Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Sea Sickness PAtch

which one works best?

I am trying to take my friend out, the first time i took him out he puked all over my tandem kayak.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
danjor

Also interested. Dramamine works for me but the side affect of falling asleep at the end day sucks!
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Look for the scopace patches.
http://www.transdermscop.com/transde...nformation.htm

They use to have it in Pill form and it works better and you don't have to take it the night before. You can take it right before you go on the boat.

https://www.canadadrugs.com/products/scopace

California company will package up some pills for you.
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=415894

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 06-25-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Sdspeed

Be careful with Scopace Medication, it has possible negitive interactions with 118 prescribed medications that need to be monitored closely.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
oneyedeer

The one I use is bromine...I think thats what it is. I think whatever you use jus make sure you take it way ahead of time
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

My dad was throwing up on the boat and was given one of the Scopace pills and in minutes he was back to normal, well not throwing up, and in about 15 minutes he totally felt like he was never sick. I've seen the pills work in action so I know they work. The patch you have to put on the night before.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
momo fish

how do you buy one.. Site is confusing as it seems they cost 10 a pop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
My dad was throwing up on the boat and was given one of the Scopace pills and in minutes he was back to normal, well not throwing up, and in about 15 minutes he totally felt like he was never sick. I've seen the pills work in action so I know they work. The patch you have to put on the night before.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
salty pirate

works good. if not then meclizine, it's not a patch though
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
echo1er

Dramamine take 30-45 before hitting the water.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
RobFish
Massive Member

I can say that I've tried everything.
Dramamine (Meclizine), Bonine, ginger in all the ways you can think, burned a little "oregano", gone out on an empty stomach, full stomach, etc.
The only thing that has ever worked for me is Scopolamine (the patch that goes behind your ear). Yes it used to be offered here in the USA as a pill but no longer.

Does it work, you betcha! Does it have downsides, you betcha.
I place it behind my ear the night before I go out, and I wake up in the morning with major cotton mouth. It dehydrates me big time, even to the point of a little mild constipation, which actually isn't so bad for long days on the kayak. The biggest downside that I experience is it basically burns my skin. I'll get off the water, remove the patch, shower, and I'll have a raised red bump where I had the patch. Within a couple of days, it'll scab over, and a couple days later, that'll fall off. I even put lotion on the area for those couple days.

Each patch lasts for 3 days, and they recommend switching ears with every patch. They say don't cut the patch, but I used them whole and it burned my skin very badly, so now I cut them in half or even in quarters. The cost is also quite steep. They retail at $17 each, and with my insurance, I pay $7. My brother through his employer gets them for $1. Yup, a buck.

The potential conflicts with other medications are many, which is why it is only available with a prescription from your doctor. In higher doses than the transderm patch releases, it's a mild hallucinogen, but they sometimes give it to folks coming out of surgery, and are still under heavy anesthesia, to keep them from vomiting.

Here's a link to read about it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopolamine

The stuff is wicked, but it works. I would try every other option before it, but in the end, it just might be the only thing that will keep you on the water, and not puking in your lap.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
maui jim

Usually a Nice Big Cigar and a Fresh Greasy Breakfast Bacon Burrito with lots of garlic keeps me stable in the morning....
Old 06-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
how do you buy one.. Site is confusing as it seems they cost 10 a pop?
I e-mailed the company here in California about a year ago and they stated that if you can get a prescription from your doctor they will fill it. I have also heard of people getting it south or the border also. Cutting out all the BS though, it may be better just to get the patch. Like most have said, put it on the night before you go, and be sure to drink lots of water.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Thank you for all this information. I was on the Islander and i saw a bunch of people had the patch

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
danjor

Last time I was at the doctor I asked him one side note, was not main topic about a prescription for the motion sickness patch. He told me they have to test me to make sure I actually have motion sickness... I was like wtf you really need to test me for motion sickness but I was in a hurry so I didn't bother with whatever testing they wanted to do. He also commented I should consider a change of hobby because who would want to go fishing if they get sea sick. I'll have to ask again next time I go and see a different doctor. Anyone else have a doctor say they need to test you for motion sickness before giving you the patch?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Last time I was at the doctor I asked him one side note, was not main topic about a prescription for the motion sickness patch. He told me they have to test me to make sure I actually have motion sickness... I was like wtf you really need to test me for motion sickness but I was in a hurry so I didn't bother with whatever testing they wanted to do. He also commented I should consider a change of hobby because who would want to go fishing if they get sea sick. I'll have to ask again next time I go and see a different doctor. Anyone else have a doctor say they need to test you for motion sickness before giving you the patch?
I'm a doc, and that doc sounds like a moron.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
tagyak

hey frank, matt and i used that patch (scopolamine) awhile ago. it does work and like robfish says it does give you major cotton mouth.
after awhile matt and i stopped using it. it maybe because the issue with the cotton mouth just sucked or we just got use to being on the water.

i also use these two methods; eating crackers and drinking gingerale. lots of people say to eat or drink ginger.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
tagyak

Quote:
i just told my doctor that i get seasick when i go fishing and would like to know what he could recommend. he prescribed the patch for me without any testing. also on a side note, i don't take any other meds so that may have helped him to okay it so quickly.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
I'm a doc, and that doc sounds like a moron.
This confirms my theory that the doctor was a moron. That wasn't the only stupid thing he said....
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
Divad

Quote:
This confirms my theory that the doctor was a moron. That wasn't the only stupid thing he said....
No that Doc was work on taking your fishing funds out of your pocket!

I use the perssure point type bracelet for sea sickness, you can get them at the drug store.
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
inbx3

I usually take a Meclazine the night before I go out. It makes you drowsy, well you're going to sleep anyways so look at it as a sleeping aid. When you wake up in the AM it's already working in your system and off you go. So far so good.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote