Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
Weso
Junior

Fish bag/ kill bag outback

I'm buying a Outback tomorrow and wondering what fish bag you swear by. Please tell me the size or what not, or link. Storage for wsb, sheep head, halibut. You prefer front mount or back
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
FISH11

Reliable 36" I have been using it since 2016 first on my Hobie Revo 13 and now on my Solo Skiff. i like to carry 5 frozen water bottles in it so If I catch something I want to bring home, I bleed it and put it inside the bag with the frozen water bottles to keep it cool. Works awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LJ Yellow inside Kill Bag – Version 2.jpg (72.8 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 20210605_105338.jpg (71.6 KB, 191 views)
Old 08-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
FISH11

Reliable 36" I have been using it since 2016 first on my Hobie Revo 13 and now on my Solo Skiff. i like to carry 5 frozen water bottles in it so If I catch something I want to bring home, I bleed it and put it inside the bag with the frozen water bottles to keep it cool. Works awesome. Hobie also sells it under their name branding, of course that means it cost more, if it says Hobie.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Another vote for the 36" Reliable/Hobie Bag. Six yrs ago I won the Hobie version from Kayak Wars online tournament. Since then I have tried a few bags. The ones with no zippers tend to hold the cold in better, at the cost of harder access.

I prefer to keep the bag on the back end of the kayak to avoid directional instability. A vessel trimmed by the stern is easier to steer straight. Put all the weight on the bow and a vessel down by the head requires more work to steer. Down by the head is prone to broach when coming back through the surf.

If you are buying an older Outback, putting the bag on the bow is OK as the kayak is already very trimmed by the stern. The newer Outback has the space on the backend for a bag, but it is hard to access if you use the rod holders on the back of a live well. I use rod holders along the sides of the kayak to circumvent the problem.

In hot Florida, it's 8 frozen water bottles and a piece of foam on the top of the fish bag to dampen the Sun's heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FirstLight.jpg (48.4 KB, 175 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #5
YetiX
n00b

What are you guys using to attach the bag to your kayaks?
Old 08-07-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
FISH11

I use nylon hooks mounted with tri-fold aluminum pop rivets. That way the bags 6 D rings go on the hooks. https://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com...ets-pack-of-10, https://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/lashing-hook
Old 08-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Revoguys

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiX View Post
Mark nailed it, Reliable kayak fishing kill bag! I use the double carabiner hooks.
Revoguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #8
fishnfoool

I use the proyaker icy catch bag. I just lay it on the back of my outback. It will fit 3 average size yellows ( tail and all ) or 2 large yellows ( tail and all). One really big wsb or a mild sized bluefin up to 70 pounds. It's nice to be able fit fish up to 48 inches long in your kill bag.

Duct tape works pretty well.
Just kidding. It sits pretty perfectly in the back but you can use the bungees the kayak comes with to lock it in.

Last edited by fishnfoool; 08-14-2021 at 06:47 PM.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
I use the proyaker icy catch bag. I just lay it on the back of my outback. It will fit 3 average size yellows ( tail and all ) or 2 large yellows ( tail and all). One really big wsb or a mild sized bluefin up to 70 pounds. It's nice to be able fit fish up to 48 inches long in your kill bag.

Duct tape works pretty well.
Just kidding. It sits pretty perfectly in the back but you can use the bungees the kayak comes with to lock it in.
I like this bag also, but with the live well on the back of my outback, there is barely enough space for a 36" bag, let alone a 48" bag. The reliable bag can be zipped up close on either side of the tail when a bigger fish is taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2327IcyCatche.jpg (81.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #10
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
I use 4 proyaker quick buckle latches.

Two from the back handrail, and two for the opposite ends of the fishbag.

https://www.proyaker.com/product-pag...rails-set-of-2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishbagclip.jpg (64.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #11
YetiX
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I use 4 proyaker quick buckle latches.

Two from the back handrail, and two for the opposite ends of the fishbag.

https://www.proyaker.com/product-pag...rails-set-of-2
Wow, that looks like a serious set up!!

Question for you, how do you get fish in that bag while out on the water? I can access my front hatch (carefully) while on the water, but I cannot figure out how you'd turn around and put something in the bag without going in the water.

Maybe I just need to go launch and play around without any gear on board to see what the limits really are . . .
Old 08-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Wow, that looks like a serious set up!!

Question for you, how do you get fish in that bag while out on the water? I can access my front hatch (carefully) while on the water, but I cannot figure out how you'd turn around and put something in the bag without going in the water.

Maybe I just need to go launch and play around without any gear on board to see what the limits really are . . .
Thanks. Practice will improve your balance. For pulling cold water or lunch out of the bag, it's just a twist at the shoulders for access. For putting a large heavy fish in the bag, I grab the two handrails on either side to pull myself up on my feet(scrunched low) facing fwd. Then slowly rotate facing aft. Avoiding grabing the chair for balance as it will flex and might become unsecured. Once facing aft, unzip and slip the catch in the bag. Easy Peasy with practice.

Note all the rod holders on the sides of the kayak. I do not use the rod holders attached to the live well as they block access to the fish bag. The side rod holders also serve as a guard rail to help keep items in the kayak.