decidedly tilted in favor of the closure crowd with this newly created 3-2 pro-closure majority. They will decide on YOUR map, your area where you kayakfish.

As before with the SAT and BRTF, corruption can only be checked to some degree by public participation, outcry, and scrutiny.

Expect the pro-closure crowd to push for more closures and to shut you out of more of your kayakfishing areas. It's not a done deal and they are seeing an opening to take away more at this latest turn with a pro-closure FG Commission.

http://bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=8447

If the pro-closure side gets their way, most of the kayakfishing areas in La Jolla, PV, Malibu, Catalina will also be gone. We will also not have a chance to address the egregious closure shape (which makes zero logical sense except to lock out shore fishing access and launching) at Laguna.

We need you there Oct. 20/21 at the San Diego FG&C meeting. We didn't think we would as badly this late in the process but the latest political maneuver at the 11th hour to stack the voting against us has made this meeting more critical than ever.

Without you, the closure crowd will have unchecked opportunities to push for closing all of the kayakfishing areas (kayakfishermen and divers are the most vulnerable in this process since our paddling/diving areas are a tiny sliver of the CA coast, and nearly all of them are targeted).

This is why you see guys frantically calling for your help. Without you on Oct. 20/21, all the earlier hard work will be for naught.

Dig deep kayakfishermen. This is the last meeting that the maps will be created/dissected/discussed for the SoCal MLPA process. Be there.

Note: Our joint communities have speaking points. We have speakers. But we need people to show up to cede time too. You being there ceding time so our side can have a chance to make their point for kayakfishing access will mean all the difference.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #39
C. Cary

Count me in
Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #40
dfroggy54
Rolly

I will be there.