Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Hell of a surprise. Not kayak related.

4RUNNERE AND OPOSSUM

Three days after I parked a perfect running 4Runner, I started it and engine started running rough.
In seconds the “check engine” light came on as well as “off road” light.
Although my first profession was auto mechanics with ASE certification, I do not have all the diagnostic equipment that are
needed today to work on automobiles these days.
And paying the high cost of dealer repair work goes against my grain, I decided to take a peak under the hood, as the saying goes.

My existing OBD 2 code reader was not setup for 2017 year, so I had to spend $160.00 to get a newer version.
It indicated PO301, engine misfire, cylinder #1.
The most common cause being spark plug, or ignition coil, I went ahead and ordered a complete set of each from Amazon.
I was so disappointed at the reliability of Toyota, especially 4 Runner since neither part was due to replacement for a long time from now.
I was further concerned about taking it on the road for my ice fishing trips, where there are no cell signals.

As I removed the air filter housing to access the #1 ignition coil and spark plug, I was shocked, relieved and happy for restoration of my faith as to the reliability of Toyota 4Runner.
It seemed something had made a temporary nest on top of the V6 engine.

1-Chewed #1cylinder injector wire, and chewed wire cover tube of #3 cylinder.

2-Chewed outer wire casing and possible bird bone.

My money is on an opossum as the culprit.

After I spliced a new wires and put on new cover tubes, the engine was back to its wonderful smooth running.
Once I erased the “check engine” light with the new OBD 2 code reader, the “off road” light went off too.
That is a puzzle, since the push button for the “off road” light was not turning the light off.
Now after the codes are erased, everything is back to normal.

However, I have one more important issue to deal with. How do I prevent future problems with the critter that caused the problem?
For now, I used some ¼” hardware cloth to sort of fill the space and protect the injector wiring.

Lastly, my wife told me about a lawsuit against Toyota that was dismissed. It seems that Toyota is using a soy based plastic as wire insulation. That has been seen by other Toyota owners as reason their vehicles being damaged by critters.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

As if I did not have enough issues to deal with these days.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #2
CrazzyGar

Ha Ha…!!! I just went thru this with my Tundra. A Rat or rodent ate my Vacuum line that controls a valve for Smog Cat Converter. I failed the first Smog Check. Then went to pull the valve off and found the chewed hose. $7 for house is better then $400 in valve parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
kayakfisher
Junior

Same for my Tundra, I now add peppermint oil to a rag zip tied near the wires. It repels rodents, but must be replenished regularly
kayakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Years ago, I saw a nest in my in-law's VW, but no damage.

Funny part is that before I removed the air filter; I was telling my wife, there must have been Gremlins under the hood doing mischief.
Because, the mechanical items breakdown gradually. The electronic/electrical items do not go bad with no power to them.
Therefore, it must have been ghost or Gremlins.

On a side note:
I am going to contact the guy who is suing Toyota.

I will post contact information here when I get them.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-27-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

I would guess a rat over an opossum, but who knows? Good to know. Will keep an eye out for that on my Tacoma.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
YetiX
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I would guess a rat over an opossum, but who knows? Good to know. Will keep an eye out for that on my Tacoma.
Yeah, almost certainly a rat. Opossums aren't really know for eating wiring but rats sure are.

Out at the ranch I "work" at on weekends, the owners have ultrasonic devices under the hoods. They make a weird noise every few minutes which repels rodents. They seem to work as we've had no problems since installing them in the vehicles. I believe this is the one we use: LINK
Old 09-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
f'nsabiki

Toyotas must be tasty! I had to have my complete wiring harness replaced last year due to rat damage--$4800.00. Luckily, insurance covered it.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiX View Post
Yeah, almost certainly a rat. Opossums aren't really know for eating wiring but rats sure are.

Out at the ranch I "work" at on weekends, the owners have ultrasonic devices under the hoods. They make a weird noise every few minutes which repels rodents. They seem to work as we've had no problems since installing them in the vehicles. I believe this is the one we use: LINK

Before reading this post, I saw this unit on Amazon and ordered one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good to know the concept works.