Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
StumpFisher

Advice on buying a used hobie

Hello everyone. I’m in the market for a used honor compass duo. This will be my first hobie and so I wanted advice on what I need to know when buying a used one. Do I need to have someone look at the drives? Should I ask if I can test drive if that is even done (which seems like a difficult ask).

Thank you for any advice
StumpFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
mocruz1200
Junior

IMO compasses are new enough that there are probably no issues with the drive. but look it over, if there are obvious signs that is hasnt been taken care of, deep scratches, oxidation, heavy salt buildup, that kind of stuff. as far as the hull goes just look for heavy scratches on the underside, look it over for any cracks or damage, you should be OK
mocruz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
Revoguys

Yea doing a sea trial on a kayak is not gonna happen! Lol but thoroughly inspect the hull for cracks, make sure the drive doesn’t have rust and moves freely and that’s pretty much the core of it. The rest is small stuff, like my Hobie was scratched on the bottom form surf launching but that’s minor scuffs
Revoguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
StumpFisher

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoguys View Post
Yea doing a sea trial on a kayak is not gonna happen! Lol but thoroughly inspect the hull for cracks, make sure the drive doesn’t have rust and moves freely and that’s pretty much the core of it. The rest is small stuff, like my Hobie was scratched on the bottom form surf launching but that’s minor scuffs
When I sold my last kayak, I took the guy out for a 6-hour fishing day off the buoy at Dana Point! That said, there were some special circumstances and I would say that probably isn't the norm. At best you might get to paddle around in a harbor or bay somewhere. Maybe more than that if you're serious about buying and are respectful and honest to the seller.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:46 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
When I sold my last kayak, I took the guy out for a 6-hour fishing day off the buoy at Dana Point! That said, there were some special circumstances and I would say that probably isn't the norm. At best you might get to paddle around in a harbor or bay somewhere. Maybe more than that if you're serious about buying and are respectful and honest to the seller.
Seems pretty exceptional to give a demo prior to a sale for used. I have dozens of friends that have purchased used, and never had a seller give a demo. Many of the dealerships in my area will have demo days either monthly, quarterly, or at boat shows in a swimming pool. People borrow friends' kayaks to see if they like them. I have owned 8 and sold 5 kayaks and have yet to experience a demo during a transaction.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #7
kevbeer

take a look at the drive fins and where these fins meet the drive...you might be able to tell if the fin booms are bent, also see if fins are damaged. Fins and fin booms are most exposed part of the Hobies in my opinion. However, if these are damaged, usually a relatively cheap fix and so would only low ball over it.
kevbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #8
fishnfoool

Check the scupper holes for cracks.

If the kayak has more holes than it is supposed to, then that is a red flag too.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #9
SoCalEDC

If you are looking to buy your first kayak and you may sell it within a year or two go and demo a few kayaks you are interested in at a demo day to get an idea of what you like/dislike and then shop around on the used market accordingly. I like to check the hull by shining a flashlight inside and seeing if there is any bleeding light where a crack or hole could be. A for the drive they are fairly simple mechanisms with nearly no internals, everything that makes the drive go is externally visible. If the cables or pullies look shitty and old like they've been baking in the sun you mat have to replace them but that's not a huge deal.

With all that said though, if this is going to be a long term investment I think buying new is the way to go. You get a warranty and you get the backing of the dealer who you purchase it from. You also get the piece of mind of knowing that what you get **should** be safe and sea worthy without having to worry about other considerations that typically come with a used kayak.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #10
StumpFisher

A big thank you to everyone! Fantastic advice!! It sounds like the difference between $500 and having a new warranty may be the way to go since I plan on keeping long term. Thanks again!!
Old 05-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #11
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
If you are looking to buy your first kayak and you may sell it within a year or...
...that typically come with a used kayak.
Unless you're lucky and find a trustworthy seller on BWE
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Unless you're lucky and find a trustworthy seller on BWE
Oh for sure

We are small knit enough that it's pretty safe, but that also lends itself to scarcity. Shopping around craigslist and OfferUp tho, buyer beware of the scoundrels.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #13
Mahigeer

I will have two kayaks for sale soon.
Lots of extras, just add water.

2015 Hobie outback. Not sure on year; 14 foot Malibu X factor. Both hardly used. I bought them used myself.

Even will have a Thule Halavator roof rack for sale.

If you buy a new and decide there are issues with using them (not necessarily the kayak itself), then you are out of a lot of money.
However, used one is cheap enough that you can invest the difference toward a new one later when you know for sure it will be a long term passion.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote