Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt, 3-3-17

Slept in a little and didn't get to DP until 7:00. I found $5 that I didn't know I had and was able to use the boat ramp. This was good as there was some kind of Woody/SUP event at Baby Beach. Anyways, launched about 7:30 to a cool offshore breeze and clear skies. Water was 57º and change at launch and 60º when I came back in. There was a current break snaking around. Dirty on the inside, clean outside.

Tried the end of the long jetty briefly for nothing, and then headed for the Pipe. Wind wasn't bad for most of the paddle out and then near the Pipe it picked up quite a bit. Wasn't sketchy hard, just enough to be a pain. And shifty enough to be a double pain. Some drifts veered up hill, some down. Made it hard to set up a drift over the Pipe and I found myself missing it too often. But, I was out there and it felt good.

Due to the wind I stuck to a 3/4oz Warblade (sexy dine) and 1oz Warbait (firecracker) with a 6" Zman Swimmerz (calico candy and bad shad). The Warblade was still too light for my liking, but I got a chunky calico about 3lbs right away. Unfortunately, that was it for a while. Got some bites, but was too slow on the hook set. Plus the aforementioned drift issue didn't help as I kept missing the Pipe. Worked my way from 40' out to 50' and then back in to about 35'. In tighter the water was dirty, but I managed 2 more. A barely legal sand bass on a 1/2oz Warblade (the wind had died about 9:30) and a calico that was maybe 2lbs that ate the 3/4oz Warblade.

Headed in about 10:30 as I had to get home to watch the kids. So, a short day, but fun and gave me some much needed time alone with myself.

PS: this was my first time taking the Ride out on open water. It is slower than the Trident 13 for sure, but I really appreciated the added stability. The lack of a wet butt was really nice too. Finally, having a rudder is awesome. Big help in the wind and chop.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
StumpFisher

thanks for the report
maybe I can join you out on DP some day.
StumpFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Landwhale, Harry Hill and I should be hitting it next Thurs or Fri. Join us if you can.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Glad you like your new ride. The Whale Festival is going on this weekend and next so Baby Beach would probably best be avoided for now anyway.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Glad you like your new ride. The Whale Festival is going on this weekend and next so Baby Beach would probably best be avoided for now anyway.
Guess we'll aim for Thursday then. Thanks for the heads up. Not sure what was up down there this morning.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
cris

They were filming a promo for the festival for KTLA as well
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Forgot about the news van. How'd you do?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
cris

I didn't make it out this morning due to work calling. Looked beautiful though.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #9
Amish Ed

Bummer. It definitely got better after 9am. I'm sure it was nicer out on the point though.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
Harry Hill

Glad you got out Ed. Do you think it would have been to rough for my wife's sit in kayak? I'm glad you like the new kayak, as you know I'm looking at the Wilderness Systems Radar which has the same hull design as your Ride I think. I don't like wet butt fishing so the seat is great for me.It looks like you like dry butt fishing also. Did you say we are on for Thursday? Either day is good for me.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Saba Slayer

Thanks

Thanks for the report Ed...I wish I was on the water today... it's been looking beautiful the last couple of days !

THANKS FOR YOUR VOLUNTEER HELP WITH THE CCA CAL...!
Thank you for volunteering on Wednesday morning...it was fun walking around the show handing out signs just before it opened and 'getting in free' is always a bonus...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #12
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Glad you got out Ed. Do you think it would have been to rough for my wife's sit in kayak? I'm glad you like the new kayak, as you know I'm looking at the Wilderness Systems Radar which has the same hull design as your Ride I think. I don't like wet butt fishing so the seat is great for me.It looks like you like dry butt fishing also. Did you say we are on for Thursday? Either day is good for me.
Thursday would be better for me, but i need to check with Steve first. As far as the sit inside, I'm not sure. What is she used to? Only had one breaking wake today.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #13
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Thanks for the report Ed...I wish I was on the water today... it's been looking beautiful the last couple of days !

THANKS FOR YOUR VOLUNTEER HELP WITH THE CCA CAL...!
Thank you for volunteering on Wednesday morning...it was fun walking around the show handing out signs just before it opened and 'getting in free' is always a bonus...!
Thanks, Jim. It was my pleasure. It was good to see you.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #14
Amish Ed

Harry, you may want to have her sit this one out and see for your self what conditions get like out there. Then next time if you think she can handle it, bring her.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 AM   #15
InfidelYak

Outta curiosity, are you letting your jig go to the bottom before yu start the retrieval?
InfidelYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfidelYak View Post
Outta curiosity, are you letting your jig go to the bottom before yu start the retrieval?
On the bottom. If i'm not losing or coming close to losing lead to the pipe i'm probably not catching fish. Thus the issue with not being able to anticipate which direction any given drift would go.