Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Handymansd
Ancient Member

05-04-08

The ultimate fish story of the one that got away...

Launched at 3:00pm for a nasty, cold, rough, windy, paddle with my wingman Darren. I have had many reports of T's to motivate me to keep trying despite the miserable conditions. We paddled until I finally had had enough. At approximately 8:30 pm, as I accepted defeat, yet again, my low mac exploded! My Accurate blew through about 250 yards of line before I could even get it in gear!! I finally stopped the bleeding line and got my FND moving. As I left my wingman behind, despite his trying to catch up I realized that I was actually water skiing in my yak...! probably have a damn sea lion or something. No thresher could do this, right? Just as that thought planted itself in my mind the line went slack, and I desperately tried to wind in line. I came to the conclusion that it was gone whatever it was, as I cranked to my leader at about 15ft from the hook. Suddenly right in front of my wingman Darren, the biggest T I have ever seen launched itself directly in front of my bow. I sat in stunned disbelief as it almost spooled me again before getting it turned around. We continued this fight for almost 40 minutes until I finally had his head in front of my bow and his tail at my right side ready to grab. As Darren and I worked to get the rope out and get situated for the "rodeo", the T decided it had had enough and "pop" just like that it was gone. It Broke the 65# spectra with it's sudden surge and went on his merry way.

After sitting stunned at the whole thing for a few minutes we discussed it's probable size... Any thoughts on approximate weight would be appreciated!

Approximately 24+" across at the dorsal area, maybe 7-9 ft. white on the bottom with a stripe of tan, and the beautiful purple top! A picture I will not soon forget. Sorry no pics for everyone else, I was sort of busy, and Darren had no camera anyway. Maybe next time!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I've been told that braided lines aren't as good at dealing with abrasion then mono/flouro. If that is true you may want to consider using longer leader. Sucks about the fish. At least you got the fight and the ride out of it. No idea about the weight. Is that 7'-9' from nose to tip of the long tail?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Zed
BANNED

9' tip to tail is ~120-150#ish.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
dorado50

Not an answer but a suggestion, anytime you have a fish boatside and ready to gaff or release always loosen drag a notch or so to prevent what just happened to you. Because you had alot of drag to get the fish boatside, once it spooked either a). hook pulls b). line snaps, always loosen drag at boatside to prevent above two actions from not taking place......better luck next time.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
steveooo

Next time for sure
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
wavster

Very cool to hear you at least got the hookup. WTG.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
aguachico

Don't worry about the weight of the shark. Doesn't matter. Great job on getting it to the boat. tsharks range from 60# - 600#. Kill one little one per year and you are in the meat!
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
esdees
The Good Clone

Sounds like a good time. Congrats on the big hookup.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Billy V

I saw you return to the launch on the camera last night. @ 8:30

I was wonder who was out so late in those nasty conditions.
I figured someone must have be ON a big fish to be out so late.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

I'm a big fan of C and R, but...........

I'm a big fan of C and R, but if there ever was a species that is thriveing and in need of being put in check the Thresher Shark (in local waters) is it. I had the oppasite experience of C.J. when I put my surface-iron just past a boil that looked like a #50 Yellowtail. Instant slam, fish on and for a moment it felt like the right kind. Drag ripping off the reel and then straight down for the dog fight. It was obvious after a minute (no tail-beats on the tip) that this wasn't what I had in mind. Just like C.J. my reel that was plenty tight with #30+ Yellowtail was wobbling on my Seeker Ulua and trying to slide forward (I used a Crocadile ring during the up and down battle to tighten the bolt). After thirty minutes she came by the kayak to have a look at me completely green and I almost shit . I've caught many a #50-#90 model and they come right to the boat with little effort and signifigant drag. This was no pup, a definate #200+ model. I noticed she was hooked in the pectoral fin before she sounded again (I have a chance). I was able put her on plane easier and short-pumped her up again using my crotch with a PFD for a gimble (or the 9' 3" stick would have broke my arm). I put a game plan together after multiple circles to get my new favorite-iron back (or I would of cut the line thirty minutes before). This wouldn't of been possible with the X-Factor, but with the new Hobie Mirage system it worked. She kept swimming and pulling hard, but after buttoning down the drag and leadering her with my hands a couple of times while pedaling (hands free fishing fishing) I achieved a previously impossible task. I used the rudder to duplicate the same size circle she kept doing, put the rod in the holder while holding onto the line, and used the pedals to keep my hands just in front of her head (away from the huge tail that had taken a couple of swings already). She seemed to gain confidence that I wasn't trying to kill her and cooperated. She was very strong and that damn tail never stopped, although no longer making attempts to dive down (again cooperating, as she was huge and could of easily ripped the line out of my hands). I knew I had to be quick, before she got pissed with my de-hooking efforts and I was losing light fast. On the third or fourth attempt (while constantly pedaling in a wide circle just ahead) with the gaff I was able to get my iron back (with a destroyed hook). I always laugh when someone tells me a #80 shark pulled them for a mile. I guess with 5LB's of drag this would be possible, but please. In this case it was true, (maybe half a mile) when I had to put extra effort to make it home in the dark. I have a new found respect for these fish and their incredible speed. I have never said this in a post or end of the month submission, but please "go get one". The other fish in the area will thank you and I'm sure your fish karma will go up a notch.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
El Burro Blanco
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I always laugh when someone tells me a #80 shark pulled them for a mile. I guess with 5LB's of drag this would be possible, but please.
Perhaps if they spent more time patting themselves on the back they could fish with more drag.
El Burro Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
lamb

Sorry to hear that Chuck... Sure sounds like some good times while you were on it. Think about it this way - if it was that big, and it was dark, crappy weather and all - I'm sure releasing it would have crossed your mind anyways. I'd settle for that if I was in the same situation.

Now, on the news of the breaking news...

Quote:
...but with the new Hobie Mirage system it worked. She kept swimming and pulling hard, but after buttoning down the drag and leadering her with my hands a couple of times while pedaling (hands free fishing fishing) I achieved a previously impossible task. I used the rudder to duplicate the same size circle she kept doing, put the rod in the holder while holding onto the line, and used the pedals to keep my hands just in front of her head (away from the huge tail that had taken a couple of swings already).
Is congratulations in order Josh, are you on the bike team??

You'd have to have to give your Malibu X a credit for all that big fish it put you on in WCW 07.

Some prostaff deal or self driven decision? Do tell, the mob wants to know...

I have to admit - back when we were fishing Catalina, I kept looking at the guys on Hobies effortlessly passing by my in all that crappy wind and chop...

And before I forget - there is this great guy Nate, who's running an awesome Hobie shop up in Oceanside:

http://www.oeexpress.com/oceanside-store.html

Tell him you heard about it on BWE - Nate will hook you up fo' sho!

And did I mention Hobie kayaks are available at BWE's web store???
Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
THE DARKHORSE

Sorry for offending you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burro Blanco View Post
Perhaps if they spent more time patting themselves on the back they could fish with more drag.
I guess you are one of those people. Maybe, you have nothing better to do and are just happy with the hook-up. I choose to focus my time on the big-three and really don't appreciate the extended fight of relatively small sharks (#50 pups) with light drag (not to mention sucking the life out of your reel's drag system, for what). I don't think using more drag has anything to do with patting myself on the back. It's a style of fishing I enjoy, that if anything enables a healthy release (nothing else). Not to mention the fact that when on a constantly moving light craft how much pressure are you actually putting on the fish? Agreed, this will require confidence in your line and knot strength and maybe a couple of clicks to that thing on your right. You know what bro, your avatar says it all.

Hey Chuck, get the hell out there for the "re-match". I can guarantee there is a big Thresher with your name on it (if not your hook). Don't sweat that fish, as landing a biggun in the dark is completely crazy.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
THE DARKHORSE

Nothing official, with no ink on the contract just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Sorry to hear that Chuck... Sure sounds like some good times while you were on it. Think about it this way - if it was that big, and it was dark, crappy weather and all - I'm sure releasing it would have crossed your mind anyways. I'd settle for that if I was in the same situation.

Now, on the news of the breaking news...

Is congratulations in order Josh, are you on the bike team??

You'd have to have to give your Malibu X a credit for all that big fish it put you on in WCW 07.

Some prostaff deal or self driven decision? Do tell, the mob wants to know...

I have to admit - back when we were fishing Catalina, I kept looking at the guys on Hobies effortlessly passing by my in all that crappy wind and chop...

And before I forget - there is this great guy Nate, who's running an awesome Hobie shop up in Oceanside:

http://www.oeexpress.com/oceanside-store.html

Tell him you heard about it on BWE - Nate will hook you up fo' sho!

And did I mention Hobie kayaks are available at BWE's web store???
Hobie is simply allowing me to give them a try and so far I'm impressed.
Not to mention, they have a first rate team that I would feel honored to fish with. I have also watched in horror as they fly past me to the grounds for years. Effortlessly, cruising through wind and chop is something I could get used to. Not to mention the fact that I have a habit of running late and an opportunity to virtually go back in time (or sleep in) is welcome.

If anything the X-factor (besides providing an incredibly slow and "stable" floating vessel) should thank me. That craft didn't put me on any fish during the season, it's without a doubt the other way around. With less travel-time and more time to fish, the results are inevitable.

The reality of the situation is that my move to Hobie kayaks would of happened with or without a pro-deal. From years of paddling and chasing bird-schools that were only noticeable from my bino's, I have serious circulation issues with my hands. My hands have pins and needles and are asleep more often than not. I constantly wake up with that annoying pain and hope I haven't caused permanent damage. The idea of using the larger muscles in your legs and going roughly twice the speed with less effort (while re-spooling my jig-stick on the way to the bird-school two-miles away) is to say the least, exciting.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
you're nuts to try and land it in darkness.....that would have been so cool though,
Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #16
El Burro Blanco
Junior

Quote:
If anything the X-factor (besides providing an incredibly slow and "stable" floating vessel) should thank me. That craft didn't put me on any fish during the season, it's without a doubt the other way around.
Wow, I must be wrong. I've never hooked a thresher so I have no idea how to land them, but I can only hope to be so cool one day.

Did hobie provide you with complimentary kneepads?

SDhandy guy, hell of a story. Sounds exciting!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
dorado50

el burrito burro

Your ignorance is showing! lol
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
john p.

The guy at the shimano seminar at day at the docks talked about what he referred to as "stupid tight" when your line is digging into the spool and it is making that noise. I backed off the drag just short of that, short pumped it and intended to make it a short fight. Just would not come up and dragged me a distance. Being fin hooked i'm sure did not help. Guess it was a "pup" at 90 but i'm still sore. Great story getting your fav. iron back. And after looking at Hobies one day i had to admit some advantages, paddling for now but peddaling could be in the future.
john p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #19
PEMEX

Quote:
I'm a big fan of C and R, but if there ever was a species that is thriveing and in need of being put in check the Thresher Shark (in local waters) is it. t fast......... I always laugh when someone tells me a #80 shark pulled them for a mile

Dude..
Put in check?
WTF?
Are you a biologist with data that the rest of us have not seen?
Dude..I shat myself...
PEMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #20
El Burro Blanco
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Your ignorance is showing! lol
So is your arrogance.lol