Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
jaws197

Sunglasses???

Question for one and all????

I am in a quandary as to what glasses were better for fishing?

I have heard and read many different opinions as to lens color composition and brand and was looking for an informed opinion from the excellent folk here....

I have been debating between the Costa del mars and the Kaenons, I was leaning towards the costas with the glass lenses as even the Oakleys I have now with the plastic lenses scrtach so easily,( hence looking at glass lenses) and the cheaper "throw away" glasses just give me a headache after a short time. I have 20/20 vision and frankly the el cheapos just don't cut it for me anymore, before I spend that kind of money I wanted some INFORMED advice as opposed to just "what somebody I know says"....LOL Not trying to be a wise a$$ just want some real on the water experience. I know some of you here with so much time spent on the water would have formed valuable opinions on this subject.

Suggestions if you please?
Brand? Style? Lens color? Your experiences?

Thanks to one and all for any responses given!!!!
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Dannowar

There's not much you could really scratch them on otw. Polarized I my only necessity.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Baja_Traveler

I - unfortunately - require a prescription sunglass, and went through the same search two years ago. I decided on Maui Jim Blue Water's with the HCL Bronze lens. I couldnt be more happy with my decision (once the pain of paying for them was over with)...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
SoCalCJ

Go to the Costa booth @ Fred Hall LB or DM. Those guys are the most knowledgeable and they always hook you up with tons of freebies when you buy a pair of shades.
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
maui jim

Go with glass... plastic scrathes no matter what any one says... Been wearing Maui's for almost 17 years now....No Ka Oi'...
Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
dorf

Oakley works for me

I have had nothing but good things to say about my Oakleys over the years. Polarized Monster Dogs were great until someone else liked them more than me. Now I have the Ten Polarized Iridium lens. I sometimes forget I have them on. I haven’t had any problems with scratches. Salt water will scratch the heck out of any lens. I always clean them with fresh water.

I’m sorry that I don’t have any help for you on your two choices but this is what has always worked for me.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Anything polarized as mentioned above. I love my SPY Helms in Polarized. These are my daily shades

I also bought a pair of polarized fishing glasses from the fishing section at wallyworld. cheap 8-10 bucks a pair just to use for fishing. I think they are branded by Berkely.
They were cheap... so scratching them wont hurt your feelings

Last edited by GR6RR; 03-01-2013 at 02:29 PM.
GR6RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
jaws197

Thanks to all so far! I have found out the hard way that salt water definitely is hard on lenses! Either from my nearly hysterical to watch surf launches and almost landings....or the rare occasion that some nearsighted fish accidentally runs into my hook and is too lazy to jump off til they reach the surface and give me a nice face full of water as a screw you parting shot.....LOL

I definitely had stopping by the Costa booth at the FHS in mind! It's kind of what got me thinking along these lines. I will also be looking into the Maui Jims as well.
Please feel free to add to this thread anyone else?
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
jorluivil

I have the Maui Jim Peahi sunglasses. The glasses are over sized(for big heads) and they have spring loaded hinges which allow them to open slightly wider, this helps alleviate the pressure that is put on your temples when the frames are NOT wide enough for you head. They are $200+ so they aren't cheap but in my opinion they're worth every cent.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Maui Jim Typhoons for me

Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws197 View Post
Question for one and all????

I am in a quandary as to what glasses were better for fishing?

I have heard and read many different opinions as to lens color composition and brand and was looking for an informed opinion from the excellent folk here....

I have been debating between the Costa del mars and the Kaenons, I was leaning towards the costas with the glass lenses as even the Oakleys I have now with the plastic lenses scrtach so easily,( hence looking at glass lenses) and the cheaper "throw away" glasses just give me a headache after a short time. I have 20/20 vision and frankly the el cheapos just don't cut it for me anymore, before I spend that kind of money I wanted some INFORMED advice as opposed to just "what somebody I know says"....LOL Not trying to be a wise a$$ just want some real on the water experience. I know some of you here with so much time spent on the water would have formed valuable opinions on this subject.

Suggestions if you please?
Brand? Style? Lens color? Your experiences?

Thanks to one and all for any responses given!!!!
If you were to adhere to the rules of the lens colors for the type of light, you would probably own 3 or more pairs of glasses. Personally go get yourself some good polarized lensed glasses and you'll be fine. Don't worry about the amber lenses, green, grey, or whatever. I personally buy $15 glasses from Wal-mart because I have a bad history with sunglasses. I have bought 3 pairs of sunglasses that cost me over $30 each pair and each pair got lost, stolen, or broken. Sure they were great but I just can't be buying sunglasses all the time.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

MAUI JIM's BLACK CORAL FOR ME..

http://www.mauijim.com/black-coral-6960.html

RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Necron 99

Having lost mine in an embarrassing wipe out in La Jolla last weekend, I would say get cheap ones.
Necron 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
dorado50

You get what you pay for.....cheap is cheap...middle of road is the middle ....expensive is for a reason. And yes, color of lense does mean something or there would be only one color.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
eddier68

Got this exact pair at Nordstrom Rack for about 70 bucks
Love em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.kaenon.com/sunglasses/mens-sunglasses/klay
eddier68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
wade

Scheyden Precision Eyewear, Jet-A's.

"At Scheyden, we understand your dedication and demand for quality. This is why we are passionate in creating the finest handmade eyewear in the world. The Scheyden Precision Eyewear Collection is engineered to aerospace tolerances and manufactured in the small community of Fukui, Japan, renowned for producing some of the finest eyewear in the world. Scheydens are available in Fixed Gear Titanium, full wrap Fixed Gear Hybrids, Titanium classic Flip-Ups and Titanium Dual Rx Flip-Ups. Available in non-polarized or polarized: both of which feature a multi-layer coating process that produce superior optical clarity and comfort. Prescription Rx lenses are available on request."

Polarized Razor Sharp, Vivid, Glare-Free Vision

Scheyden’s Premium Multi-Layer Coating Process delivers superior optical clarity. Our distortion-free polarized lens technology provides sun protection for all outdoor activities. Dramatically reduces glare and bounce-back reflections while eliminating eye fatigue and strain. 100% UVA and UVB Protection at 405 Nm and surpasses the highest ANSI standards. Designed for fishing, boating, driving and outdoor adventures.

1. Hydrophobic Topcoat creates an ultra-smooth, scratch resistant, easy to clean surface that repels water, oil and perspiration
2. Thermally Cured Hardcoat provides the ultimate in scratch resistance and anti-reflection of finished lens
3. 100% De-Centered Hand Ground and Polished Distortion Free lens increases peripheral vision and eliminates distortion
4. Polarization Film dramatically reduces bright sunlight glare
5. 100% De-Centered Hand Ground and Polished Distortion Free lens increases peripheral vision and eliminates distortion
6. Thermally Cured Hardcoat provides the ultimate in scratch resistance and anti-reflection of finished lens
7. Premium Anti-Reflective Stack creates an anti-reflective, anti-static surface that reduces eye fatigue and eye strain
8. Hydrophobic Topcoat creates an ultra-smooth, scratch-resistant, easy to clean surface that repels water, oil and perspiration

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #17
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
re: Sunglasses

I also wear Rx glasses, over the years I noticed that if I rinse off the lenses and wash with liquid soap (soft soap) & clean with a lens cloth, I do less damage to the lenses (mine are polycarbonate). Glass lenses are heavy and also can be scratched. I have 5 pairs of glasses two devoted to fishing and I use "Cocoons" to wear over my regular glasses for those partly cloudy days were changing glasses becomes tedious.
With the price of some of these glasses in the long run it might be cheaper to purchase the cheaper glasses with polycarbonate lenses.
My Fly Fishing partner has an assortment of sunglasses (over $1K worth), he has the Kaenon's in each of light transmissions and those are the ones he prefers the most. He uses his Maui's for driving/traveling a pair of HOBIE's for spares and sold all but 2 pair of his Costas.
The most important thing is to get good quality polarized lenses.

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 03-02-2013 at 12:37 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #18
Matar
I am just me.

Oakley has an angler specific sunglasses that I have.
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #19
Iceman
Administrator

I have been using these. Cool thing is you can buy extra lenses in different colors and swap them out for conditions.

http://www.smithoptics.com/products/...+Spoiler/view/
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
tacmik

Remember. The more expensive they are, the quicker you will lose or break them. Seems the cheaper they are, the harder to lose them.