Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
jorluivil

Ideas: 50/200 Transducer on Outback

I was going to purchase the Lowrance Scupper kit but it states that it does not work with the 50/200 tranducer. Does anyone have a 53/200 tranducer mounted under their Outback or Revo?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
salty pirate

53/200
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Lipripper92592

I've seen a few Revos with the 50/200kz ducers mounted on the rudder. The cable is zip tied and routed to a Hobie "grommet" on the rear deck.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

don't see why it wouldn't work...? looking at the 83/200 and the 50/200...they look the same...? right? I know the dsi transducers are different...compare it with matts, he's got the 83/200 I think.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

George, it won't help you.

Remember.....

You can't buy game!

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
don't see why it wouldn't work...? looking at the 83/200 and the 50/200...they look the same...? right? I know the dsi transducers are different...compare it with matts, he's got the 83/200 I think.
I already compared the two and much like everything else mine is bigger. The 50/200 is wider and longer so it doesn't sit as snug as the 83/200. I found a few ideas on the internet but nothing that shows it mounted under the kayak.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Deamon

This is scaring me now...I just gooped mine on the inside. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Why aren't you doing that Jorge?
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
This is scaring me now...I just gooped mine on the inside. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Why aren't you doing that Jorge?
if you have a high end ducer you don't want to mess with the goop. it is not going to give you accurate readings. if anything do a wet mount if you aren't going directly to the water.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I'm just looking for other options. If I can't find a way to mount it outside of the kayak I'll go with the putty or the pvc wet mount.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

seriously, in the water

Jorge,

I heard the DSI Xdcr needs to be in the water for best resolution and shooting through the hull attenuates the signal. So, here's an option I'm seriously thinking about for my DSI..

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...9/Default.aspx

-ED
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
oneyedeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Jorge,

I heard the DSI Xdcr needs to be in the water for best resolution and shooting through the hull attenuates the signal. So, here's an option I'm seriously thinking about for my DSI...

-ED
very nice!
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Jorge,

I heard the DSI Xdcr needs to be in the water for best resolution and shooting through the hull attenuates the signal. So, here's an option I'm seriously thinking about for my DSI..

-ED
That looks like a nice option, and should work well on the Yak Attack rails as well. Also, I could move the whole set-up fairly easily to my other yak, and NOT have to buy a 2nd transducer.

HMMMMM....

Now on a related question.. can someone help out a fishfinder noob about the difference between these Lowrance models? The guy at West Marine said the DSI has great bottom detail, but an effective range of only 200ft or so. And, that for ocean fishing, you can get past 200ft pretty quick. The 5X Elite, however, has less detail, but MUCH greater range. I also don't quite understand the 50/200 vs 83/200 transducer debate, and what the HDS offers.

Sorry to hijack a post.
I need a Lowrance tutorial! Much thanks as always folks!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I was going to purchase the Lowrance Scupper kit but it states that it does not work with the 50/200 tranducer.
Find a guy that works in a machine shop, maybe even a guy who works in a shop and kayak fishes and maybe even a guy who works in a machine shop, kayak fishes and made a custom mount for his revo not too long ago.

If you need help finding him let me know.

http://db.tt/bNjyDKOE

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
TJones

just a thought

i purchased similar model in hummingbird version . i went through different methods of installs . the first install was using the mad frog arm which is a similar idea to the ram mount shown . it is constructed of a rigid plastic arm that rides on a bolt the acts like a hinge . there were a few drawbacks . grass or weeds could collect on it and also it does create some drag pushing through water . so i tried in hull, wet, and dry mount which obviously is not good because the transducer definitely needs to be in water to get your down imaging and or side imaging . so next i decided to get the transducer back in water . i wound up mounting the transducer right underneath the seat drain scupper hole with the wire pulled through the hole . i purchased the hobie kit for capping wires and quickly ran the wire back inside the kayak so very little wire is exposed on the deck or outside the kayak . the mounting tabs on the transducer were removed as cleanly as possible with a saw and filled smooth .and the transducer can be held in place with some silicon or the plumbers putty that does not dry .the transducer is not completely recessed but dragging it on sand will not hurt it . the humming bird transducer is a little bit bigger than an altoids mint tin . not small by any means . overall i am happy with the install. when loading in the back of pickup you have to be careful not to slam the transducer .i place a towel underneath as cushion or precaution . i am not sure how big your units transducer is or if this will work for you. the outback does have deep channels so your transducer may not be exposed very much if at all . hope this idea helps . i can send pics if needed for illustration.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
TJones

it took me so long to type up

my response . but above post is what i did .
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
fishingfiend

When I had my outback, I opted for a wetmount to get accurate water temps. Ultimately, upgrading to the PA fixed my transducer mount issues. I'm sure Andy has a PA ready for you.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
fishingfiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
That looks like a nice option, and should work well on the Yak Attack rails as well. Also, I could move the whole set-up fairly easily to my other yak, and NOT have to buy a 2nd transducer.

HMMMMM....

Now on a related question.. can someone help out a fishfinder noob about the difference between these Lowrance models? The guy at West Marine said the DSI has great bottom detail, but an effective range of only 200ft or so. And, that for ocean fishing, you can get past 200ft pretty quick. The 5X Elite, however, has less detail, but MUCH greater range. I also don't quite understand the 50/200 vs 83/200 transducer debate, and what the HDS offers.

Sorry to hijack a post.
I need a Lowrance tutorial! Much thanks as always folks!
It's not lowrance, but Doug Vehrenberg knows his stuff. Check out his sonar tutorial series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq74UJaNMSs
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
45user

I went to oex and Andy set me up with ram mount on the side of my ok trident 15
I will be out tomorrow am to test it out
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
MVC

I have had both the 50/200 and the 83/200. The 83/200 is a much smaller transducer. It may work thru the scupper hole
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
TJones

trans mount

i give hobie props for the wire capping kit . all different size adapters for different size wires . i wont be able to throw my yak down the flight of stairs at malibu anymore . but reading will be very good . hope this helps with ideas .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-4.jpg (41.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg photo-7.jpg (43.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg photo-5.jpg (56.8 KB, 94 views)