Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
fishnfoool

attempt at fishing Dana point 7/20

Launched around 1. Was gonna try and search for bluefin. Made it out of harbor and conditions immediately changed my mind. 2 to 4 foot swells with 4-6 second intervals pushing me South. 15 mph winds also pushing me South. Decided to fish salt Creek figuring at least coming home, current and wind would help me along. After at least an hour of pedaling and not even passing baby Beach. Decided to head back because at the rate I was going, it would of taken at least 3 more hours before I reach salt Creek. Thought about fish doheny , but did not want to fight wind and water when done. Decided to end day early.
Sorry no fish to report guys.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Doheny isn't too bad when it's windy as long as you don't go too far south, but if it's too choppy it's not fun. I would have stayed out long enough to get some big Macs or Smelt in the tank and put the wind to work with drifts through the channel looking for some big Halibut. It would be fun to try out a drift chute I think. There's lots of decent Leapards in the harbor right now too if you're into that.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
DanaPT

Bummer about the wind. Thanks for the heads up.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
King Saba

Launched at 1 in search of pelagics? A early start is your best bet good sir. Winds are practically non-existent in the early hours.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 AM   #5
TJones

Public apology

I was not trying to incinuate or suggest to not post reports about LJ with my last response to your previous thread. I guess some guys were trying to give you some heat . Hope you did not take it the wrong way . Anthony .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
Vikingj

It's smart to be careful and take note of conditions. I was out there too and those swells/winds were not conducive to easy paddling.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Launched at 1 in search of pelagics? A early start is your best bet good sir. Winds are practically non-existent in the early hours.
I was thinking the same thing. If you're going for Tuna you don't want to get caught in those conditions even on your way back in.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
fishnfoool

Tjones

This was nothing related to other report. I am proud of other report. This report is because this is where I chose to go. I figured I would give up to date reports from now on no matter how good or bad trips is.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
straightrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
This was nothing related to other report. I am proud of other report. This report is because this is where I chose to go. I figured I would give up to date reports from now on no matter how good or bad trips is.
Everything here is cool and accurate. Wife and I in a tandem Hobie Outfitter, last year, caught a yellowtail close to the pipe, the winds were so bad and so strong (25 mph) and choppy it took us almost three hours to get back to the harbor. All rods and Implements lowered to the deck waves pounding over my wife she would not let go of her Yellow Tail I almost called the Coast Guard on numerous times. Forevermore I am weary
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote