Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Matar
I am just me.

PA12 or 14

It's about time to upgrade.
So let's hear it, PA 12 or 14 what one is better for the $100 difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I would say the 14.

Cause' if your gonna get a PA, get a PA.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I would say the 14.

Cause' if your gonna get a PA, get a PA.
I agree with Tony. Not that I don't love my 12 but I really do miss my 14 and will be going back to the 14 this year.

My biggest reason is the incredible amount of extra stability gained in the 14. I've got decent balance. I'm 6'-2" and I can stand up in my 12...but in my 14, I could stand and turn in multiple locations.

Also, there is very little difference, weight-wise, between the two. Mabe you would notice if you were car-topping it but barely. Just my 2 cents

Good luck
Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
jorluivil

I've never owned the 12 but I do own the 14. I've seen the 12 and have talked to quite a few that own or owned the 12 and most of them regret not getting the 14. The 14 is a beast, it weighs almost twice as much as the outback, it'll strain your back and make you regret buying one each time you have to load it on your car/truck. However, when you see how fast this beast is and how much deck space you have you'll be glad you bought the 14. I was able to place a 45lb wsb on the deck of my 14 and not one kayaker was able to see it, some were as close as 30'.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Dannowar

Loved my 14 when I had it
Old 07-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
RookieYakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Mabye you would notice if you were car-topping it but barely
I went from an older 14 to a newer 12 for this exact reason, and love it! I'm pretty sure Fastlane will let you demo both of them to help you decide!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I've never owned the 12 but I do own the 14. I've seen the 12 and have talked to quite a few that own or owned the 12 and most of them regret not getting the 14. The 14 is a beast, it weighs almost twice as much as the outback, it'll strain your back and make you regret buying one each time you have to load it on your car/truck. However, when you see how fast this beast is and how much deck space you have you'll be glad you bought the 14. I was able to place a 45lb wsb on the deck of my 14 and not one kayaker was able to see it, some were as close as 30'.
I owned a PA 14 for a whole season, then the new vantage seat came out for the 12', and I instantly downgraded emphaticially. The two biggest noticable differences off the top of my head..

A. Noticable storage size reduction in front hatch.
I.E. Look at their storage tubs side by side.. Not a deal breaker to me at all,but an obvious detail. Storage & Gunnels are almost the same, and as Jorge already mentioned, I can double stack and peddle in without a double take from the inspectors & I own a 12'.

B. When coming back in on big 3-4'+ firing sets you will begin to notice the larger volume of plastic the 14' has and will send you down the line up..Some counter this by coming in backwards on those big days..

I personally love the 12', it tracks great, I use it In/Offshore, Fresh, Salt, and is my main #1 kayak for any adventure 365. The 12's stability is excellent. Topping it and hauling it is made slightly solo easier with the twelve & I can still carry a full load fishing gear & traps. Mostly it come down to loading and the slip..
If you have ample storage room then maybe the 14 is the one for you..
Try before you buy..Give Rik a call at Oceanside Dive & Kayak to set up a demo.. & Bring a pole!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
PapaDave

PA14. If you're gonna go, go big.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
TJones

Great post

Especially when you get input from guys like wade . I Was pondering if I should have grabbed a 14 , but after hearing first hand from a person who has compiled numerous hours on both , I will stay where I am at . Pa 12 .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
flemdogg
Island Blood

I've had both. Older PA 14, and now a PA 12.

Just like everyone else is saying, the PA 14 has a little bit more room. You won't really feel any weight difference between the two. Either way you wont find a better kayak that will carry everything you need and more, is a pain in the ass to load and unload, scare the shit out of you when landing in bigger surf, and yeah help you catch a shit ton of fish more comfortably. I love my PA and so will you no matter which one you go with. And as always, if you can, try before you buy.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Rambo

I say either choice will suit you fine. I own a PA14 and its luxury to have the stability, capability to carry your heart's desire, and load the extra weight on the kayak without feeling much drag or slowness. As everyone stated, the pain comes in when your loading the kayak on your car but its a fair trade to be out in the water with one less worry about stability, comfort, and not having enough room to move around in.

Test what kayak fit what your need and compare transport-ability versus carry load.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
sdmosch

I tried them both... I liked the 14' better(for storage, tracking etc.) and that is what I bought.
sdmosch is offline   Reply With Quote