Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Killa-P
Junior

New 2005 Hobie Outback Owner needing Advice

Morning Afternoon all.

1st time Kayaker here with the intentions of going offshore/BTB with my 2005 outback.

All I have is the outback with the Mirage Drive. I have to start from scratch. I have RTFF and I have a local shop prepped to go as far as strengthening the drive-well area for an upgrade to the Turbo-Fins.

From Bungees' to paddles to rod holders etc Could I get some direct outfitting advice from a pre-2009 Outback owner on the best way for a NEWBIE to set up his outback.

One last question. Are the hobie outriggers a good option for going BTB. What are outrigger Pros and Cons going BTB.

I will be primarily operating off the Florida Gulf Coast but wil be venturing as far west as Galveston and as far south as the Florida Keys.

I'm kinda in information overload mode right now so any complete package suggestions that would take my guess work out the equation is greatly appreciated.
Killa-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Raskal311

Some older hobies has crack/leak issues near some key areas. Google it and maybe reinforce where possible.

Last edited by Raskal311; 03-21-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

From all the reports of cracks im the well... I would stear clear of the turbo fins... If you really need to have larger fins go with the slightly bigger ST fins... But I would honestly just go with the stock ones and still reinforce the well. Once it breaks you are SOL.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
blitzburgh

I'll let others suggest outfitting. What I will suggest is, if you are a first time yaker:

1.Take your new ride to a body of water you're comfortable with.

2.Practice entering, bailing & re-entering your yak until you feel confident you could do it on open water. If you are already good with this, skip to step 4.

3.Take your new ride down to the surf with nothing but your Yak, Mirage Drive, Paddle & a PFD.

4. Practice launcing & landing in the surf until you physically cannot do it any longer.

5.Respect the ocean and you'll be allllright

Good luck!

Last edited by blitzburgh; 03-21-2014 at 08:32 AM.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

I have pre-2009 outback and got the turbo fins, did the well retro-fit and they have been good for at least 20 10+ mile trips
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
I'll let others suggest outfitting. What I will suggest is, if you are a first time yaker:

2.Practice entering, bailing & re-entering your yak until you feel confident you could do it on open water. If you are already good with this, skip to step 4.

4.Take your new ride down to the surf with nothing but your Yak, Mirage Drive, Paddle & a PFD.

5. Practice launcing & landing in the surf until you physically cannot do it any longer.

6.Respect the ocean and you'll be allllright

Good luck!

What's step three?!?!?!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
What's step three?!?!?!
LOL good catch man! I uuhhh, was just checkin' to see if you were paying attention...yeah, yeah that's the ticket
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
What's step three?!?!?!
Step three was get a friend to stand on the beach with a camera...
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatford View Post
Step three was get a friend to stand on the beach with a camera...
Only if they keep you in the frame. My first landing was recorded but could not be seen. It did cost me a mirage drive.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Dannowar

Quote:
LOL good catch man! I uuhhh, was just checkin' to see if you were paying attention...yeah, yeah that's the ticket
Just making sure it wasn't the most important step!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Killa-P
Junior

Quote:

3.Take your new ride down to the surf with nothing but your Yak, Mirage Drive, Paddle & a PFD.

4. Practice launcing & landing in the surf until you physically cannot do it any longer.

5.Respect the ocean and you'll be allllright

Good luck!

Thank you very much appreciated. The basics of getting around properly will be a helluva starting point. Knowing how to handle yourself in the water is rule 1. Also I thought you werent supposed to pull your Mirage drive out upon approach to the beach and finish up with your paddle.

Thank you to everyone for their advice. Currently watching all kinds of tutorials on Youtube.
Killa-P is offline   Reply With Quote