Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Baja Convoy/October on the Fly

Maybe its the Anthony Bourdain biopic or me just missing Mako and his constant invites to the unknown..

Anyone know a forum or facebook page specifically veered towards Baja Kayak Fishing; ran by Americans primarily really i'm just looking for people to convoy with down South on fishing trips.. Power in numbers as they say.. I want to hit Bahia LA, Mag Bay.. and of course Gonzaga just am unwilling to travel on my own with my Tacoma and gear..

Anyone interested in reviving October On the Fly? I still need to cross a Rooster off my list.. We could do it old school style everyone takes turns cooking for the group; maybe Clementina and the restraunt would be open like old times or we could just be like Kai and pack the smoker :P

-Stevie

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 05-09-2022 at 08:13 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #2
Mahigeer

I believe there is a Baja Fishing Convoys that has trips to Baja.

Orkid, the lady former manager of Cedros Outdoors Adventures now has her own operation.

https://bajafishingconvoys.com/
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
Sloberdog
Junior

Baja always sounds like fun

Stevie - I'm down with heading down to Baja most anytime and duration...the perk of retiring early to take advantage of my health...and my wife still working...while I can. I have a very thirsty Ford F250 4x4 V10, truck bed pop-up camper (tent camping and moonlight camping also works), and an Outback.

I would like to fish the lagoon just north of Abreojos for Halibut and Corvina this year, as well as the north and south Pacific coasts for beach Corbina and Spotfin. Would absolutely be in forbig Roosterfish around the La Paz and Southern Baja areas.

I was in Scorpion Bay in Sept 2020 surfing/kayak/shore fishing and the upper Pacific coast "Seven Sisters" area in Feb 2021 for surfing/kayak fishing. I'm way overdue for a Baja adventure.

Like Stevie, I would also like to meet other Baja fishing/kayak/surfing doers who are mindful outdoor adventurers. Joining or creating a crew of like minded Baja bound individuals to journey with would be ideal.

- Gabe in San Diego
Sloberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
verdin77
Junior

Up for a Baja trip as well....

I don't have as much flexibility but would be up for a trip as well. Open to locations. I've driven multiple times to Bay of LA and Gonzaga but haven't done any kayak fishing.
verdin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #5
stevie951
Lurker

Gabe, i've never been further south of San Quintin but I am game to get down south further every time.. I got my tacoma now so would love to get her down as i had previoulsy only traveled in my 2014 honda civic 2 door with a roof rack

Whats the best time of year to fish those lagoons? Honestly its kinda a now or wait game after next month its just too damn hot down there... stop over in San Quintin one night and float for the halibut there for sure too.. I could be game to take two weeks off late next month, or wait till it cools down till Septemberish.. do it old school like mako did it and everyone takes turns making dinner or everyman for himself im not opposed to either way.. Let me know we can iron stuff out here then when things get rolling a bit more start a new thread to confirm others down to convoy..

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
Old 05-19-2022, 03:02 AM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I'll be watching this Stevie as I can provide some pretty good insight into kayak fishing all of the areas mentioned, plus a few more. Of course, any and all are welcome to visit me in Bahia Asuncion. I have given up my kayak now, in favor of the extra range that a little tin boat gives but I can for sure put you on some fish in this area.

On the Pacific side, you almost never have to worry about the heat unless you go way south like Mag Bay and beyond. In fact I am headed to Bahia de Los Angeles today to get into some nice warm weather and hopefully get into some yellowtail and cabria.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:07 AM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

It's been 3 decades since my last Baja adventure. Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses. Someday I would like to revisit Baja with a kayak instead of an aluminum skiff.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:26 AM   #8
Sloberdog
Junior

Big Roosterfish and numbers seem to best in May-June, though alwyas around in the summer, usually much smaller in size. I like to watch Tailhunter weekly reports from La Paz to see what is biting. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBL...fiVzW0g/videos

For Pacific side surf fishing and lagoon/estuary fishing, Sept-November seems to be some of the better times for a variety of species. This same time makes fishing the Sea of Cortez more bearable as well. I definitely want to hit up Gonzaga Bay sometime this fall.

This YT channel has great Gonzaga Bay fishing videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/PESCAENKAY...ONZALEZ/videos

I prefer the everyone plan and bring what they want to eat and drink, and share in the cooking/prep of the daily dinner catch. I obviously prefer quick and easy food method, followed by a cold beer.

That said, June is wide open, as is August, October, and November.

-Gabe
Old 05-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #9
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloberdog View Post
I prefer the everyone plan and bring what they want to eat and drink, and share in the cooking/prep of the daily dinner catch. I obviously prefer quick and easy food method, followed by a cold beer.

That said, June is wide open, as is August, October, and November.

-Gabe

I'm thinking October then brother.. I'm wide open as well so let's circle that.. as to whether we go sea of cortez or pacific side i'm game but i think if we go pacific side we should link up with Rossman the San Quintin Halibut Killer himself.. I have SENTRI do you my man? If not no worries i'll roll in regular lanes with you and others then we asll stop to get proper documentation and on our way... shoot me a text my man 951.285.6440

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 05-27-2022 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:11 PM   #10
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I'll be watching this Stevie as I can provide some pretty good insight into kayak fishing all of the areas mentioned, plus a few more. Of course, any and all are welcome to visit me in Bahia Asuncion. I have given up my kayak now, in favor of the extra range that a little tin boat gives but I can for sure put you on some fish in this area.

On the Pacific side, you almost never have to worry about the heat unless you go way south like Mag Bay and beyond. In fact I am headed to Bahia de Los Angeles today to get into some nice warm weather and hopefully get into some yellowtail and cabria.

Rossman... Brother.. I was thinking about you in this expedition planning i'm more than gratefull you chimed in.. I'll contact you.. We will bring you care packagaes circumstances permitting.. hiope to see you and the pelagics soon..

Tight lines

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 05-27-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:00 PM   #11
Sloberdog
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
I'm thinking October then brother.. I'm wide open as well so let's circle that.. as to whether we go sea of cortez or pacific side i'm game but i think if we go pacific side we should link up with Rossman the San Quintin Halibut Killer himself.. I have SENTRI do you my man? If not no worries i'll roll in regular lanes with you and others then we asll stop to get proper documentation and on our way... shoot me a text my man 951.285.6440
No SENTRI, did not bother to renew it back in 2008. October is good with me, and the fishing should be peaking in both the upper Sea of Cortez and on the beaches and bays of the Pacific. I will shoot you a text.

We will be forced to purchase $35 or so 6-month tourist VISA, unless you have Mexican Voter ID card. Seems like a racket as they force it on most anyone looking like they are going to be camping...we were told that either we purchased the required VISA it or we wouuld be sent back to the USA and would not be able to enter. I just considered it my donation to support all the military checkpoints that I would be going through.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:33 AM   #12
MrPukaShell

Let me know if this comes about would love to tag along
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:07 PM   #13
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloberdog View Post
No SENTRI, did not bother to renew it back in 2008. October is good with me, and the fishing should be peaking in both the upper Sea of Cortez and on the beaches and bays of the Pacific. I will shoot you a text.

We will be forced to purchase $35 or so 6-month tourist VISA, unless you have Mexican Voter ID card. Seems like a racket as they force it on most anyone looking like they are going to be camping...we were told that either we purchased the required VISA it or we wouuld be sent back to the USA and would not be able to enter. I just considered it my donation to support all the military checkpoints that I would be going through.
Yeah for sure once we pass the border checkpointe if we dont stop at the office to get those visas we are likely to get turned around at any checkpointe that would be a bummer... How's late September sound? Im thinking Gonzaga and Bahia LA or one of two? Hows that sound? Leave Early Monday the 26th come back say Sunday the 2nd or Monday the 3rd? Meet up somewhere in Calexico before to cross and caravan together?

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
Old 05-31-2022, 05:08 PM   #14
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Let me know if this comes about would love to tag along
All we need now is kai and his smoker for some pulled pork

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
Old 06-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #15
stevie951
Lurker

Alrighttttt.. I think we have locked down a time frame... Mid to Late September..

just need to lock down a venue..

Rossman has graciously offered us camping on his property in Asuncion BUT it's a 12.5 hour drive from the Border so we could stop over in San Quintin at the Old Mill and Don Eddies maybe hit the estuaries for some Halibut the next morning then head south after? September is pelagic season for this area as to why he offered us his home court which will be respected without a doubt..

or

We can hit Bahia Los Angeles with a stop over in Puertocitos/Campo La Polma..

Like i said, late september likely a week leave Sunday/Monday the 18th or 19th and come back Sun/Mon the 25th or 26th

Votes now! i'm kosher with either but traveling down south on the pacific side sounds pretty awesome.. will start a new thread once we decide on venue... SO WHO IS IN?

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 06-06-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #16
Sloberdog
Junior

I will likely not be able to make it as I have family plans for 2 weeks TBD in September on the east coast.

I personally have a low desire to fish San Quintin or Bay of LA as I have already been there. Woulld like to stick to budget fishing on the kayaks or wading. Would like to camp and fish in the same area for 2+ days, longer if the fishing and weather is great. I would really like to explore the more remote areas south and north of Abreojos for Corbina/Spotfin on the beaches and Corvina and Halibut in the mangroves/estuaries. Once I finalize my east coast travel dates, I will re-check in and figure it out. Maybe we will need two cayak explorer caravans in the fall of 2022.

One tip about Puertocitos camping, plan on arriving at a campground on a Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday, and expect to be kicked out by noon on a Friday. Last last year, all the campgrounds were sold out Friday-Sunday. The Mexicans and Arizonians love this place. Hopefully 2022 brings less crowds.