Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
PAL

MLPA Update, December 2008

It’s been a while since I’ve checked in with an update on the MLPA. In the past couple of months the Regional Stakeholder’s Group has met twice. No line drawing so far – you can expect that to start in February.

MJ Kennedy and I have enjoyed those many, long hours of meetings on your behalf. If you’d like to get a taste of them, you can view a video archive online. Just type “DFG MLPA” into Google and follow the meeting links.

Ecotrust is processing their survey data – kayak angler turnout was exceptional, thanks! We also have our own map of kayak fishing launch sites and fishing areas. We’re working with other segments of the broader fishing community to identify essential sites and locate those areas we don’t want to but must offer as closure candidates. I feel the kayak fishing community is as ready as we can be as the tough work approaches.

Other info. We’re still awaiting the Science Advisory Team’s ‘rules’ for Southern California. This concerns the size and spacing required for reserves to meet the Act’s conservation requirements. We may learn this on Dec 17.

The next Stakeholder group meeting is in San Diego on January 13 and 14, location still TBD. Public comment is taken immediately following lunch, usually around 1 pm. Please come if you have something constructive to say to the Stakeholder Group or the MLPA staff. I’m not asking anyone to turn out until the cards are on the table, when we can see which areas we’ll have to fight for.

Please feel free to contact me via PM – I’ll do my best to get back to you promptly. The KFACA email has been unreliable lately – we’re working on that. Thanks again for all you’ve done to help preserve kayak fishing opportunity and access as we deal with the MLPA.

Paul

Paul Lebowitz
Kayak Fishing Association of California
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Thanks for keeping us updated Paul. It's good to hear your point of view on the process.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Thanks for keeping us updated Paul. It's good to hear your point of view on the process.
Thanks so much Paul!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Billy V

Keep pointing them away from our Main Launch and Fishing site.

-Unless they want to buy all of us 20 ft. Boston Whaler Outrages w/ 225 Yamaha 4 strokes.

Even that would not be enough for me.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote