Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2022, 06:41 AM   #1
carbonbass

Loading/Unloading with a bad back?

Hi Guys,

Been quite a while since i've owned a yak, also I moved to Texas this last fall and have been focusing on freshwater black bass fishing. I have a herniated disc in my back which is in sort of a remission state after physical therapy and a steroid shot treatment. I recently purchased an inflatable SUP and have enjoyed a couple fishing outings on it but it's not the most comfortable to sit on unless your legs are straddling it in the water and the wind runs a number on your mobility. Thinking about getting a pedal drive kayak but concerned with unloading/loading with my back. I've seen these suction cup load assists that stick onto your back windshield and allow you to slide the yak onto the car easier, other than this does anyone have tips/tricks that they use to load the yak without strain on your lower back? I have a WRX and it has the mounting spots for a rack, I can get a OEM one for fairly cheap. Thanks!
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
Roscoe

I used that suction cup thing on a rav4. Works ok most of the time. Doesnt work on the new rav with the shark fin antenna.
I had thought about getting this
Thule Outrigger II Easy Loader Extension Bar
It slides in the cross bar for travel and pulls out for loading and unloading.
Only issue is you need the thule racks for it.
There are other options but they either wont fit my car or too expensive.
If i get to the point of have real issue loading the kayak on top of a vehicle I will break down and get a small a trailer.

Thats my 2 bits
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:27 AM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

For the ballers

https://www.berleypro.com/product/will-i-loader/
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

Inflatable

Have you looked at the Hobie inflatables…?
It really is the lightest way to go…and still have a comfortable seat for your back and a push pull peddle system that’s usually more comfortable for guys with back problems…
And there’s lots of aftermarket rigging for fishing and fish finders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0FD1CD4B-B72E-476A-B593-3716CB205947.jpg (28.0 KB, 83 views)

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Best advice I can give is to workout and lift heavy.

I have a herniated L3 and L4 along with LCL, ACL and ITB issues and lifting, stretching and practicing proper form and posture goes a long way. I can still put 225lbs over my head and deadlift 600+ lbs. when I stop lifting for a long period of time, like last summer due to other obligations, is when I feel the pain and have even got stuck on my back in bed.

Easiest way to load the yak is put the nose up on the roof then pick up the back and push it up. Just practice doing it and build the strength.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:33 AM   #6
Oolie
Headshots Only

I use an impreza to move yaks as well, it's quite low, but the hull is still very heavy. I don't know of a product that will make it quite as easy as it could be, but Kayakers are usually a creative bunch.

I didn't see very many subarus out there when I was helping a friend move out that way earlier this year, I think he has the only turbo imp in town.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:49 AM   #7
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
Best advice I can give is to workout and lift heavy.

I have a herniated L3 and L4 along with LCL, ACL and ITB issues and lifting, stretching and practicing proper form and posture goes a long way. I can still put 225lbs over my head and deadlift 600+ lbs. when I stop lifting for a long period of time, like last summer due to other obligations, is when I feel the pain and have even got stuck on my back in bed.

Easiest way to load the yak is put the nose up on the roof then pick up the back and push it up. Just practice doing it and build the strength.
I'm a bit afraid to lift heavy anymore, I believe ego lifting when I was younger + poor posture + poor posture lifting things (like kayaks) is what caused my back issues in the first place :P. doesn't sliding the yak along the roof just scratch it to hell though (the roof)?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:11 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
I'm a bit afraid to lift heavy anymore, I believe ego lifting when I was younger + poor posture + poor posture lifting things (like kayaks) is what caused my back issues in the first place :P. doesn't sliding the yak along the roof just scratch it to hell though (the roof)?

Condolences for your back issues, just recently had some bad back pains. I found that swimming helps keep my core strong, and yoga stretches helped with alignment. Keeping good posture is key. When lifting always bend the knees, lift with your legs and keep the load close to your body, while maintaining a straight back. I throw a towel on the car to avoid scratches when pushing a kayak up the side onto the roof racks. When you don't use it, you can lose it. Stay strong.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:36 AM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
I’ve always done this on a roof rack or ladder rack on a truck, never a bare roof so you’d have to use a blanket or foam or something to protect the roof.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:03 PM   #10
Stuck20

I was loading my Radar 115 onto my Subaru Outback with the help of a Rhino Rack T-Loader, which helped a ton. You need a tow hitch though. Just picked up a Hobie Lynx which is a super light peddle yak (maybe paddle board hybrid type of boat?) that is really easy to lift up even on the higher Outback roof rack without any assistance. Like Jim said, there's also the inflatable hobie yaks but I can't speak about their weight as I've never owned one nor been on one.

Whatever you end up with- I hope it works out well for you. Back problems are the worst!
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote