Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
Mr_Fixit

Truck Recomendations

Greetings all you super knowledgeable experts,

I am DONE loading my Outback on my Prius. I want to get a truck. At some point I also want to get a small fishing boat. I know stating "Small fishing boat" is a hugely general term, and I have started looking to see what is out there and price ranges, but have not settled on anything. But, I want a boat small enough to carry on a trailer.

I know I want the truck to be a 4x4 specifically so I can easily deal with LJ launches and attend some of these fishing trips in Mexico. What do you guys recommend for a decent truck? I have been looking at the F150's, but Toyota also makes some that might work. If I were simply concerned about transporting my yak, this would be simple. But, I want to be able to tow around a boat at some point.

Thanks for your tips.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
Mahigeer

As an old Toyota mechanic, I am bias toward Toyota.

With exception of a Dodge cargo van (Toyota does not make/sell that size in US), all my vehicles are Toyotas.

Nothing but problem with my previous Chevy and now Dodge van.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Dannowar

I like my Tacoma. Get 4wd and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
monstahfish

Are you buying new or used? I've had a handful of Fords and they are making a great product right now. As an industrial designer I can say that I'm very impressed by the engineering and design features on the new f150 and would buy one but I'm holding off for the smaller ranger that will be coming out late next year. My 2011 escape has close to 100k miles on it, and done probably more offroad, towing and car topping than any other out there and has only one minor issue with a computer glitch where it gives a hard shift once a month. Totally different vehicle but gives you an idea of how well their vehicles run. Toyotas are good too can't knock em.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Support our workers, buy American. I'm partial to Ford, 15 years now in my 4x4 F150 and still going strong with only minor work done. Had a F150 before this one that I traded to get the 4x4.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
Are you buying new or used? I've had a handful of Fords and they are making a great product right now. As an industrial designer I can say that I'm very impressed by the engineering and design features on the new f150 and would buy one but I'm holding off for the smaller ranger that will be coming out late next year. My 2011 escape has close to 100k miles on it, and done probably more offroad, towing and car topping than any other out there and has only one minor issue with a computer glitch where it gives a hard shift once a month. Totally different vehicle but gives you an idea of how well their vehicles run. Toyotas are good too can't knock em.
I am looking for used. Assuming its reliable. I am an engineer, but a software engineer. I can t STAND dealing with... {{Disgust}} mechanics... {{cringe}}.. Nuts... bolts... washers.... gaskets!!!! what horrid things! Hell, I dont even change my own oil. car diarrhea... gads get a diaper folks!

I also have a preference for American Made. Ford or Dodge.. MakoBob recommended (A GLOWING recommendation) Ram 2500. F150 is what I was thinking, but that is why I ask. Now I am expanding my scope.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

If you dont go full size diesel, at least consider an eco-diesel. Such as the ram 1500. If you HAVE to go f150 I would go eco-boost. The advantage of the diesels are fuel economy and power. Definitely get the 4 wheel drive. The new titan xd's with the optional cummins look good on paper and I believe toyota will be coming into the diesel world very soon also.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
tacmik

The way I look at it is that most vehicles in the same price range are pretty much equal. Look for what you can afford that fits your needs and who really cares if it is a ford or Toyota or dodge or chevy. In the same price range they are pretty much equal. Buying used look at what comes with it and the maintenance that was done on it.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
Mahigeer

When you go to this link, you will see that the Toyota Tacoma is assembled in San Antonio Texas.
Which the last time I checked, it is still in the United States.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

If you are old enough to remember Ford had a commercial which said something to the effect that
“Quality is job one and Ford has improved 50%”. 50%?? It had that much room for improvement?

Be sure to listen to any diesel that you buy. Your neighbors may not like it every time you start it.
Toyota parts and service are not cheap, but the factory part is what makes them reliable.

Establishing a relation with an independent auto shop is a good way to get good service at a less than dealer price.

Consumer Report magazine and website is a less bias place to look for ratings. They are done by actual owners of the vehicles.

Good luck anyway you choose.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
kayakfisherman

My 4x4 toyota saved my life in a recent roll over on the ortega. I just surpassed the 300K mark.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Support our workers, buy American. I'm partial to Ford, 15 years now in my 4x4 F150 and still going strong with only minor work done. Had a F150 before this one that I traded to get the 4x4.
Toyota Tacoma: made in San Antonio, Texas

Ford 150: made in Mexico
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

I Love what you do for ME!!!!!

Old 11-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

There is a reason people are partial to manufacturers, it can and will make a difference. Some cars, some years, were just plain flops! Do your research and end up with a good vehicle.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #14
FleshandBlood

You can never go wrong with a Tacoma or Tundra built to last and I mean it. There is a reason why you will consistently see Toyotas with 200 plus thousand miles all day long for sale. I'm in the same boat as you looking at both options and what is out there. I've decided to tow a 17 foot center console with an FJ Cruiser. Incredibly dependable and 4x4.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #15
skrilla

Toyota. 250k and still going strong. Besides oil changes this year the only other thing I had to replace was the air freshener.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #16
Raskal311

I've been eyeing a Silverado... so pretty
Old 11-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #17
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Toyota Tacoma: made in San Antonio, Texas - profits shipped overseas

Ford 150: made in Michigan and Missouri
Fixed it for you
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #18
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

my 2006 Nissan Titan has 150k miles and 4 oil changes , yes you read that right 4 oil changes. I'm on my 3rd set of tires, and 2nd battery. It pulls our skipjack no problem, to the Sacramento river, Havasu, and San Diego all from the OC this past summer. Get what you can afford. not just monthly payment but insurance and gas too!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #19
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
my 2006 Nissan Titan has 150k miles and 4 oil changes , yes you read that right 4 oil changes. I'm on my 3rd set of tires, and 2nd battery. It pulls our skipjack no problem, to the Sacramento river, Havasu, and San Diego all from the OC this past summer. Get what you can afford. not just monthly payment but insurance and gas too!
"Just because you could it doesn't mean you should". LoL picked up a 2012 titan recently.... god dam thing gets 9mpg without any cargo... god damit. LoL
Old 11-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #20
cris

Man that picture is one of my dreams
cris is offline   Reply With Quote